1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

3. "Muppet Guys Talking" Debuts On-line
    Watch the inspiring documentary "Muppet Guys Talking", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppet release of the year.

4. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Sesame Street Gets New Executive Producer

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Pig's Laundry, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Today it was announced that Ben Lehmann would be the new executive producer, replacing the more controversial Brown Johnson. Lehmann has been with the show since 2001 and became supervising producer in 2015:
    http://deadline.com/2017/12/sesame-...tive-producer-sesame-workshop-hbo-1202225327/

As with any EP switch, this will no doubt be a new era for the show with some interesting changes. Good or bad? Who knows, we'll just have to wait and see what the future holds.

mr3urious and cahuenga like this.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

What happened to Carol-Lynn Parente?

3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I dunno about Carol. She's a writer for the show now, so these must have been some power shift.

But this seems good. Brown Johnson sprung from nowhere and this guy has been around the show for awhile.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  4. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Could we see the show move away from the super juvenile focus it's been reverting back to recently?

Well, it depends on how much sway an EP has on the creative direction.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  5. D'Snowth

True. Just because someone is an executive producer doesn't always necessarily mean they're also the showrunner as well.

6. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I really hope and pray that these are good changes. And I'm glad Brown Johnson is gone. I cannot stand that *****. She will always be known as the woman who destroyed the Sesame Street we know and love. I hope Ben can revive a lot of the aspects of the show that are now gone, such as moving Oscar's can back to it's old location, putting the construction doors back up, and hopefully re-hiring all the older humans.

7. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

As much as I'd really love for those to happen, I doubt it will at this time, especially the latter. However, we are getting close to the 50th anniversary, so something like that is I guess viable.

8. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

The older cast members were hardly even on the show when they were let go. Maria, Bob, Susan, Gordon, and Gina all only appeared in one or two episodes each by their last season after years of gradually being phased out, not counting the few episodes where they only appeared as background characters. And now that they've been gone for three seasons (soon to be four now that season 49 finished filming) I think it's far beyond too late to bring them back. Kids (y'know, the real target audience) wouldn't know or care who they are. And some of you guys keep forgetting, just like every major change in the entire show's history, there was a curriculum reason for their departures. It wasn't about Brown Johnson having a personal vendetta against them, it was educators and care takers that complained that such a huge cast confused the kids watching, and therefore they would benefit more with a smaller group of characters. Carol Lynn Parente has alluded to this, Brown said this, even Bob McGrath said this. This decision had research and testing involved, with children in mind. So, no, they're not going to bring back Susan and Gordon just because of a few adults' nostalgia for a show they don't even watch anymore.

muppetgem and Schfifty like this.
  9. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

T'is the sad truth. As much as I would like to see the older humans again, SS has to stay with the times.

10. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

And take a look at Luis - he appeared in one of the Chrysler videos last summer! That shows that the older cast members aren't being left out entirely.

At the very least, I would see some of them making a special appearance for the 50th anniversary. And I agree about the research and curriculum stuff. If it's been established already for the best for kids, then we might not want to tamper with it too much.

muppetgem likes this.
  11. D'Snowth

I asked the castmembers when I met them at the Knoxville Fanboy Expo if anything special for Season 50 was in the works, and they each told me that plans were already being made, and Bob even said there was the possibility of making special live appearances for concerts and such, so that at least shows you're they're in the know about what's coming up, even if they're no longer on the series proper.

I mean, that was explained at great length, that they're still involved with Sesame to some degree or another, even if they're not on the series proper anymore.

muppetgem likes this.
  12. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

What comes to the cast members, they don't last forever. Something we have to face.

13. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

WAIT...SHE WAS THE ONE ?!?!

SHE WAS THE ONE WHO MOVED OSCAR"S CAN ?!? Okay I'm NOW GLAD SHE"S GONE. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE should move Oscar's from his original position on the show. We already had a few episodes dealing with that and it showed that if it isn't broke, then DON"T FIX IT!!!

Of everything that is coming to Season 50, I truly do hope and pray that we see Oscar back in his ORIGINAL POSITION and the past 5 years were nothing more than an annoyance to him. :grouchy:

14. Oscarfan

It was not directly her decision, and they gave a pretty good, legitimate reason to move Oscar to a centralized location.

But, he's not moving back. They're not bringing back those construction doors; what, is that the new "funky chimes?" The older humans are probably not coming back on the show in a full capacity; I expect they will for whatever anniversary stuff they're planning and that's it.

No change on Sesame Street is permanent, but you guys aren't thinking realistically. You never do.

And calling a woman you've never met or have any relation to a nasty word is childish and pathetic. Even if it's a childrens show, you're adults. Start acting like it.

15. D'Snowth

Then God shall rain unholy **** down on Sesame Street until they bring back those iconic construction doors that offered Big Bird privacy for so many years!
    NO! NO! NO! I DON'T WANNA, I DON'T WANNA, I DON'T WANNA!!!
    [​IMG]

16. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

Look I'm not trying to be mean, and I can understand if they have their perfectly good reasons for these changes.

However, while they may have their legitimate understandable reasons for the various recent changes to the show It doesn't change the fact that there are certain things that you can't truly alter.

Take it from the fans perspective. The show has been on for almost 50 years and in the last 5 years alters the show setting to a way that isn't that familiar as it is new.

Remember the "Around the Corner" era ? Well they had an episode based on it to showcase it to the audience. Today's audience doesn't even get that.

The characters may change, but the show itself is far from it's former iconic self. It feels more like Season 1 of Sesame Street with the limited adults on the show, but it isn't Season 1.

Do you get what I'm trying to say ?

I'm not trying to be mean and I can understand that you can't stop progress and must get with the times, but would you have hoped that SOME THINGS remain the same in certain cases ? :(

17. Oscarfan

With the way the show airs and can be watched, it makes sense to let the new status quos speak for themselves. Kids today can see any episode in any order they want, so having episodes to reflect change isn't necessary because the child may not even watch that first.

And sure, ATC got a whole how-ya-do, but there wasn't anything about it when it left.

18. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

Dude, chill out.

Not trying to sound rude or mean, but you really shouldn't get so worked up over such a minor detail.

19. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

Look I can be calm and I do apologize if I did acted out of order. It was just a quick to jump to conclusions with me. Once again I do apologize.

20. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Lmao! I love fat *** Francis. :D