1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Sesame Street Season 46 Episode 4603 - Grover's Street Safari

Discussion in 'Season 46' started by Phillip, Jan 23, 2016.

1. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice the Oscar cameo?

2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I actually preferred Abby on the AFFS segments. She was a quick thinker and she would actually get exasperated by situations and get irritated by her friends. She was a much stronger character in those segments than she is in the actual show,of coarse she had to be because she was the star of it,but sill,that's how I want her to be all the time.

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I can get behind that. Abby can be used for tension and to teach life lessons to kids, but somehow it's just more kid appealing to have her just, as the penguins might say, smile and wave.

As for the rest of the episode, between this one and the last one, I really don't know how to feel about the letter of the day segment being one long film with barely any reference to the letter except for a tie in at the beginning and end. I'd hate to think that the alphabet has to be pushed aside because of the new format. I mean, no wonder they did away with the sponsor announcement at the end of the show. I've noticed that there are 3 minutes of commercial free commercial time (where channels that don't have commercials take breaks to promote themselves without showing outside advertisement). I really wish HBO and SW took advantage of that and made the shows 2 minutes longer for the HBO run, and only so they can throw a couple extra letter and number bits in. I've noticed they air shortened versions of segments inbetween episodes. Seems that would be a good place to put some other sketches in there anyway, but it really feels like they could do something more with that time than Super Grover 2.0's edited to 2 minutes.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  4. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Well there may be tension between Elmo and Abby in the upcoming Best Friend Band episode. We'll see.

Well, I finally saw the episode and I did notice a difference in the voice, but like you said it is more or less Matt trying to get used to performing the character. The more he works with him, the better he'll be. Look at the first time Steve performed Kermit or the first time Eric performed Bert and Grover. They both improved over the years. Same thing with other Muppet recasts. The list goes on and on. Besides, even Jerry's Mr. Johnson voice has sounded a bit stuffy in recent years, so I don't think kids who don't know about the recast would have noticed a difference.

The biggest question is why he's never referred to as Mr. Johnson on screen. Seems like Grover always calls him sir and I notice now he's got Elmo doing it. I guess they take after Marcie from Peanuts. :)