Sesame Street Season 42 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I dislike the block format too. It's like they combined those lousy sketch intros from season 30-32 and the season 33 format, and it doesn't work that well. Matt Vogel's twitter mentioned them spending a couple of weeks filming new Murray stuff (Word on the Street) and also mention Ovejita, so hopefully we'll get some new "tune-ins" and Murray Has a Little Lamb segments.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I still disagree, I feel the block format can work, if perhaps they tweak it a little bit; it all goes back to predictability, which is what kids like, after a while, the original magazine format wouldn't work anymore anyway, kids would start losing interesting because the story keeps being interrupted.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Though I'm all for just going back to the way things were, IF they were to tweak the block format, I would alternate hosts. I like Murray & everything, but there's just too much of him, it's Murray Overload. Between him, Elmo and Abby, it's like SW is forcing them down viewers throats. But as far as alternating, pick a different character to host each show (Grover Day, Ernie & Bert Day, Telly Day, Oscar Day, Big Bird Day, etc.) and have them out interacting in the real world too. That way there could also be a chance for us to see other characters on screen for once, instead of just Murray taking up most of the time like he's been doing for the past two seasons.

And it really sucks, when they first used these block format ratings went UP. I'm not against the ratings going up, just the fact they went up after this format was put into place. I guess there's no sign of it going away.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem I have is with the quality AND quantity of the hosting segments. I like him hosting number/letter of the day and word on the street cold open... but the "It's time for" and Murray guessing game bits just are stale, and take time out of the show, stopping the flow dead.

Somehow, any character hosting the show doesn't seem to work or flow. If Murray were to host the show WITH Ovejita (which he SHOULD) it would be a whole lot better. Maybe Ernie and Bert could work. They need characters to PLAY off each other. That's the same reason Elmo's World doesn't work.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And it really sucks, when they first used these block format ratings went UP.
Does that not prove that the block format does, indeed, work? Older fans may not like it since it's not what they grew up with, but we have to remember, the show's not for us, it's for the kids, and if it works with the kids, then that's all there is to it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The block format works... just... it could be better. I still don't like the idea that Abby's Fairy School was an every Day segment, and it only had 13 segments spread out to fill (get ready for this) 70 episodes in 2 seasons! Without reruns, that's 5 or 6 times seeing the SAME episode! With a 10 minute segment, that's basically saying "PLEASE change the channel to our competitors!" Even though the ratings were up, surprisingly enough. But on the other hand, we've only seen half the Ernie and Bert claymation segments in 3 seasons. And those were in the can at least a year in advance.

OOPS! Forgot to add this little gem of a behind the scenes preview with Tyler.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
We're probably only going to see the widescreen ones, and if they're going be showing ones that haven't aired, there's only 7 left. I don't see why if EW can be in 4:3 every show, they can't have Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures (we only saw about 10 of the original ones).

And that video, that episode had better put the Veggie Monster rumor in its grave.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I really enjoyed Lever Lover, I'm looking foward to seeing how it is integrated into an episode. Exile me if you will, but I am a big, BIG fan of Murray and Joey's puppetry. That isn't to say that Murray should be jammed into every episode, but as someone all for the whole "Street Puppetry" sort of thing, puppets interacting with real people outside of a studio environment score real brownie points with me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
We're probably only going to see the widescreen ones, and if they're going be showing ones that haven't aired, there's only 7 left. I don't see why if EW can be in 4:3 every show, they can't have Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures (we only saw about 10 of the original ones).
I've been saying it for the past 3 seasons now, but ... really... the widescreen stuff is bogus. They don't air it in WS in some areas, half the stuff they constantly reuse

is full frame anyway. Why deny us a couple lousy Ernie and Berts (that they SHOULD have shown years ago) because they don't look like the rest of the show, when the rest of the show doesn't look like the rest of the show?

Seriously, I'm putting it in bold now Between the Lions manages to hide the inconsistency between new wideframe segments and older full frame segments with CGI curtains on the sides of the screen. Why Sesame can't manage to use the same trickery is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.