1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Sesame Street Season 47 Episode 4705 - Having a Ball

Discussion in 'Season 47' started by Phillip, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Episode 4705 - Having a Ball
    HBO Premiere: Saturday February 4, 2017
    PBS Premiere: Wednesday September 20, 2017

When Saul the Ball is disappointed that he can't play ball with Elmo and Rosita inside the house, Elmo and Rosita help him use his imagination to play other games.

This episode features an all-new street story, Super Grover 2.0 ("Prickly Problem") and Elmo's World ("Balls").

[​IMG]

If you saw "Having a Ball" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

The street story was fun. Peter Linz gave a great performance as Saul. Ernie and Herry made quick silent cameos. This was the first episode of the season that didn't give us a Kindness Cam segment. Was the street story a little longer because of it? I couldn't tell.

3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I really wasn't expecting much from this episode since it took place mostly in Elmo's apartment, but it wasn't too bad. Not exactly a gold-standard episode, but I'd say pretty standard nonetheless.

Really, my favorite part of this episode (aside from the curious inclusion of a real old-school EW) was the Trip-Hop 3 animation - that was awesome.

4. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

5. D'Snowth

Maybe talking balls are the new spastic fairy tale characters.

6. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. That'd be really strange, but, maybe.

7. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Quaint, to say the least. Peter was great as the ball and the song was pretty catchy. Nice to see Herry run by and Ernie in Hooper's. Remember Ernie?

I expected them to use that SG bit, but I didn't expect to see that EW.

8. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Actually, Elmo's World "Balls" was the first Elmo's World segment to air back in 1998. Sesame Workshop aired the segment for five days in a row during premiere week.

9. D'Snowth

I thought "Shoes" was the first.

10. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I like that they are trying to throw in classic forgotten characters like Harry even if it was a silent brief cameo.

11. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Nope.

12. D'Snowth

I always remembered the first month of Season 30 sort of alternating between "Shoes" and "Hats" on a weekly basis, before adding "Dancing" and "Jackets" to the roster, then later the others ("Food," "Books," "Music," "Water," "Transportation," and yes, "Balls") about halfway through the season, then "updating" the episodes during summer repeats.

I guess I'm wrong, but that's clearly how I remembered it, because, surprisingly, EW is one of the main things that really brought me back into SST after the whole ATC era sort of disenchanted me.

13. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Well, we know for a fact that Herry will be coming back next season, so I'd almost want to think of it as foreshadowing! :)

14. dwayne1115

Really i did not know that!

15. Garrett

Garrett Member

In fact, during the first 5 weeks of the 30th season, the same Elmo's World segment was shown 5 days in a row. However, when the episodes from the first 5 weeks of Season 30 reran during Summer 1999, some of the Elmo's World segments were replaced.

16. D'Snowth

I'm pretty sure I brought that up a few posts ago.

17. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

"Balls" was first, "Shoes" was second.

Actually, for the first part of season 30, the exact same episode of Elmo's World would be shown in all five episodes of the week (they also did that with Blue's Clues at the time), I remember that eventually before the season ended they stopped that and would show multiple different episodes throughout the week. Can't remember when, exactly (maybe after all ten produced for the first season had aired?), I wonder if I could find out if I look at the Muppet Wiki episode guides (don't really know off-hand if MW has pages for all season 30 episodes, let alone full info on each episode including what EW was in each).

When I first heard that "Balls" was included, I wondered if it was the original or a new segment (last week's episode had a new "Babies" segment, which was a topic in the old EW, but I also saw that this season has aired an old school EW segment, so the original EW is still part of the show in addition to the new format).

18. sesamemuppetfan

19. dwayne1115

20. sesamemuppetfan

Well, Matt confirmed in one of the most recent Below the Frame videos that Peter will officially be taking over the character, so...yeah!

dwayne1115 likes this.