1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4517 - Elmo the Grouch

Discussion in 'Season 45' started by Phillip, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Season 45 Episode 4517 - Elmo the Grouch
    Thursday January 15, 2015

Elmo is feeling a bit cranky and grumpy so he doesn’t want to ride the merry-go-round with Chris after work. Oscar thinks that Elmo is turning into a grouch so he put Elmo through two tests. Elmo passes and decides that he is a grouch, but Chris assures him that everyone feels cranky and that Elmo can change his feelings if he wants to.

Subject: Self-Regulation
    Brought to you by: E & 13
    Word on the Street: Grouchy – When you feel cranky or in a bad mood.

If you've seen "Elmo the Grouch" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  2. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, the self-regulation angle was obvious from the beginning. So all you have to do is pass a game of Opposite Oscar Says and Grouch Eye View to confirm if you're really a grouch? And the grouch cheer is giving people the raspberry?
    *In booming voice: There's only one person who would dare give me the raspberry... Elmostar!

Hey, doesn't that guy from the WOTD sound familiar? Oh yeah, he's the angry guy from that SpitBlob PoopyPants show.
    Nice how different animal Muppets were the subject of Murray's emotions game. BTW: We need a Murray smilie added to the batch here at MC.
    Les Mousserables was enjoyable, first time watching "Belly Breathe" and it's nice but I prefer "Up Goes The Castle" by :p instead, and I felt we coulda gotten an extra sketch after the third bit of Murray's game. *Shrugs.

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Somehow, this felt like a storyline that could have worked just as well in the late 80's and early 90's. I like how the last 3 episodes were Oscar based storylines, though the Tuxedo one was the best of the bunch.

Oscar's litmus test for being a grouch were deliberately easy. We're back to that awesome trolling Oscar, knowing Elmo doesn't really want to be a grouch. That really made the episode work right there. I love a good 80's/90's trolling Oscar, though somehow I think this story would have worked a little better with Telly in Elmo's role. But then again, weren't there occasions where Telly wanted to be a Grouch?

Bill Hader really sold the word of the day segment. I'm not sure he actually was on Spongebob, though.

My main complaint is it really seems that this season they've taken to the obnoxious habit of reusing footage they used not a few episodes ago. That Mr. Bluesky musical knockoff song was on again (a whole 2 episodes later), but worked better with this episode. I get the need to reuse footage, but it's ridiculous to see the same skit a couple episodes from each other.

4. The Count

Oh, that was Bill Hater, sorry my mistake. Maybe I'll feel more familiar with his VA work after seeing Inside Out this summer which I'm looking forward because of another great grouch they cast... Namely Louis Black as the character Anger. :grouchy: :excited:

5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I know he had some cameos in other cartoons, but oddly can't bring any to mind except that scientist character from the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs movie.

6. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

Who were the humans in the episode??

7. The Count

Chris was the only on-screen human in this episode, though we did hear Alan call out when he wanted the boxes delivered at the beginning.

MikaelaMuppet and cahuenga like this.
  8. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Good thought. I like "Spaceballs" as well. Side note. It's nice to actually be able to post here. I'm glad I was able to get my computer fixed.

That's who that was? I was thinking Bill Nye. Is he even still around?

9. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

This episode was very good. Anytime Elmo shows emotion is very good. The WOTD bit was funny. Bill has a nice range of voices. The new Murray tune-ins were good. Did Matt Vogel and Peter Linz play all the contestants? I know Matt was the tiger and grouch and Peter was the crab and pigeon.

10. SpinneyBigBird1

SpinneyBigBird1 Active Member

This overall was a really good storyline that would still hold up in any era of the show, which is a real compliment.

In my opinion, the only thing that distinguishes this episode from a classic-era episode is the lack of more human cast members. If Elmo acted grouchy towards more people than just Chris, that would have made it clearer and seem like more of an issue for Elmo. That would have been a great way to incorporate more humans like Susan or Bob.

Side note, I'm surprised how few episodes Maria and Gordon have been in this season. Normally they the most prominently-featured classic-era actors.

P.S. I was actually there for this taping. It was cool.

11. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I think Roscoe has had some personal issues lately, but I won't get into that there. Though I know Gordon has appeared briefly in some episodes. Not sure about Sonia though. I do recall that they were both in the Macy's parade however.

I know what you mean. I watched "Big Bird the Grouch" on You Tube recently and I noticed they got quite a few of the adults in that one as well. I was sort of hoping they'd use the same storyline there.

cahuenga likes this.
  12. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Skimming through the show. Is it me, or did the street story look sped-up somehow? Not like super speed, but by, like, 10-15%.

13. Oscarfan

Who was performing Oscar? (Was Caroll pulling a Jerry/Matt thing or did he dub the voice after or before hand)

muppetlover123 likes this.
  14. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

This episode was pretty good

15. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

This episode was in one word adorable! I had to crack up at Elmo in the trash can, and that word of the day scene was very funnny! The Grouch Cheer was funny too. If only grouches do it, then I guess Natasha is a grouch!

16. antsamthompson9

Can you please answer that question, @SpinneyBigBird1? Carol hasn't puppeteered Big Bird in a long time. At the recent Mormon concerts and this video that just came out, http://www.funnyordie.com/embed/3ea0a43d3d, Matt did Big Bird. Even on Oscar's appearance on Portlandia, Carol just did the voice. So is he now just doing voices like Jerry did in his later years? I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, he's 81 years old.

17. antsamthompson9

I have another story to back this up: Oscar was on the Sunny Side Up Show today, and Eric Jacobson played him. Sometimes he lip-synced to Caroll, other times he did the voice himself. I think Caroll is just doing voices from now on. @Oscarfan, do you get Sprout? If so, Oscar's on tomorrow. Can you record it and put a video on Dailymotion so people can see what I mean? I wish I had capture devices.

18. Oscarfan

I don't have Sprout at school, so now.

As for a "capture device", all you would need is a DVD recorder and plug it into the TV (and cable box too, I think) with the RCA cables.

19. antsamthompson9

What does a DVD recorder look like?

20. Oscarfan

Look it up. On the internet. That you're using.