Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4518 - Friendship Day

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Season 45 Episode 4518 - Friendship Day
Tuesday February 3, 2015

Elmo and Zoe are practicing a dance to perform for Friendship Day. Elmo can’t seem to do the last step and Zoe, in her frustration, says that Elmo is the worst. Elmo gets upset and Zoe doesn’t understand why. Leela and Chris explain that words can hurt, so Zoe apologizes and the two practice their dance again. This time Zoe is more encouraging.

Subject: Self-Regulation
Brought to you by: O & 10
Word on the Street: Friend – Someone that you care for and like to spend time with and who also cares for you.

If you've seen "Friendship Day" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really like these deep, emotional moments with Elmo and Zoe. The characters work beautifully together, and they both get to emote off each other. Elmo rarely emotes due to his role in the show, but when the show finally gives him an opportunity, they run with it.

Nice to see Big Bird and Snuffy, too, even though it was just a cameo.

Also, nice to see Segi in another insert, but this time with regular characters. Even though it wasn't to make a big statement, it's nice to see the character hanging with others who are established. And she doesn't need to say something every time, which helps to get her a little more rounded.

And seriously?! Did they have to show the Super Grover with the duckling 3 times this season? Even when it rotates with another skit?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
This episode was great! Not only do we finally get some Baby Bear this season, but it's also the only time we might see Ryan and Fran work together as Elmo and Zoe. I think their chemistry was pretty good. What do you guys think? Also the WOTD bit was nice. I liked the little argument about whether to do a fist bump or wing whack. The bit with Abby, Rosita and Segi was cute. That was obviously filmed after Fran left. Hopefully they'll find a new performer for Zoe but still keep Segi.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I try not to worry about character dynamics when a puppeteer leaves, I'm really hoping they have a plan to recast Zoe. I've said it a million times, Elmo and Zoe are a great pair. They need each other to work off of. Elmo and Abby? Not so much. It's like they adamantly refuse to give Abby any tension or drama, and when you mix that up with mostly hosting duties Elmo, you've got a recipe for a dull, tame story. Like I said with that Cookie Monster episode, they had to give Alan all the power to work things through, and it made the episode weak and safe. Why couldn't they actually show Abby getting upset? It would have given a level to the character not seen since she debuted.

Zoe knows how to push Elmo's buttons in a way only the truest of friends can. Rocko drives Elmo up the wall, showing a very comedic annoyed side of Elmo that no one else can. But they also have their true friendship moments. Say what you will about Elmo in Grouchland, but that sequence where they fought over the blanket and then made up at the end was a great touch. I don't see them doing that with Abby. This episode showed just how great the Zoe and Elmo pairing are. Hopefully that won't just go away.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The bit with Abby, Rosita and Segi was cute. That was obviously filmed after Fran left. Hopefully they'll find a new performer for Zoe but still keep Segi.
Just because it had Segi instead of Zoe? I doubt that. I see it as more giving Segi more material, what with them starting to develop her and all.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
<<The bit with Abby, Rosita and Segi was cute. That was obviously filmed after Fran left. Hopefully they'll find a new performer for Zoe but still keep Segi.>>

Hmmmm. That's a good thought. Maybe Fran's retirement could be why we're seeing more of Segi, so the show could have more of a female cast, but Zoe has been around for a long time so I am hoping they will keep her around with a new puppeteer.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think they intend to replace any characters, and Segi is more of an audience surrogate voice for young African American girls. Sort of like Rosita with Latinos. Most of the other characters are ambiguous as to their backgrounds, and while that was the original intent with rainbow colored monster and human puppet characters, I really like the idea of creating some characters that other races can relate to.

I don't think Segi is meant to replace Zoe because she's a completely different character meant for completely different things. Though it's true that Zoe was created to add more female characters to the show. But I feel that she broke out of that quickly and became endearing a character all her own. Segi was just recently and slowly added into the main cast, and I hope to see more of her with them.

cahuenga

Reaction score
who were the humans in the street story? thanks!!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Only skimmed through the show, but ya' know what I would've liked to see: instead of using the background puppeteers to do a random dog and chicken on the street, why not have them do Ernie and Bert, ya know, the two most recognized friends of the street. They wouldn't have needed to say anything, but it makes no sense why they wouldn't be involved.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My sentiments exactly. It doesn't even just need to be Ernie and Bert (though it would have been nice). When they have all these random background AM's and generic monsters, why not at least shove some familiar faces into the mix? They have the puppets, they have the characters. That would be the best place for them without having to give them any lines.