1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Sesame Street pays tribute to Fred Rogers May 16

Discussion in 'Sesame Appearances' started by SuperGrover, May 6, 2003.

1. SuperGrover Member

The May 10-16 issue of TV Guide says, "Big Bird, Elmo and other Sesame Street favorites will pay tribute to the late Fred Rogers" at some point during The 30th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards. Airs Friday, May 16, 8 PM/ET on ABC.

Also, apparently during the Emmy telecast, if you go to www.abc.com and click on the "Enhanced TV" link, you can vote for your favorite No.1 most memorable daytime TV moment from the "10 Most Memorable" they have listed there -- one of which is the "Goodbye, Mr. Hooper" episode of Sesame Street from 1983. Then I guess Kelly Ripa will announce the winning moment on the air before the outstanding drama series award.
  2. Phillip Administrator

Thanks for the info Travis. Looking forward to the appearance a week from Friday.
  3. trekkie1701E New Member

Awesome news! Thanks
  4. Jivepuppet Member

A May 16th tribute seems overly fitting. It was May 16, 1990 that Jim henson died.:cry:
  5. Super Scooter New Member

You think they'll do a brief tribute to Jim along with it?
  6. trekkie1701E New Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they snuk in Jim's name somewhere
  7. MuppetFan123 Member

Does anyone know if the tribute to Mr. Rogers is going to be live or on tape ?

Basically, is Elmo and Big Bird going to be on the stage in Radio City ? I live in NYC and would go if they are there live, but if its on a tape, its better to watch on TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Michael
  8. Bean Bunny New Member

Both Emlo and Bear lost to that Evan Steven kid who cursed on live on when he got the award. Something tell me that Emlo wasn't say pimp.
  9. sarah_yzma Active Member

I dunno he could have.....it was nice, but Caroll sounded a little off to me...of course that could just be me;)

Sarah
  10. Green Gelfling New Member

i thought the tribute was really cute but i tuned in just after carolls bit. and i did see a snipped of jim henson during one of the montages<?> they showed.

makes me wish that i was six years old again and watching all the great childrens shows of "my" era.:cry:
  11. trekkie1701E New Member

Carroll did sound a little off (His voice sounded higher), but not enough to bether me. Big Bird still sounded basically the same. Not as much as in his heyday, but bazsically the same.

Did other areas show the clips of Mister Rogers on television? I didn't see them.

Very nice tribute, though ... I smiled through the whole thing.
  12. Ol' Buddy Bert New Member

I think Matt Vogel was playing Big Bird for the tribute. It didn't sound like Caroll to my ears at all.
  13. trekkie1701E New Member

Really? To me, Big Bird sounded a lot different than he does in JTE.
  14. trekkie1701E New Member

Hey, maybe we could ask him at one of his signings :)
  15. Ryan New Member

It was beautiful. I was in tears! Grover looks fantastic! He looks just like he did back in the early 70's! Big Bird was played by Matt. If you can't tell by the voice, you can usually tell by the Bird. Matt's Bird costume has many more feathers on his head, and his eyes are closer together. Anyway, it was a very touching tribute. Very great. Fran was great too. One of the few times I enjoyed Zoe. They also did a short "In Memorium" afterwards for some soap stars and Lynne Thigpen (big applause on this one) and Michael Jeter.:cry:
  16. sarah_yzma Active Member

so it was Matt....

it was a beautiful bit....I thought elmo would steal the show, but he didn't.....

Sarah
  17. Super Scooter New Member

I do not think it was Matt's Big Bird at all. I can tell the difference between the two pretty well, and it was a live show after all. Caroll may have simply been nervous.

But, it didn't sound like Matt's Big Bird to me. It was Caroll's Big Bird on The Wayne Brady Show, and, when he sang he sounded just like that.

I'm pretty sure it was Caroll Spinney.

Eric's deffenitely getting better at Grover, though!
  18. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Caroll Spinney was in my part of the woods all day yesterday. There's a thead about it. He was in San Francisco from about noon to two and Berkley at seven. I think Matt did an excellent job. Only die-hard fans like us probably noticed.

I mentioned in another thread about when they showed the Sesame Street moment of Mr. Hooper's death. Wayne Brady said,"God bless Mr. Hooper" and the brain-dead soap opera crowd laughed. He didn't mean it as a joke and was kind of miffed at them. Ah, the daytime crowd. If they could all have the dignity of their regular Emmy counterparts. :grouchy:
  19. trekkie1701E New Member

Boy, Matt must be getting better at Big Bird then :). His voice sounded a lot more like Spinney's. On JTE, it sounds deeper (Not much, but enough to notice a difference).
  20. ChellisPal Member

this I would have to say was the BEST Muppet appearance I have seen in a very long time. Matt and Eric did an outstanding job, There is no group better than the Sesame Street Muppets to do such a fitting tribute to Mr Rogers. I expected just a few words from Elmo and Big Bird, but this was 100 times better. My only wish was that they could have gone back and forth from the characters to what was being shown on the screen behind them, but like I said, THE BEST MUPPET MOMENT in a long time(hmmm, new topic idea), and should defiantly go down in TV history. I'm glad i have this on tape.