1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Sesame Street Special "Once Upon a Sesame Street Christmas"

Discussion in 'Season 46' started by Phillip, Nov 25, 2016.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Another mythology gag I forgot to point out, but did anyone else notice Mr. Hat from EW had his own magazine?

2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Forgetful and Buster were on the newspaper the 2-Headed Monster was fighting over, too.

One thing I was gonna say: I really wish that "Holiday Lights" song was longer. Your big opening number and it's over in a minute?

3. D'Snowth

I wasn't paying that much attention, but I noticed during parts of the story that took place in the vacant lot where Big Bird's nest usually is, there were signs hanging by those two doors in the brick side wall indicating that a barber shop and a dentist's office were there: are those subtle new changes to the set, or was that just for the story?

4. Oscarfan

Just for the story.

5. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I've finally found it online so now I can comment on this.

I agree. Billy really shined as Ernie in this one. He really nailed that trademark 'Kee hee hee' laugh. :) I wouldn't have known it wasn't Jim or Steve doing Ernie. I also agree with the above comment on Ryan's Elmo. You wouldn't know it wasn't Kevin. Seems like these new performers are doing a great job.

Yeah. Seems like they made him more of a villian type of character rather than just a grumpy guy and that role seemed to work for him.

Yeah. I've noticed a difference in Oscar's voice lately. It's the same with Big Bird. I used to be able to tell when it's Carroll or when it's Matt voicing BB, but now it's harder to tell as there's a bit of congestion in both BB voices. But still you have to admire him for being persistent and sticking with the role of performing both characters for so long.

Oh, it's an easy mistake to make. Heck, I wouldn't know who performed any of the female characters without reading these forums.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  6. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Where'd you find it? If you don't mind me asking.
    I think it's partially due to Caroll's voice aging, but more than that, i've noticed that he tends to sound a bit off whenever he pre-records the voices instead of puppeteering.

7. Daffyfan2003

8. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

Daffyfan2003 do you knlow where I can find online the Halloween episode from season 46? Thanks!

9. WereFox

WereFox Active Member

So Sesame Street used to be a mean, rotten place back then, before becoming the cheerful, beloved place of today.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  10. Pig's Laundry

I was finally able to watch the special today and overall it was good, not fantastic but still good.

This was probably the most I laughed at the show since season 45, it finally had that signature Sesame Street humor that was lacking in most of this year's new episodes.

All the songs were catchy and I especially liked the "Try a Little Kindness" song. I definitely wasn't expecting Ernie and Bert's remake of "Two is You and Me". And speaking of Ernie and Bert, it was great to finally see them in a major role again. I'm still having a hard time getting into Billy Barkhurst's Ernie, but he has improved slightly over time.

Meanwhile, Ryan did a flawless job performing Elmo, he's just completely embodied the character and made him his own. This may be the first time i've ever said this but- Elmo was definitely the highlight of this special. Not that I dislike the little red guy, it's just the writers have rarely succeeded at making him a compelling character for so many years now, it's refreshing to finally see him develop more as a character.

And as someone else said, Leslie did a great job as Smudge. She's a fantastic performer, but she's not always right for some of the characters she gets, so she was well cast here.

All that being said, I think this whole special would've been much better if it was shorter. The pacing was a little off at times and it became pretty dull about half an hour in. I honestly feel the special should've just been around 30 minutes.

As for the guest stars, Audra MacDonald's cameo added nothing to the plot and was easily forgettable and Jim Gaffigan - well, he really didn't need to be there either. He didn't get much to do, so, they could've literally cast any other actor as Santa and it wouldn't have made a difference.

And one other thing, Elmo constantly interrupting the story got pretty annoying after about the third time.

Also, Joey's absence has already become very noticeable. In fact, the lack of Joey characters in season 46 felt a little odd, but had Joey still been with the show, he no doubt would've gotten some part in the special (besides the Two-Headed Monster, I mean). And speaking of Joey's characters, i've grown up with Joey's version of Two- Headed Monster, so it was a little strange hearing him played by someone else.

11. D'Snowth

As I've before, my only criticism of Leslie (albeit minor) is a lack of vocal range - many of her characters sound like a variation of Abby. But then again, Frank was kind of the same way in the past, many of his one-shot and incident characters sounded like variations of Bert.

As for Two-Headed Monster, since they've always basically spoke in monster gibberish, I think it's a little easier to overlook changes in their performers, even though there are noticeable differences: Jerry and Richard gave them deeper, gruffer, and somewhat more subdued voices, whereas Joey and David sounds like Baby Bear and Papa Bear with sore throats after having eaten porridge laced with speed.

12. Oscarfan

My main criticism of her is that her manipulation isn't that great (case and point: "Do You Hear the Cookies Crunch?" in the Les Mousserables bit). I guess I'm biased because there are plenty of other Muppeteers who aren't either (Brian M, Fran [though she improved] and even Jerry, though that might have been a deliberate thing I hear). I don't why I can't get past it with her the way I can the others.

13. Pig's Laundry

So i'm not the only one that noticed that! Compared to the other characters in that scene, Leslie's looks really awkward and stiff. Although, besides that segment, I don't really see any problems with her performing, although I kind of see what your talking about with Fran and Jerry. However, what they lacked in puppeteering, they more than made up for with their fantastic characters. In fact, I think Fran and Jerry are the two greatest character creators in the history of the show.
    That used to drive me crazy, especially since for a while it seemed that she played almost every single female that appeared on the show. Same thing with Joey, most of his characters sound like Murray/Stinky, so it used to annoy me that he played so many characters.

cahuenga likes this.
  14. D'Snowth

Vocal-wise, Brian, to me, was one of the more versatile performers they had, but I agree, there was something about his manipulation, moreso his lipsyncing, that I always found somewhat . . . odd. Rusty from the Camp Echo Rock story arc is perhaps the best example I can think of, where you can see rather than hitting each individual syllable when speaking, his mouth looks more like he's just chattering indistinctively as he speaks.
    With the exception of Cookie Monster, I guess the same could be said for David as well. That, and perhaps Snort from Bunny Picnic, but otherwise, almost all of his characters sound like variations of Baby Bear . . . I was actually thrilled, in a way, to hear his voice as Miss Poogy in THE MUPPETS (2011), if only because I don't remember David performing outside SST since maybe TMI. Same could be said for Marty, he worked outside SST a little in his early years (the farmer from Bunny Picnic, for example), but seems like he too performs to SST exclusively.

15. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

What's TMI again?

16. D'Snowth

I meant MTI (MUPPET TREASURE ISLAND). I really need to proofread my posts more often, my typos and misprints are becoming more and more common lately.

17. Pig's Laundry

Oh, and I forgot to mention; Considering they had an hour long story it was a little disappointing that they didn't make use of more characters. Rosita, Telly, Zoe, Baby Bear, Snuffy, Prairie Dawn- it would've been nice if they had at least gotten a line or two.

18. Daffyfan2003

Sorry. That one I haven't been able to find. If I come across it, I'll let you know.

Didn't Dave (Rudman) perform the Chef on Muppet Christmas Carol? After all, that was before MTI.

cahuenga likes this.
  19. D'Snowth

Yes, as well as Kermit/Bob and Piggy/Emily's son Peter, and Old Joe (though not the voice). But what I was saying is up till THE MUPPETS (2011), I hadn't seem him really perform much with the Classic Muppets since MTI.

20. Daffyfan2003

Yeah. I know exactly what you mean, they didn't have a permanent performer for Scooter or Janice until a few years ago. I guess Dave's SS schedule kept him busy for quite some time.