1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Sesame Street Magazine memories

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by minor muppetz, Nov 7, 2005.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I was reading in a thread about Herbert Birdsfoot that Sesame Street Magazine first began in 1970. Is this true? I would have thought it began in the 1980s. It is weird that the magazine began so soon after the show started.

Anyway, does anybody have any memories of this magazine? Any memories of the really early magazines?
  2. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

That was my post you read in the Herbert Birdsfoot thread. Some time ago, I saw him and Grover on the cover of Sesame Street Magazine at an antique store. I'm pretty positive they were on issue #2 and I'm pretty sure the copyright was 1970. I may have to go back and see if I can still get those 2 magazines. I think the other one was the first issue. Just flipping through them brought back memories because so many classic characters were there on the pages! And sometimes, entire sketches performed on the show are drawn out in the magazine.
    At the library I work at, we get the new issue of Sesame Street magazine all the time, so I get to flip through it whenever it comes in.:)

I remember looking at Sesame Street magazine some as a child, but never actually subscribing to it or anything. The main Sesame Street literature I remember are the great picture books.:( :p
  3. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

This was a great magazine. My mom subscribed for me when i was a little kid and I loved it! I dunno why we stopped getting it. I thought it was because the magazine discontinued. Is it still in business? WHy don't they offer it at the market?
  4. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

Sesame Street began in 1970. I've seen the first issue for sale on Ebay and it's a drawing of Oscar the Grouch.

Sesame Street Magazine is still in publication, but you can only get it as a bonus through subscribing to Parents Magazine. We still get it for our daughter, but the catch is, we have to subscribe to Parents as well.
  5. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

this was my favorite children's mag ever! Highlights 4 Children never even came CLOSE!

Here's a memory, but my memory doesn't serve. Help is necesary:

There was a game which I still remember playing with cut-outs of the SS characters and they're going around some kind of track. And the object was to get your fave character to the FINISH line first or something.

HELP! :confused:

BJ :grouchy:
  6. Pug Lover

Pug Lover New Member

There was also The Electric Company magazine in the same series.
  7. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Sesame Street magazine was great during the time that I read it. There were several interesting stories about interactions between characters that are every bit a part of Sesame Street history to me as skits on the show. They also had some cool games and activities in those magazines, like making your own story with random beginning, middle and end segments, stories that you could fold in to read like a book, and other things. I have a couple of back issues that are really cool. Don't really have any idea what it's like these days though.
  8. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Yes, the interesting about the Electric Company magazine is that its publication began while the show was in its prime, yet continued to be published some time after the EC was canceled. You can always spot the post-cancellation issues because all the characters from the show are missing.
  9. rumtar_10165

rumtar_10165 New Member

another mag from the CTW series was 321 Contact. and it expired due to the series being a flop, i guess.
  10. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

321 Contact was not a flop.
  11. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Not that I mean to sound harsh but what's so strange about the magazine debuting not long after the shows debut? the 1st SS album was also from 1970.
  12. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

That is a good point. I don't know why I thought it would be strange for the magazine to begin so soon, yet I never thought it was weird that the first album was made during the first year.
  13. Andrew T

Andrew T New Member

What I do find strange is that 3-2-1 Contact magazine apparently debuted in advance of the television show. Here's a picture of the first issue from November 1979, from a completed eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/First-edition-o...itemZ6980415096QQcategoryZ82143QQcmdZViewItem

Neither would I call the magazine a flop. It was published until 2001 (although for the last year or two it was renamed Contact Kids), over a decade after the last new episode of 3-2-1 Contact was produced for TV.
  14. GonzoLeaper

That's cool. Never saw The Electric Company when I was growing up, but I've seen some of it in recent years. (I've got an episode taped from Noggin that includes a Spider-Man sketch - one of the main reasons I wanted to see the show, being a superhero fan)
    I used to watch 321 Contact all the time!!! That show was awesome! I still remember the theme song! It rocks!:)
    And of course, I was all over Sesame Street! And I do remember reading the Sesame Street magazine some when I was a kid.
    By the way, today I picked up those 3 Sesame Street magazines I saw at the antique store some months ago. And for the record, I've now got the April 1971 issue, October 1971, and January 1972. The April 1971 issue is identified as Volume 1, issue 4. So I guess that means the magazine started in January 1971- about a year and a half after Sesame Street started. :p
  15. GonzoLeaper

Well, just flipping through these books, it was so cool to see some great black and white photographs. One was of Matt Robinson- the first Gordon- and the kids at the corner arbor area. And there's another great picture of Big Bird and Mr. Hooper in a "behind the scenes" picture taken in front of Hooper's Store. Very beautiful.:cry: If I get hold of a scanner sometime, I'll have to try to upload the pictures.:)
  16. GonzoLeaper

17. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

oof...

What was the name of that game??

PLEASE, HELP ME!!! (caps)

BJ