1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Sesame Street Season 46 Press Kit; HBO premiere set for Saturday January 16, 2016

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Pig's Laundry, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I can't say I'm not concerned about the content of the show from now on. I agree with the sentiment that this was always a kid's show and it was bound to go through multiple changes as it's been on an unprecedented 46 years with more to come. And a lot of these changes are cost driven, something that was unfortunately a long time coming.

However, the fact that the multiple changes coming at once drove a longtime writer/performer/show runner away does leave a bad taste in my mouth. And I have to admit, some of the changes aren't bad, so much as I don't agree with why they're there. Sesame Street relied on parody stuff a little too much as of late. While I don't agree with "kids don't get it" I certainly agree with roping them in. Sesame Street has been a pop culture based show, they just never had to rely on it for relevance. And I do understand dialing back on the characters as well (especially the spastic one shot fairy tale characters), but I'm not 100% on the reasoning. Telly should not be done away with, and hopefully he isn't completely. But we definitely don't need Jack Horner pulling the wrong things out of pies and screaming about it for 10 minutes. We had enough of that last season.

I certainly will not kid myself with the "if (so and so) were still here, things would be different" argument. Besides, if it meant even more Elmo screen time, I'd think that would work to his advantage.

Actually, there is one thing that absolutely ticks me off about these articles. All of them basically say "It's completely bizarre that the network that airs, and ONLY airs, Game of Thrones and Sex in the City would want a kid's show." NO NO NO NO NO! HBO has had a history of children's programming, but... well... let's face it. Outside of Fraggle Rock and their Fairy Tale cartoons with non-Caucasian leads, they really don't have a...well... auspicious history. They had a couple kiddy anime dubs (back when it was a cheap thing) and like some crappy Stop motion guessing game show that was made in 1999 and is still on because they have nothing else. Of course they'd try to get the biggest name in edutainment to round up their less than stellar line up.

2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yes, I completely agree,the whole "Sesame Street is gonna have sex and nudity because it's on HBO" thing really bugs the heck out of me because it is completely inaccurate,not to mention the fact that the whole joke was never actually funny, yet they still continue to make it.
    As for the scaling back on characters thing,I do really hope they keep Telly on,he's one of my absolute favorite characters and he's one of the most well rounded. I think that if the show needs to scale back on characters,they should scale back on all the one- offs and perhaps the minor recurring characters like Mr.Johnson and Grundgetta. I like the minor characters a lot but for the most part they don't show up that often anyway and they're just minor characters. I love Bob,Gordon and Susan but they don't really have much of a purpose anymore. Get rid of the characters they don't truly need but keep the characters that have constantly driven the stories for the past at least 10-30 years.

3. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Well Mr Johnson will be appearing this season so I'm not worried.

4. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

The other characters are certainly going to be around still; why would they bother re-casting the likes of Prairie Dawn if they didn't plan to use her? We're probably just not going to get street stories that are centered around just Telly and Baby Bear, or Ernie and Bert anymore. This "core cast" limits the types of stories they can tell, however, if it keeps them character-based and doesn't have any more of these "fairy tale visitors with a problem" stories, I'm all for it.

5. MuppetSpot

Yes I hope SST will mothball fairytale characters.

6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Hey, look how long everybody kept spreading those Veggie Monster rumors, despite SST speaking loud and clear that Cookie never had or will become Veggie Monster, just that cookies are "sometimes food."

7. Pig's Laundry

Yeah,adults kind of tend to believe what they want to about the show,mostly because they don't care that much.
    It's still gonna take some getting used to,especially the fact that Abby and Elmo are going to be on it even more than they were in the past.It's also going to be a bit weird that Telly will hardly get any street stories where he's the main character considering how important he's been for such a long time. Having Big Bird,Oscar,Cookie and Grover around more will be an easy adjustment though.

Anyway,here's a new song from the Alan Cumming episode,it's actually pretty great. I'm really digging the music so far this season,this song and "Everyday Hero" are already some of my favorite songs from the show:

8. Oscarfan

9. D'Snowth

Admittdly, I still get tired of hearing this mentality:

"Why buy 'Proud to be a Cow' on home video when you can watch the clip online for free?"

For . . . practical reasons? Online clips are obviously compressed so you lose a lot of quality that you otherwise retain on DVD - not to mention you don't have to have an internet connection to watch a DVD.

