Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4515 - Stinky's First Day of Preschool

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Season 45 Episode 4515 - Stinky's First Day of Preschool
Tuesday January 13, 2015

Stinky is the new plant at Elmo’s school but feels anxious when Chris has to leave. Chris, Elmo, and Elmo’s teacher Mrs. Sanchez all try to help Stinky feel less anxious. Will any of their strategies work?

Subject: Self-Regulation
Brought to you by: T & 19
Word on the Street: Anxious – When you feel worried or nervous that something may or may not happen.

If you've seen "Stinky's First Day of Preschool" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I get the feeling this episode was written more for the parents of the kids who are about to go to preschool rather than the kids. The lesson plan was directly aimed at them to deal with the separation anxiety some kids feel.

That said...eh... it was an episode with Stinky in it alright. I expected no less than Lemongrab-esque loud outbursts. It seems like the obvious choice to deal with psychological problems as to use a psychological mess of a character.

But frankly, the highlight of the episode was the Zach Braff/Telly word on the Street bit. Everything else was reused footage that went on too long. We didn't even get the Muppet segment between the number and Elmo's world segment. Just that skit about Yoga. I mean, really... no wonder they had content warnings about children playing in construction sites or junkyards like Fat Albert kids. Freaking Yuppie Parents. :rolleyes:

Nothing much to speak of when it's mostly reused filler. When the heck are these big parody segments they've announced this year?

Also, How many episodes into the season are we? I'm actually sick of the letter and number intros by now. It's nice they use a variety of characters in them, and I give them credit for trying, but I'm kinda hoping they do not bring this back next year.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
This episode was very funny. I loved the reactions of Stinky screaming: Blue AM cleaning his ear, kids dropping toys, Elmo scrunching his eyes. I hope they use Jasmine regularly. She's very pretty. Finally, a WOTD with Telly! It was hilarious. The new MHALL was pretty good.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, if there's one thing I loved about this episode it's probably the first this season they actually used another set. Sesame Street is the often perpetrator of the bottle episode. It's nice to see they actually gave care enough to move the episode beyond the street.

And frankly, when I was watching it, I expected the entire episode to be set in and around Hooper's with Stinky not being emotionally ready to leave. On second though, the episode was better than what I envisioned when it started. Because it so easily could have been what I just said. The same dead street with 3 characters on it talking to themselves. And I love how the preschool class was human and Muppet kids. Not the most interesting episode, but the change of scenery and attention to those details was a refreshing change from seeing the back of Hooper's Store for 10 minutes.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
But frankly, the highlight of the episode was the Zach Braff/Telly word on the Street bit.
True. No one gets anxious like Telly. Though you have to wonder why Murray is starting preschool just now after going to so many other different schools. He should be about ready for college. Lol

Now that I think about it, if there's one thing I loved about this episode it's probably the first this season they actually used another set.
I've noticed that as well. It's always nice to move away from the regular setting every once in a while.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay... The fact that new episodes aired yesterday and today, I think we can call this the winter premiere week. *Makes note to tune in tomorrow for Episode 4516.

Heh. Told you you'd get sick of the Letter/Number Dance of the Day bits. :smirk:
If anything, I'd want Sesame Workshop to put some more thought and effort back into the letter and/or number segments, the ones we get nowadays are so blandishly boring. You want to show what 16 is? Here's sixteen acorns, count them out loud yourself. Now scram kid, we've gotta crank out fifteen more episodes on self-regulation to cram down your throats like the good little viewers you are.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I hope they use Jasmine regularly. She's very pretty.
I hope so too. I don't remember whether it was her Tumblr or her Twitter, but one day I came across one of those, and as it turns out, she and Ismael Cruz Cordova are friends in real life, so...who knows?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Heh. Told you you'd get sick of the Letter/Number Dance of the Day bits. :smirk:
If anything, I'd want Sesame Workshop to put some more thought and effort back into the letter and/or number segments, the ones we get nowadays are so blandishly boring. You want to show what 16 is? Here's sixteen acorns, count them out loud yourself. Now scram kid, we've gotta crank out fifteen more episodes on self-regulation to cram down your throats like the good little viewers you are.
Oh yeah. I was one of the on the fence types, but they've got old very fast. They should have at least made multiple songs for these. But make no mistake. It's a cost cutting move, and all they need to do is dub in the letter or number. At least with the Count one, they had to record multiple takes of his couplet and stomping. The letter one has no variations whatsoever.

As for the number segments... well... Sesame Street has always had problems with double digit segments. In the 90's you'd either see some fun little song parody, or lame stop motion paper cut out clowns honking horns. Or worse, those ^&*^&*( kids painting a mural that mercifully stopped being shown on the series.

Though I do agree. Why aren't there more fun songs and creative number sketches like "Lonely Eleven?" Time to do another animator contest and get more creative, original ideas than "Bunch of white rocks with a number 'hidden' in them."

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Just watched (most of) the ep. It was certainly nice for the story to go somewhere other than the street, though it kind dragged at times. I find it very interesting that Stinky's one of those "Hey! We Need More Muppets For Street Scenes" characters from the 90's, virtually disappeared during the 2000's and now gets his own story almost each season.

Personally, I like the letter/number songs. Sure, I skip them when going through the episode, but I find myself listening to them on my computer anyway.

I also don't mind having some more non-letter/number film pieces in the show, but they really should've thrown in another Muppet bit somewhere.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, I like the letter/number songs. Sure, I skip them when going through the episode, but I find myself listening to them on my computer anyway.

The songs are good. Just not good enough to keep seeing in every episode. I said this in another thread, but they really should have had multiple songs written to switch off. But then again... budget. Easier and cheaper to just redub things than to write completely different songs.

I also don't mind having some more non-letter/number film pieces in the show, but they really should've thrown in another Muppet bit somewhere.
I feel it's kind of a cheat not to get something in between the number and ETM. They certainly had a lot of non-Muppet filler in this episode. Was that emotion song supposed to be a parody of "Mr. Blue Sky?" Cuz they pretty much lifted the piano riffs, bells, and.... well, pretty much everything but the tune. Seems they should have chose either that or the thing that directly followed the street story. That Yoga thing was unneeded and didn't tie into anything except possibly the Indian style number segment. Would have been the perfect spot for something with the Muppet characters.