1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

Sesame Street Season 47 begins shooting, HBO premiere set for January 2017

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by zns, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I gotta say, while I'm not happy that Elmo's World was brought back, it's at least a great deal shorter. Plus, at least his smartphone talks to him and has a deeper personality, unlike his old appliances.

Duke Remington and Pig's Laundry like this.
  2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I've honestly never had a problem with Elmo's World, my only problem with it in season 46 was how terribly edited they were. As long as the keep making new ETM segments, i'll be fine.

Duke Remington likes this.
  3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Huh, I was not expecting stuff to come out this soon.

I doubt there there will be any ETM segments; the press release states that they made 25 new EW segments and there will still be re-runs of older ones. So, it looks like EW will be in every show.

I'd be angrier if these new ones didn't seem as...digestible...than the old ones.

This really shows what HBO's money can be used for. There seems to be some repeat episodes again, but not as many. And the fact that they made TWENTY-FIVE new Elmo's World bits?!

I like the new letter/number songs; not as visually interesting as the previous ones, but at least the Count is still involved. Recast the character, rebuilt the puppet and he's barely been anything since Matt took over.

Jen's Zoe is...okay...not the closest recast, vocal-wise. But, I'm glad they'll keep Zoe around and that Jen has a regular character; she's a really great performer (and left-handed to boot!)

Duke Remington and LaRanaRene like this.
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Who is that girl with the black-and-white mushroom hair? Ever since that really bizarre musical performance Kanye West did on SNL's 40th anniversary special that she was a background vocalist for, she keeps popping up, and I have no idea who (or what) she is.

So, is Eric now permanently Oscar - voice and all?

And, I'll agree, Jen's Zoe sounds almost nothing like Fran.

5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm watching it right now, and almost everything seems to be a vast improvement over the original. The only thing I really miss is the special Muppet character e-mail/home video appearances from the original. Only thing that really doesn't work is that "interactive game" segment. If this were made for some internet based follow along game, it would work. Significant shortage of the segment also helps. Maybe they'll grow into that 25 minute slot yet.

To be perfectly honest, I'd take this made for half hour format shortened Elmo's World than an overly edited, overly condensed ETM segment to the point of incoherence any day. Plus...ehhh... if they were going to be more like Iguana the Musical, I wouldn't exactly mind them disappearing as much. Seems the later bunch they made for a shorter episode were barely musicals at all anyway.

I don't much mind the character sounding different. After all, she did a great job that season and a half they decided to bring back Gladys without sounding nearly like...well...the fact the character was played by a dude and all. I can see her taking Zoe in a slightly different direction, making her sound a little older. But I'm glad that Zoe's still around as well since she's become such an underrated part of the show since Abby's addition. Though, yeah, it isn't as smooth a transition as Stephanie's Prairie Dawn.

6. Pig's Laundry

Looks like some guy named Ken Scarborough is replacing Joey Mazzarino as head writer:
    http://www.sesameworkshop.org/season47/behind-the-scenes/production-bios/ken-scarborough/
    Yeah, I miss the email thing, it was a nice way to kind of have a mini Muppet segment within another segment. Also, another thing I miss is the fact that his room used to be a lot less empty and a lot more lively. His whole bedroom just feels deserted.

Also, geez, how many siblings does Mr. Noodle have? It's like we find out about a new one every few years.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  7. D'Snowth

Ken Scarborough just recently returned to ARTHUR, after having been one of the key writers for that show for the first four seasons. This should be interesting.
    Kind of like how Cow and Chicken seemed to have so many different cousins or different species.

8. Oscarfan

That's Sia. Of the hit song "Chandelier." And others, i'm assuming. That's all I know.

And I don't think Eric is full-time Oscar. They probably hadn't dubbed in Caroll's vocals for the clip yet. Last season's sizzle reel had a clip of Matt voicing Big Bird and when it aired, Caroll was the voice.

9. D'Snowth

Oh, the one who does that song "Cheap Thrills," though her singing sounds a lot like Meghan Trainor? Got it.
    That's what got me confused. I know Caroll's been doing quite a bit voicing on the sidelines now (much like Jerry was doing), but I wasn't sure if he wasn't even doing that anymore, even though he said he was going to try to make it through Season 50.

10. Drtooth

He also wrote for Doug. Which...in retrospect is probably why Arthur is so similar to it, especially the imagine spots.

