1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4514 - Oscar's Trash Savings Plan

Discussion in 'Season 45' started by Phillip, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Season 45 Episode 4514 - Oscar's Trash Savings Plan
    Monday January 12, 2015

Oscar is trying to save bags of trash for a P.U.gelhorn so he and Fluffy can play a duet together. However, he just can’t seem to control his impulses when he wants to buy something else. Goozie Orman tries to help him develop a strategy – to pretend that what he wants is something he can’t stand, something nice or cute. Will this strategy be enough for Oscar?

Subject: Math, Self-Regulation
    Brought to you by: S & 8
    Word on the Street: Awful - Very, very bad.

If you've seen "Oscar's Trash Savings Plan" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I don't hate the idea of the Macklemore spoof. I wish it were a better written parody, though.

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'll agree to that. I really dug it, but it could have been funnier. But I'm impressed that this parody actually was written into the street story, rather than just some self contained thing. Also like how they sung it once and not three or more times during the episode. Yet, I really think Macklemore should have been in the entire street story, constantly tempting Oscar instead of the random bit about the Sty-Phone. I also really liked the dig at constant PBS self improvement hawker Susie Orman. Really good story, but I felt overall it was just a little short.

There's really not much to comment on besides that great Big Bird song. Just the same old reused footage. The Parks and Rec guy (forget his name at the moment) was great with Murray in the word of the day segment. Like that it was at least playful, instead of just saying what the word is.

4. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Heh... P.U.gelhorn, maybe he can call :) to buy :concern:'s old one, that thing never worked right, :grouchy: would love it.
    Wonder how many people will get the Goozie Orman spoof, though her name should have been Oozie instead, it flows better that way.

Another episode I missed, will probably take a Muppet Wiki walk to catch up on these. Hope I don't end up missing out on The Great Cookie Thief special in February or whenever that airs.

5. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

The street story was very funny. The Thrift Shop spoof was catchy. The WOTD bit was funny. I liked Murray's simple rock song. The new MHALL was very good. I can't help but wonder how they kept track with the milk carton.

6. Drtooth

To make the episode really authentic, she should have prattled on the entire hour with breaks every 20 minutes to sell her books... errr... for PBS, that is. Not a generous tax write off for her, no badoobie doo.

7. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

That probably wouldn't work. First of all, Steve stopped doing Ernie because of his unavailability, so do have him play Kermit on SS again would be unlikely. Plus, we may want Gonzo to save his old horn in case the Muppet show ever resurfaces. Lol. :)

Wow! They're making an episode out of that one? I know they had a "Cookie Tree" ep years ago. I'm still waiting for "The Monster at the End of this Show."

8. Drtooth

Anyone else think it was disappointing that the episode started about saving/delayed gratification, and turned sharply into a recycling episode?

sesamemuppetfan likes this.
  9. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Plus, if I EVER see the Genie in a Bottle episode of Abby's Flying Fairy School one more time, I'm gonna lose it! :grr:

10. Drtooth

I'd sound like a really broken record if I have to say "they should have gotten rid of Abby's Flying School" again. But yeah... that's like 10 minutes of the show that segment's sitting on. It's all budget reasons the segment's still on the show. Too little money in the budget to contract more episodes, too much money spent on the ones they did to just completely give up on showing them.

11. Oscarfan

I took it as the rest of the show's theme was "trash" and recycling factors into that, so it kind of works.

12. Drtooth

You can see it that way, and I got that. But it really feels like they could have gone somewhere with the savings bit, but they didn't have any sketches to back that up. Maybe the "Good Things Come to those who Wait" song, but that's about it.

13. Oscarfan

I had a thought about this yesterday. I wouldn't think they'd something to put in place of AFFS, then I realized: what if they went back to having two letters of the day? Probably wouldn't work with the new intro song, but it's an idea. Or just have some other new "thing" of the day (word, letter, number...)

14. WalterLinz

WalterLinz Well-Known Member

AND the macaroni dinosaur...

sesamemuppetfan and Drtooth like this.
  15. Drtooth

I'm surprised they didn't just put that Spanish health segment into that space. I understand that they want to get as much mileage as they can out of these expensive cartoons, and I'm sure that some kids are getting restless watching the *&^% Macaroni dinosaur for the hundredth time... I just see parents switching the channels every time the same Abby segment comes on. That can't be good for the show, and I think they've squeezed all they can out of these segments (yet, didn't release the to DVD in sets like Elmo's World). Time to put in something else, be it new or more letter/number segments.

WalterLinz likes this.
  16. Oscarfan

The problem with that would be those "mini-shows" are 7 minutes long and are comprised of 4 or five individual segments, along with framing scenes with Elmo. It'd be like a mini-Sesame show within an entire Sesame show.

17. Drtooth

I wouldn't put it past them to get that to work, though. I'm sure they could just pick the show apart to add some Muppet moments back into the show. Even wholesale unaltered versions of that segment would be a lot less dull than the same Abby segments over and over... but you have a point. That would be a terrible flow, since the show's been broken up to something like that essentially already. Maybe if they break the segment apart or something inside the show?

But that does pose the problem for Abby. On the one hand, that's 9 minutes of the show the show gets back, but considering they're scrambling to fill up the episodes half the time already, it's a question of what could fill in that slot. If they already have to use footage from the same season twice before the halfway mark, that means they are kinda desperate for filler segments.

18. Oscarfan

I don't see why they can't air some of the skits from it on the show; they put some on that Cooking DVD a year or so ago. Plus, so many E&B bits. Confuses me why they can't run them.

19. Drtooth

My complaint exactly. They're a non-profit strapped for cash frequently, yet there's a veritable wealth of foreign market in mind material produced in English only to be dubbed that never manage to get on the show, but they're desperate enough to use Pre-School Musical well after parodying it was relevant among other things. You can't even blame the year in advance thing for that one, it was embarrassing (and not even HD). Still fail to understand why they're just sitting on half the Ernie and Bert claymation segments when they could have released them on various formats by now.

I give them tons of credit for sharing the Furchester Hotel on Youtube instead of being completely obtuse about it. But you'd think a lot of the footage supposedly not suitable for the show for some reason could have surfaced there or their own site.

But yeah... that's the complaint I've been having for a while. There's a lot of stuff they can indeed add to the show without breaking the bank or displacing any of the precious Pop culture bits they need to keep parents entertained. I don't see why they'd just sit on something they paid money for when they're constantly strapped for cash.

20. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

That's right. They also need to get of rid of the Season 40 theme and closing credits, due to the fact that they retired that horrid Zoe puppet after Season 40...but that's another story.

Or ANY OTHER segement from Season 40. Period.

MikaelaMuppet and WalterLinz like this.