1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Sesame Street Season 46 Episode 4601 - Bedtime Story

Discussion in 'Season 46' started by Phillip, Jan 15, 2016.

?

Will you watch new Sesame Street episodes on HBO?

1. Yes, I'll see new Sesame Street on HBO.

2. No, I'll see new Sesame Street on PBS.

3. Either way, I won't be watching Sesame Street.

Results are only viewable after voting.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Sesame Street's 46th season officially begins this Saturday on HBO with two episodes back-to-back beginning at 9 am eastern. New episodes will continue to air on Saturday mornings through Saturday September 3. The Season 46 episodes are scheduled to air on PBS stations across the country beginning after the season concludes on HBO. Sesame Street episodes will also be available on-line via HBOGo (requires cable or satellite) or HBONow (requires a monthly subscription). A free 30-day trial of HBONow is also available.

Remember that even though Season 46 is premiering on HBO that all of these episodes were taped before the HBO deal was made. Meaning the financial benefits of the HBO deal really won't be seen on-screen until Season 47.

Season 46 brings many other changes to the street:
    • For the first time ever, the show has been reduced from 60 to 30 minutes per episode

• The main street set has undergone a major overhaul including: an updated nest area for Big Bird in a small tree, Oscar's trash can moves to the front of 123 Sesame Street (above Ernie and Bert's apartment) and Cookie Monster now lives above Hooper's Store which has an updated look that pays homage to it's original design

• Even though other characters will still appear occasionally, the show is narrowing it's primary focus to six Muppet characters: Elmo, Cookie Monster, Abby Cadabby, Grover, Big Bird and Oscar

• "Cookie's Crumby Pictures" ends after two seasons and has been replaced with "Smart Cookies" starring Cookie Monster as the rookie agent of a team of crime-fighting cookies

• New show open and closes debut

• Stephanie D'Abruzzo now performs Prairie Dawn and Jennifer Barnhart now performs Zoe due to the retirement of Muppeteer Fran Brill

• Sonia Manzano (Maria) has retired and Suki Lopez (Nina) joins the cast
    After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

If you've seen Sesame Street Season 46, please like this post.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  2. Phillip

Episode 4601 - Bedtime Story
    HBO Premiere: Saturday January 16, 2016
    PBS Premiere: Monday September 12, 2016

While sleeping over at Elmo's house, Abby learns how to change her bedtime routine to help her calm down before bedtime. Also featuring celeb vocab 'bedtime' with Tracee Ellis Ross, Cookie Monster's Smart Cookies-The Ginger Snap Case and Elmo's World-Sleep. Brought to you by the letter B and the number 10.

This episode features an all-new street story.

[​IMG]

If you saw "Bedtime Story" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  3. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

Just caught the two new episodes on HBO Now, the end credits show that Leela and Mando are not credited, so they may no longer be on the show. I will also note that Luis, Bob and Gordon and still human cast members.

4. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

Are Susan and Gina still credited?? and Maria???

5. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

Gina, yes. Susan, no.

MikaelaMuppet and cahuenga like this.
  6. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

I wonder why they did´t announced Loretta´s long departure...and Leela and Mando Neither...

7. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

Thoughts on the episode, I like how each episode opens with a muppet explaining what'll happen on Sesame Street. I like Nina a lot. The street story was a good length, but my only problem is, why Elmo's World? A pretty old one at that. It seemed to be shortened too. I did hope to see more of the street but the second episode shown this morning did good in that regard.

Phillip likes this.
  8. Phillip

Yes, for a season premiere, an edited Elmo's World initially feels really off. However, because Sesame Workshop is now keeping each episode to one central theme that's the primary reason for this choice. With more episodes per season now, filling some of them with Elmo's World (allbeit an older segment) is the route Sesame Workshop has taken verses much more frequent repeats of Elmo the Musical.

However, instead of Elmo's World I would've preferred other "sleep" theme segments. It would've been a great place for a new Ernie and Bert sleeping sketch or even an updated version of Joe Raposo's "Everybody Sleeps".

9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm not thrilled with the inclusion of Elmo's World, but at least it was mercifully shortened. It's clearly a cost cutting move to bring this back, and they have to keep this odd "every segment follows the theme" concept they have this season, which I'm ambivalent about.

So anyway, brief rundown of the show...

The Word on the Street/Word of the Day are officially gone. I'm mixed about it, but it was time to drop this segment anyway. Instead, we have rotating Muppet characters introducing the topic of the day for a cold opening.

The street stories will be shorter to accommodate the 27 minute format (less with open and end themes accounted. Seems like this was 9 minutes or less. As for the story itself, it's...well... essentially what an Abby and Elmo episode usually is. It seems like a leftover script from the last season.

Then we jump right into the letter of the day, closely followed by the number of the day. There's such a breakneck pace to this episode, obviously trying to get as much as they can with the time slot. There's only one bit for letters and numbers, the Tracy Ross thing and ToddWorld Doggy Kisses respectively.

