Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4509 - If Me Had That Wand

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Season 45 Episode 4509 - If Me Had That Wand
Thursday October 30, 2014

Abby and Elmo are presenting the number of the day – number six. Abby uses her wand to make six ping-pong balls and Cookie Monster immediately starts thinking about using Abby’s wand to make cookies. Cookie Monster tries to take Abby’s wand but Alan stops him and asks how Cookie thinks Abby would feel if he took her wand. Cookie thinks about it and changes his mind, but how will he get his cookies?

Subject: Math, Self-Regulation
Brought to you by: W & 6
Word on the Street: Astounding – When something is so amazing it takes you by surprise.

If you've seen "If Me Had That Wand" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Missed out on the street story, only remembering it was today when checking the forum for current threads.

Ice Cube and Elmo do some magic tricks to demonstrate "astounding".
Baby dinosaur out of a hat? Turning himself into an actual ice cube? Meh.

Magic School... Where are Penn and Teller?
A Murray dollar, yeah, have fun being arrested for counterfeit coinage.

Dang, the Furry Potter parody wasn't as satisfying as I had been expecting. Yes, they had the signature HP music, and yes, they had Professor Crumblemore, and possibly a small acromantula (not sure who the character voiced by Leslie was when the headmaster was wrapped up in the web)... But it was just your basic cookie sorting tasks. I suppose the third sorting with the frog and dragon cookies was a subtle reference to HP's chocolate frogs and the dragon models to determine which champion would get what dragon, but it just left me feeling flat. This is possibly the first Crumby Pictures sketch that didn't live up to my expectations of parody potential. I give it two thumbs down.

Here's hoping they do better if we get Furry Potter and The Oreos of the Phoenix. :batty:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I kinda agree with the Furry Potter thing. I get the reasons why they'd do something basic for a kid's show, but they really had limitless potential for scenes of the film to mine for the exact purpose. Not to mention the fact it was exactly like the James Bond and POTC parodies, only not as much fun.

This episode was remarkable for one reason. It finally did what I wanted them to do with Abby since the character first appeared. Having another character get insanely jealous with Abby's magic powers. I'd say, unfortunately it didn't go as it should have. Abby was completely unaware of anything going on, and Alan was the one that told Cookie Monster to imagine what happens if he steals the wand. Thus, Abby was successfully removed from any conflict, smiling away with Elmo. I don't see why Cookie's constant attempts for the wand couldn't have gotten Abby to ...uh...emote, maybe? There would have been nice potential for a dramatic scene with Cookie and Abby fighting and coming to a solution with a lot of nice making up sequences, like in real life when some kid gets a better toy than another. Instead, Cookie Monster needs guidance about what if scenarios taking all the drama out of the message. I give them credit for trying, but they played it way too safe. Cookie Monster completely saves the episode from being dull. Elmo's just there. Just there.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So they did something unthinkable... SW abandoned their own formulaic plotline for these type of situations in favor of an even blander resolution. There were a lot of Season 30 and/or 31 episodes that aired on Noggin where it was one character hogging the activity/toy/focal point of the plot to then have a grown-up talk to the frustrated secondary character to have them confront the oblivious primary character of how their actions were making them feel. *Shrugs, guess it's a good thing I missed this episode's street story as well.

And another thing, though this might show my HP nerdness... The whole taking someone else's wand... What, is Abby's wand Sesame's version of the Elder Wand? Maybe this means :insatiable: will try to get his hands on the other two Deathly Hallows. :fanatic:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's kind of disappointing. There's a lot of potential for Abby they still aren't using considering he's been on the show for a pretty long time now. Even if you look at the Flying Fairy School segments, very rarely do events unfold as a result of her fault. It's usually Blogg or Gonnigan's fault because they have character flaws. Abby comes off entirely too perfect. They've even ditched her being constantly frustrated that her magic doesn't work well. While otherwise that would have been a nice sign of character development, they've taken away the character's main flaws to turn her into another constantly smiling kid's show host like Elmo, rather than a character.

Not to mention it completely botches potential for a "sometimes other kids have more than you and sure it's unfair, but carrying that jealousy isn't a good thing" message and they went with a safer "stealing is bad, it makes your friends sad" message. Meanwhile, Abby and Elmo just counted away on things resulting in 6.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Did anyone else see Mumford as a statue in the Furry Potter CCP?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The street story was very good. I liked Cookie's attempts to get Abby's wand. The songs were pretty good too. The WOTD was good. I liked seeing Herb as the baby dinosaur. The new MHALL was good. I liked them showing how certain magic tricks work. The new CCP was funny. I laughed when the professor tried to talk covered in web. All the segments related to the street story, which I liked.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Magic School... Where are Penn and Teller?
A Murray dollar, yeah, have fun being arrested for counterfeit coinage.
That would have been cool. I liked their "Fool Us" show they did over the summer. Plus, they did make an appearance on "Muppets Tonight!" so why not on "Sesame Street" as well?

This episode was remarkable for one reason. It finally did what I wanted them to do with Abby since the character first appeared. Having another character get insanely jealous with Abby's magic powers.
I know what you mean, since Abby's been on the show she hasn't had a lot of interaction with characters who appear outside of street scenes and she and CM only interacted in an insert or two last season, so this was a big improvement. I'm still waiting to see how she'll interact with characters such as Ernie or Grover or even Mumford (I know they appeared together in a scene a few seasons back, but they didn't really interact and Matt Vogel could probably do a good Mumford. It's something to think about.)

Did anyone else see Mumford as a statue in the Furry Potter CCP?
That was an interesting catch, Constantine. I didn't see it, but I was thinking through the whole ep with magic being the main theme here, Mumford could have made an appearance. I wasn't aware that he did. Lol. If anyone has an image of his appearance there, let me know.

Another note, I liked that CM appeared most of the time throughout the show. I'm glad they're giving some other characters besides Elmo (or even Murray and Abby) some airtime. If they'd just do that more with characters such as Big Bird, Grover (Well, I've seen some Grover-centered episodes in recent years, but you know what I mean.), Bert and Ernie or Oscar, I think we may have got it made.