I'm fifty-fifty about the look. I can't exactly remember how much of EW was CGI effects and how many were actually practical on set. I could swear I remember most of it being green screened. This is entirely green screen and it feels very deserted and ...well...kinda cheap looking. But I have to admit, I do like the background being blue instead of white like it's drawn on paper. Just wish they made it more visually appealing. I also kinda miss the animated cartoon segments (which often were the highlight), but they whittled EW down to run clean and mean here. I always felt EW just wasted its runtime with nonsense like "let's ask a Baby."

Overall, looking at the season, it sure looks like they're going back to the younger audience which is ...eh. And that Sia...is...is she supposed to be Dot from Animaniacs or something? I've barely heard of her either, but knew of her existence once the Muppetwiki started posting stuff about season 47. All I know she's Australian and hides her face for some reason. I don't follow music much. Seems they're using some of that HBO money to go back to regular celebrity appearances, which is also...eh.

11. D'Snowth

Well, Joe Fallon was head writer during the time Ken was also writing for the show, but Joe, like Ken, was also a writer for DOUG, and that's supposedly what lead to his departure: apparently, he and Marc Brown had creative differences over the direction the show was going in, and Marc felt Joe was trying to turn into more of DOUG expy.

12. Oscarfan

I wouldn't say that; there's only 8 celebrity guests this season, as
    opposed to, for example, 39 from season 45.

13. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I have to say the new Letter and Number songs are catchy. Also, is Dorothy animated now? I didn't watch the whole clip.

14. Pig's Laundry

I'm actually pretty surprised by the person they picked to be the head writer, I would've thought that it would be someone like Ed Valentine because he has a lot of experience writing for kid shows like MLP, Curious George, Bubble Guppies and Doc McStuffins.
    Yeah, it's around the same amount as the 46th season. Season 46 had something like 10 or eleven guest stars.
    She was animated for that particular segment, but considering it looked like a computer game, I wouldn't be surprised if she's back to being a real fish in some of the later segments.

15. D'Snowth

I don't get why they didn't promote another one of their long-time staff writers to the position. Joey moved up in the ranks to that position, as did Lou Berger before him. Wouldn't it be more ethical to do it that way?

16. hehehe

hehehe Member

Okay, so I finally watched the new Elmo's World.
    My thoughts:
    1. It looks GORGEOUS. Absolutely gorgeous. That's first. GREAT visuals.

Now, let's go through, point by point:
    1. The new theme song...will take a little getting used to, though I like how it started with the "La la la la....." :)

2. Having said that, I love that we now see the World transition in during the theme as Elmo starts imagining it. That's really neat looking.

3. "Guess what Elmo's thinking about today! Wait for it.....wait for it...." LOL! :)

4. I loooove the idea behind Smarty. How do you learn about stuff in this new World? You research it. Yes, yes, yes. :)
    5. The interactive game was a little weird--but hey, gotta get Dorothy in there somehow! :)

6. And we can't have the World without the Noodles. Nice touch that they get a house now instead of an empty room. And I har the original Noodile is still around? Cool!

7. Only part I didn't really like was the happy dance dance. I'm thinking they should've at least put the topic in the closing song somehow.

But overall, this was a fun reboot of the World, I think. Can't wait to see what other topics we'll cover!

Duke Remington and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  17. Drtooth

That's good to know, but it still looks like they're marketing celebrity appearances with the same hard sell.

Anyone else think that Jennifer's one shot Recycling Fairy character sounds like she's either impersonating Wanda from Fairly Oddparents or April Winchell? Seems that's the natural way to go for that kind of character.

18. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I saw one of the plots being about Elmo not wanting to take a bath and Ernie telling him of the importance of baths. I guess that will be the episode with the new celebrity "Rubber Duckie" montage. And yay, another episode with Ernie in the plot!

I'm really not surprised that they're making new Elmo's World segments, considering they brought it back (in edited form) last season. I guess now when they put out new Elmo's World DVDs once a year we can't complain about the fact that all are on DVD and they keep doing so. With 25 new segments at five minutes each, I wonder if they'll put them all on one DVD. The last few Elmo's World DVDs had eight episodes as part of the main program, which totals 120 minutes (not counting the title sequence or end credits for the video), 25 segments at five minutes would be 125 minutes, only five minutes longer (and they could make one of them a bonus segment). I also wonder if new Elmo's World DVDs would mix the new ones with old ones (whether they be the original 15-minute versions or the recent 7-minute edits).

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  19. Pig's Laundry

Yay, finally! I really hope Ernie, Bert and the Count get to appear in more street scenes this season, or at least get a line in the episodes they're in and not neglected to background characters.
    I think that's just the way most of Jennifer's characters sound.

20. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. Mama Bear doesn't sound like that: ,

LaRanaRene likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.