Sesame Street Season 42 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're only filming PART of season 43. That could be anything from story lines to inserts. And I think I have an idea why. I doubt SS would be coming to an end WITHOUT a big hoopla. We knew about Oprah leaving her show almost 2 years in advance, why wouldn't word that SS is ending be well in advance either? Plus, let's face it. NO ONE wants to end SS. Once word actually got out, there'd be loud, protesting letters calling for someone to get fired. And above all, I've seen stuff on PBS that hasn't had new episodes that have been on for years after they stopped .

It's one of two things. 1) They're afraid of another budget crunch at PBS and their own company, so they're taking whatever money they have now and getting some of the next season out of the way... or more likely 2) Just in case the Muppet Movie does well or more Muppet projects are on the way, so certain puppeteers can perform their characters now, before they have to head off to Cali to shoot something else.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I've heard quite a few people talking about how they feel that maybe perhaps it's time that SST comes to an end, and that if it does, they really wouldn't miss too much, considering how much the show has changed beyond recognition.
I have to agree. Even if they stop airing new eps, the show wouldn't be gone for good. They could maybe do what they did when Mr. Rogers retired. Just keep playing repeats from earlier seasons. Though they may be pretty cautious about how far back they would be willing to go. It's definitely something to think about.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No one wants to be the one to cancel Sesame Street... not PBS, not Sesame Workshop... no one. Even if word got out, there'd be nothing but chaos until they brought it back. This isn't a soap opera... they still feel there's a place for it.

And what would they put on in its place, huh? Some lame CGI slow talking show that didn't meet the "high standards" of Nickelodeon and Disney Junior?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'll tell ya what show just got canceled that didn't need to be: America's Most Wanted. And you know WHY it got canceled? Thepresident of Fox Network is basically sayings, "Oh, we weren't making enough money off this show, so we're cutting it loose, and telling John Walsh, screw you buddy." This show isn't about the money, it's about letting people know what dangerous criminals are running around out there that we need to be on the lookout for, whether they've robbed banks, kidnapped children, murdered old people, sexually assaulted girls, whatever... in over 20 years on the air, AMW captured over 1,110+ fugitives.

Next Saturday is supposed to be the big finale, then afterwards, they're going to revive the show every three months or so for 2-hour specials.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... But Sesame Street DOES make money. Why would anyone want to let Elmo loose? Elmo makes a buttload of cash.

But yeah, I heard about that one too. I mean, really... Does Fox actually THINK it has something better to put on Saturday Nights? It IS indeed an important show, and it IS about getting John Q. Public to help search for dangerous criminals. I don't see why that's canned and Cops still manages to stay on the air forevers.... maybe the internet is getting to be too much a competitor for that sort of thing? if that's the case, AMW NEEDS to remain an internet site at least.

But I see SS like I see SNL. There were times in the 1980's where SNL was dangerously close to the chopping block, but it weathered the storm and manages to keep itself up and running no matter how matter of taste the comedy is. It always finds a new audience. Same with the Simpsons. The old schoolers are sick of the show and wan it to end with dignity... but it makes too much money and gets good ratings year after year. Those things are too much of institutions to just easily go away. Sure, Oprah's going away, but that was her decision... and she's still got a network and all those spinoffs she promised to people who helped her lose 5 pounds that one time.

NO ONE wants to be the one that says "Sesame Street is ovah." Look how much fire the guy who killed all the ABC soaps is getting. Multiply that times a thousand.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I'll tell ya what show just got canceled that didn't need to be: America's Most Wanted. And you know WHY it got canceled? Thepresident of Fox Network is basically sayings, "Oh, we weren't making enough money off this show, so we're cutting it loose, and telling John Walsh, screw you buddy." This show isn't about the money, it's about letting people know what dangerous criminals are running around out there that we need to be on the lookout for, whether they've robbed banks, kidnapped children, murdered old people, sexually assaulted girls, whatever... in over 20 years on the air, AMW captured over 1,110+ fugitives.

Next Saturday is supposed to be the big finale, then afterwards, they're going to revive the show every three months or so for 2-hour specials.
I heard about that recently and it's a true shame too given how much good that show and John Walsh done for this country. :frown:

It will be missed.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
A street story with Bert, Ernie, and Oscar? That's just too awesome!
Finally some modern day Bert and Ernie moments, and the involvement of Oscar in the episode is just a bonus. :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I heard about that recently and it's a true shame too given how much good that show and John Walsh done for this country. :frown:

It will be missed.
From what I understand, John Walsh IS TRYING to shop the show to other networks/distributors, etc, so who knows, MAYBE it may come back.

IThere was an article in our paper saying thatthe show was canceled and then rescued once before (sometime in the 90s I believe), maybe it can happen again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm just shocked Fox thinks it can do better with the Saturday Night line up. Virtually no one watches it. That's the slot other networks put shows that are about to die anyway.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, a lot of Fox Saturday Night is almost always pre-empted by some sporting event anyway, so... yeah. :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.