Nevertheless, so many new articles are coming out right now (and so many of them really long), I almost feel like I'm studying for finals.

10. Oscarfan

The general public wouldn't really care about video quality when it comes to finding stuff they remember. Most people finding their favorite segments on YT from when they were young aren't gonna say "Wow, I remember this, but the quality is terrible." They'll just enjoy being able to see something they remember. In fact, sometimes the worse the quality is, the more rare something seems, ergo makes it more valuable and more a worthy find.

And remember when people would tape trade/buy home videos just to see one segment? That's no longer the case anymore.

If you look at a release such as, The Best of Elmo 3, virtually the entire main feature consists of segments either on their YT channel or SS.org. It almost serves no purpose. That's the type of thing it's referring to. Why would I pay $15 dollars for a DVD that consists of nothing I can't see for free on their own website?

11. D'Snowth

I've gotten my fair share of comments from people when I had Big Bird's Birthday posted saying how terrible and unwatchable the quality was, but I see your point.

12. Drtooth

It's annoying because it takes the most basic of research to see that HBO has had children's programming, and indeed an HBO family channel. HBO used to be the exclusive place to see movies before they hit home video (and even before home video caught on). But like I said, the clues were there that HBO wanted to beef up its children's programming wit things people would actually watch. Seriously, I caught some of Crashbox (that stop motion game show thing I was talking about) and it was...dumb. Just...dumb.

DVD's are at this point for collectors only. I'm not going into that pros and cons of streaming again, but for the most part, streaming is cheaper and easier. Sesame Street home video was essentially for the "shut the kids up for a half hour" market, and it especially became prevalent with Elmo-themed releases and compilations of episodes. We're collectors, mind you. We are actively seeking out more Old School type releases and reissues of older stuff from VHS, even if they're just bonus features. The main consumer stopped buying DVD's unless they're really cheap because they can get most of everything online, on demand, or as a subscription service.

However, it seems there's another issue about. Merchandising sales period. Now, I have to admit, I'm a Hasbro fanboy. I love my Transformers, G.I. Joe, Mr. Potatohead et al, and I was excited by Hasbro's acquisition of the Sesame Street license. But I can't say I'm not disappointed they really haven't done much with it, and I'd say low sales of those kinds of toys are to blame for the lack of potential. Kids don't really buy toys anymore (disproportionally, of course, some lines continue to sell well), because they aren't Apps. There was a glaring lack of collector's stuff this past milestone, but even if there were it isn't the huge market you'd think it was. If they get so much off of merchandise, they need to sell that merchandise. Though the Funko Sesame Pops are selling well. I can never find them anymore.

13. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

So I guess this is the spot to talk about Season 46 pre-premiere stuff.

To that end, two things.
    1 There's a video posted at toughpigs where some guy from a group called Fast Company quizzes some SST characters on what they think certain corporate terms mean. And I'm a bit disappointed that :laugh: didn't know what "pivot" meant, didn't he learn that when Ms. Suttan Foster sang him that song about levers?
    2 There's a Season 46 commercial, if you can call it that. It includes some characters saying the letters "H, B, O", then :batty: counting to 2, followed by :grouchy: proclaiming viewers to "have a rotten day!", with :wisdom: capping the bit reminding people to remember he's part of the gang. The weird thing is I've been catching this commercial this week early in the 7-8 AM hour on Disney XD of all places. :confused:

14. Pig's Laundry

15. Pig's Laundry

Yeah,i've seen commercials for Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network shows on Disney XD. I guess Disney is alright with promoting other networks' stuff as long as it's not in direct competition to something they're showing like a movie or new episode.

16. MuppetSpot

I'm just amazed how much Ernie we're getting.:p

17. Drtooth

This is something added in by the cable provider, I believe. Sometimes they cross advertise shows. I'm like 75% certain it's an ad the cable provider patches through. I've seen Nature Cat ads on various kid's channels myself, and they have the exact time and channel number on them.

18. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Of course we have Billy Backhurst to thank for that. Kee hee hee hee!

19. Pig's Laundry

Here's a picture from the Mother's Day episode,it's Two Headed Monster's mom
    [​IMG]
    Frankly this just confuses me.

20. MuppetSpot

I thought Telly was their mother.:D:insatiable::zany:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.