Sesame Street History

mikealan

Reaction score
Hello. I remember everything about Sesame Street now. Here is the history of it:

July 1969 (before Sesame Street):
First human regulars-Gordon, Susan, Bob, Mr. Hooper and the kids
First Muppets-only Kermit, Bert and Ernie, and the Cookie Monster (which he is named 'Monster')
Five first shows tested

November 1969 (now Sesame Street!):
More muppets added-Big Bird, Oscar (ORANGE), Grover (BROWNISH-GREEN), the Anything Muppets and various monsters
Animated dots series
Animated openings before the theme song
The falling baker counting series
"Jazzy Spies"-animated counting series that end with spies that reveal the numbers 1-10
Three letters and two numbers sponsored
Kids can count up to ten
Oscar's trash can and Big Bird's home added
Live-action closing

1970's:
Grover's brownish-green fur changes into blue fur
Oscar's orange fur changes into green fur
Cookie Monster got his name from the 1971 premiere
Ernie's pink-and-orange shirt changes into red-and-blue shirt
Big Bird has more feathers
More muppets added-Herry, the Count, Little Bird, Sherlock Hemlock, Roosevelt Franklin, Herbert Birdsfoot, etc.
Mr. Snuffleuphagus-Big Bird's imaginary friend, nobody believes him
More live human actors added-David, Maria, Luis, Molly, Tom, Rafael, etc.
Sam the Robot-the full-body muppet robot that talked and walked slowly that is shown only on street scenes and greets the SS inhabitants like friendly 9th-10th graders
the animated pinball machine series added in the late '70's-took place of the race cars/spies series
Animated openings change into the regular theme song with the episode number in the late 70's
A large and friendly muppet dog named Woof-Woof changes into Barkley
Animated closing with muppets
Two letters and one number are sponsored
Kids can count up to 20
Sesame Street On Ice shows are produced

1980's:
Mr. Hooper dies, David re-runs Hooper's Store-1983
Everyone finally sees Mr. Snuffleupagus-1985
David hires Gina to work at Hooper's-1987
Maria and Luis got married-1988
Maria is pregnant and she and Luis got their new daughter named Gabriella-1989
Gordon and Susan's son Miles is born-1985
More human regulars added like Gina and Uncle Wally
More muppets added like Telly Monster, Elmo, the Honkers, the Dingers, Forgetful Jones and Placido Flamingo
David dies-1989
Two letters and one number are still sponsored
Kids can count up to 40
Live-action closing with Barkley
Sesame Place theme park opens
Sesame Street Live arena show is produced
Joe Raposo dies

early-mid 1990's:
Jim Henson and Richard Hunt dies
Mr. Handford re-runs Hooper's
Even more muppets added like Zoe, Rosita, Baby Bear, Benny the Bunny and Davey & Joey Monkey
the "Around the Corner" set is behind Sesame Street for just a couple of years
Telly and Baby Bear become best friends
The SS opening changes, the music is calypso, scenes with muppets
Tickle Me Elmo dolls are available in stores
Two letters and one number are still sponsored
Animated closing with Elmo, Big Bird and the kids
Jon Stone dies

1998-2000:
Elmo becomes more and more popular and appears on his own segment, "Elmo's World"
Alan is introduced and re-runs Hooper's
The SS opening changes-scenes with Big Bird following the kids to Sesame Street
New segments added like Sesame Street Goes to Day Care, Monster Day Care and Ernie's Show-and-Tell
Jeffery Moss dies
Muppets like Bert, Ernie, Big Bird, Zoe, etc. present the letter/number of the day
New animated segments like Suzie Kaboozie skits
One letter and one number sponsored
Lulu-the Anything Muppet monster

Today:
Frank Oz quits in 2001 and returns in 2003
Much newer segments like Cookie Monster presenting the Letter of the Day, the Count presenting the Number of the Day, Big Bird's own opening scene, Monster Time: features classic monster segments and the Monster Clubhouse, the newest monster segment, Hero Guy with Baby Bear and his imaginary animated friend named Hero Guy, Global Grover, and Journey To Ernie (segments where Big Bird has to search for Ernie before it fades to the classic Ernie and Bert segment).
Mr. Noodle's brother Mr. Noodle dies-2003
One letter and one number are sponsored
Kids can count up to 100

That's the history of Sesame Street...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the summarized history lesson, Mikealan. There's just one thing wrong with that presentation. Susan never gave birth to Miles, played by Rosco Orman's real-life son Miles Orman. No, what happened was that in 1986/1987, Gordon and Susan decided to adopt a son and brought Baby Miles back with them to Sesame Street. This was done to help teach about the availability of adoption for parents who aren't able of having naturally born children of their own. I distinctly remember this happened around that time, cause back then when I was still firmly connected to SS, my mom pointed out a black and white picture as part of an article highlighting this as the big-to-do moment of the season in our local newspaper's entertainment section. Hope this helps, have a great day, and thanks again for the briefer about our favorite Street.

mikealan

Reaction score
:smile:

Hey, Count! Maybe we can add the history of Sesame Street I typed on the Sesame Street Encyclopedia site. I hope Tommie and Warrick would make the "History" page for this site...

Censored

Reaction score
Also, the statement "David dies" is technically incorrect. The actor who played him, Northern Calloway, died, but the character moved to live on his grandmother's farm.

zrs70

Reaction score
airline

Regarding animated opening and closing. I don't remember this.... Can you elaborate?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I would still like to find a color photo of the brownish-green Grover. BTW, was there another version of the S.S. theme tune besides the original, the calyspo, and 1998-2001, and the 2003-present one?

ssetta

Reaction score
Nope, that's all the opening themes.

SSUfan

Reaction score
desperatly searching for Sesame Street Unpaved episodes

Hi everyone ,

I am new here does anyone here have copies of Sesame Street unpaved episodes which i may be able to purchase I have been searching for these episodes for such a long time please help..
Martin

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
SSUfan said:
Hi everyone ,

I am new here does anyone here have copies of Sesame Street unpaved episodes which i may be able to purchase I have been searching for these episodes for such a long time please help..
Martin
Looky hyuh ...

SSUfan

Reaction score
not sure... Whts the name of the Sesame street out law that wanted to know Y?