Sesame Street in a unique fictional world

DTF

Reaction score
Big Bird walks onto the set of the reader's imaginations as he joins the rest of the cast. "Oh, hi, welcome to this thread. We weren't sure where it fit, but we figured fan fiction was best." Three people in 1780s outfits walk up to them. "And you can even play along."

"Hello, Mr. Bird," Benjamin Franklin said. "These are my friends John Adams and John Jay and Mr. Jay's family."

As Adams leaves, Oscar looks strangely at John Jay from his trash can. "Huh, you don't look like a J; more like an I."

"I beg your pardon," Jay said.

Franklin explained, "That's Oscar. I learned when i visited last time he can be quite groucy."

"Yeah, now if you wanna look like a J get on your knees and kneel; then you'll have kind of a hook on the bottom. At least a little bit."

Big Bird said, "Hold it, Oscar, that story's part of this other story. Maybe we should explain why."

"What, first you got a guy who thinks he's a J, now we got another who calls himself Y?" Oscar shook his head. "At least it'd be easier to be a Y. But, I still say you all look like I's."

Gordon came out of his apartment at that moment and explained. "Hey, welcome again to Sesame Street, Mr. Franklin. We already told a bit about your episodes in this game they're playing on an alternate history site, but we thought you'd like to help us."

"Hey," Cookie Monster rushed in speaking, "me figure out what kind of cookies they have in Poland, inc ase me elected King there."

"Wha, hold it, Cookie Monster. This is going to sound like complete nonsense unless I start explaining."

"Okay, we wait."

"Thanks. Anyway, the poster, DTF, wanted to tell you about a fun little game he is part of in a group called alternatehistory.com, where people give personal accounts of what's called an ISOT; standing for Island in the Sea Of Time. In this particualr one, the United States is sent back in time from September 3, 1983 to the same date in 1783. Of coruse, one of the cultural aspects would be some interesting changes or episodes in Sesame Street."

"You mean our orange friend might talk normal?" Oscar asked.

"Oscar...go back and work on the letters," Gordon said. "Anyway, he mentioned only a few episodes, one produced right after the ISOT where Benjamin Franklin appears..."

We see Big Bird dancing out onto the street singing: "'...One of those magical things/You wake up one morning not knowing what life brings/And suddenly you see something yuou never thought you'd see/A whole new world outside your door, oh what a mystery.' Oh, hi, welcome to Sesame Street..."

And later, Franklin meets Oscar for the first time...

Oscar pops his head out of his garbage can. "Who are you?"

Big Bird introduced him. "Oscar, this is Benjamin Franklin."

"Ah, you don't look anything like him!"

"How can you possibly know that?" Franklin asked with a laugh.

"'Cause, I'm a grouch, it's my job!""

Gordon was back explaining. "Then, there was the one where John Adams drops of Franklin and John Jay. And, the letter confusion you saw above wasn't the only funny bit. Of coruse, there were the normal things like talking about what J words had been common in 1783 and what hadn't. Then, there was the one described when a member of European royalty showed up on Sesame Street.., as DTF posted about here..."

"mar. 1, 1990

It's still not uncommon, given the need to relieve stress, to see some college students watching Sesame Street in the basement lounge at Lowry Center in college. I haven't heard much bout it, though my younger cousins do still watch it of course, but I've heard that they really had a great time a few years back when real live royalty appeared on the show. One of the things they discussed with the first Event-centered street story was how when America had been transported to, there were real kigns and queens and princesses and princes.

Well, it was so funny. The king who appeared - I hadn't caught who, jsut overheard the conversation backw hen it happened(1) - was asked things like if he'd ever been a frog and had a princess kiss him. Another asked if his wife was Cinderella, Snow White, or Sleeping Beauty, and there was a discussion of how each Prince Charming culd have been a son of a king from the royal family of Charming, just as this king was from a certain royal family.

It was quite education as well, as Cookie Monster wanted to be King over someplace so all his subjects coudl be made to bake cookies for him, and after his errant tries the king had to explain that while in his country he was a ruler, he still had to avoid being too autocratic and give some rule to parliament. Also, Cookie Monster couldn't be King unless her inherited the throne except in a very unusual case like Poland. (After whcih, of coruse, he asked "What kind cookies they have in Poland?")

----------------

(1) not sure which would have a state visit and film, I can see George III, now over his madness, coming to see the land his colonies had become, but Louis XVI is also possible or just some smaller place."

Rosita suddenly walked in front of Gordon. "So, while you'd have to actually join the forum to participate, you could even add stuff. Or, if you want, you coudl just add it on here. For instance, instead of Mexico, I'd be from something called the New Territories, becasue the United States would buy all of Spanish lands down to Panama; out of which 3 new states were formed in 2003. That was something posted by Glen, who started the thread and came up with the history and political parts of it."

"So," Big Bird explained, "if you were to post on there, you can post personal anecdoes about sesame Street or anything else that you experienced - especially things that might be different - becasue of the 50 United States being back in 1783 and history going from there. Or, if you or your parents weren't in the U.S. as of tht date it's sent back, post as an ancestor or just pretend you were."

"Hey, wait a minute," Oscar complained. "i know this story. The author said the U.S. national debt was gone so there's no more budget problems."

"Yeah, so?" Gordon asked.

"So, if we don't have budget problems, we could still have 130 episodes a year in 2013, or at least not 26. Do you realize how annoying that would be? With no budget problems for Sesame Street I wouldn't get to enjoy all the grouchiness that comes from this board because people complain about the budget!" Oscar groused.

"Yeah, it does make some people grouchy," Gordon said evenly. "It would be a lot better, a lot fairer and a lot more support of education in this timeline."

"So, you'd have to read Glen's posts," Big Bird explained, "and all the others Glen, the original poster, has approved if you want to post there, so you keep your memories of this alternate reality consistent witht he timeline that's beign written; and keep it before the last date Glen posted from, 9/3/04. You could just post ideas here at Muppet Central, too; or, have ideas on totally different histories and how Sesame Street could be different."

"And, just so you can continue to be grouchy," Oscar explained, "even if Sesame Street would have a much better budget in this ISOT or whatever, you have to log in as a member to see it because only members can see this Alien Space Bats forum." Looks at audience. "What, you want the link, too? Sheesh, what is it withyou people? It's
http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=284528"

I hope everyone enjoyed that. If you just want to add ideas here for those episodes I mention, that's fine, too, but it is fun and entertaining to act luike you're posting from an altered timeline, instead of just reading stuff about "no 9/11," etc..