Then into Smart Cookies, which is a great replacement for the admittedly hit and miss (but mostly hit) Crumby Pictures. Love how the Fig Newton puppet has a Beaker mouth. Seems every episode The Crumb comes in with a paper thin Boris Badenov type disguise that fools Cookie easily. Gotta admit, Cookie trying not to eat his sentient team mates is hilariously morbid for Sesame Street.

And yeah. Short Elmo's World. Obviously because money and theme.

So nothing extremely different outside of the small change in the block format. Without the Murray Transitions, it feels more like one show with segment than trying to be multiple shows. Did anyone catch the short Tour of Sesame Street preview before the episode? We got to hear some of Stephanie's Prairie Dawn.

Bert fan and The Count like this.
  10. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I'm really pleasantly surprised that Sesame's YT page is putting up the episodes for free. Anyway, this new format is okay. I like seeing Muppets setting up the episodes. The new opening and closing song are fun. Nina's a welcome addition. I liked Tyler Bunch's performance as the giant. The B words bit with Tracee Ellis Ross was fun. I liked Ryan Dillon being the bear and Eric Jacobson being the basketball. The Smart Cookie's segment is pretty good. If they make more of these, they better find someone good to replace Joey as Figby. Here's the episode for non-HBO people.

11. hehehe

hehehe Member

(rises from the dead) ;)

This could go on either discussion page, but Im putting it with the premiere:
    Like antasmthompson above, I, too am SHOCKED that YT is showing the new eppies, but I forsee a problem with that:
    The PBS airings won't be an "event" anymore. Anyone can see the episodes now on YouTube for free! (To be fair, they may be taken down after a week or two, but still. Also, I have never been in a poor family, so I honestly don't know if there's a stigma using free internet, so I am unqualified to argue this point)
    Now, don't get me wrong--HBO is to be HIGHLY commended for doing this, and I hope they continue--but i gotta wonder how PBS Kids feels about the YT postings?.......

12. JonnyBMuppetMan

JonnyBMuppetMan Active Member

Haven't been on here for a while, but I wanted to post a few observations about the newer shows having just watched them. First of all, I got up unusually early and was lucky enough to catch The Muppet Christmas Carol, which, no joke, was airing on HBO-HD preceding the two Sesame shows. And, just in case you don't believe me...

[​IMG]

Anyway, I actually really like the new Muppet cold opens, even in place of the Word of the Day. It'll be interesting to see different characters as the weeks progress. A couple changes I wasn't as fond of were the letters and numbers not being treating as much like sponsors (whereas the tag "Sesame Street is brought to you today by the letter _ and by the number _" is never said), and the disappointing absence of Leela and Mando. I'm hoping they weren't permanently dropped from the show, because they were great additions to the cast, and it's a shame that there aren't as many human cast members nowadays. With that said, Nina was good as well; more of a motherly character than I was initially expecting.

Overall, both street stories were good, but the shows were rather quick and disorienting (particularly with the truncated Elmo segments), so it's going to take a while for me to get used to the new format.

13. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

Dunno if this is the right thread to post this in, but HBO GO/Now has a handful of the classic episodes from Netflix/iTunes and a bunch of new Around the Corner episodes, including the Season 25 premire.

14. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Actually,just saw the episode on Youtube and Susan is still credited.

cahuenga likes this.
  15. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I was surprised to hear that Elmo's World would return this year. Didn't think they'd show full frame segments anymore.

16. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I thought these two episodes were OK hopefully I can see the new episodes on Hbo next week. So excited to here Matt Vogel as Mr. Johnson.

17. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Since I also get HBO's West Coast feed, I just finished watching.

It's a little hard to comment on a story involving Elmo amd Abby getting ready for bed, because it doesn't have just a whole lot to offer; Elmo's apartment sure is a strain on the retinas I have to say with those bright, neon wall colors, lol. Can't really comment on Nina right now since I've only seen her in one episode so far.

Smart Cookies was a fun segment, much like Cookie's Crumby Pictures - still nice that Cookie keeps getting lots of love in recent seasons.

The inclusion of Elmo's World did feel off, I agree: shortening it and cutting it made it felt rushed and haphazard, and the cropping was really bad (during the Sleep Lullabye, the mattress and the top of the bird's head were often cut).

The new end titles were interesting. I notice they're still saying the show is "taped." Is that for lack of better word? I don't believe they make videotape anymore.

18. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

It's just one of those things like "dialing" phone numbers even when rotary dials have been out of fashion since the '80s. Sounds weird when you use it, but "entering" a number sounds even weirder.

And I think they still do make blank tapes, but for specialty purposes like security cameras.

19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The only ones who watch TV anymore are those that don't have computers and those who want to see things "live." Live as in not the day to week and a day long period before it hits streaming. Sesame Street has been putting street stories on its own site for a while, sometimes also on Youtube. And as far as HBO goes, they do have John Oliver's show, well, half of it really on YT as well.

Sesame Street seems to want to move to the same all digital platform so much kid's stuff winds up going on, but luckily it still manages to have a place on television.

Among other things #3 in this Cracked Article. Yes, even shows made for streaming.

20. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the YT postings won't be up for very long.