Sesame Street taught me how to read

Kerri

Reaction score
I just wanted to put this out on the forum, not like anyone here doesn't know and appreciate the real value of this wonderful show!.... but I wanted to say, I read my baby book, and it's 39 years old mind you.... and right there in my mother's handwriting, she says that I learned how to read BY watching Sesame Street. By 4 I was in nursery school reading books to my fellow classmates. I mean, how cool is THAT! Just wanted to share. Does anyone else have an outright claim to Sesame Street for thier Life Quality? please share!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
That's pretty good. What took you long to mention that?

Also where've you been all this time?

I remember you were the one who's dad was in that SS film.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's cool that you learned to read so early!

It's definitely true that Sesame Street helped me out with learning early on. I remember one Ernie and Bert sketch, where Ernie ate one of Bert's five cookies. Ernie tries to fix the problem by moving the cookies around:

Ernie: Maybe if we move them like...so. There, now maybe there's five cookies!

Bert: No, Ernie! No matter how you move them there are still five cookies!

That may not seem like much. But after taking Child Psychology, I now know just how important it is for children to understand these concepts early on. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

There were other things that had to do with quality of life. I remember Gordon singing a song about how he was afraid of the dark as a child. Bert and Ernie have also sung about overcoming their fears. It was comforting to see that even adults can be afraid, and learn how to conquer your fears.

Speaking of fears, there was always something on Sesame Street that would scare me. But I definitely think it was a credit to the show that we kept coming back everyday, despite knowing we would likely be terrified at some point! As I look back now, I'm kinda grateful. In a way, SS taught you that you can't let fear keep you from the things you love. And just because something's scary, doesn't mean it's bad. :smile:

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I guess it's not the show itself, but Don't Cry, Big Bird was one of the first books I ever read by myself.

Kerri

Reaction score
That's pretty good. What took you long to mention that?

Also where've you been all this time?

I remember you were the one who's dad was in that SS film.
Actually, I didn't even KNOW it till a few months ago, and I read my baby book. Thought that was pretty cool! I always thought Mom taught me how to read. I remember reading with her, but never remembered how I actually learned to read. guess I was so young I just forgot!

I've been so busy with my crazy 2 year old, and a now 9 month old baby too, I just haven't been online much at all. Now that their sleep time's normalling out I can finally find free time now and then, whoopie doo for me! :smile: So I'll be around a lot more now, finally! Glad I bookmarked this fun forum!

Kerri

Reaction score
That's cool that you learned to read so early!

It's definitely true that Sesame Street helped me out with learning early on. I remember one Ernie and Bert sketch, where Ernie ate one of Bert's five cookies. Ernie tries to fix the problem by moving the cookies around:

Ernie: Maybe if we move them like...so. There, now maybe there's five cookies!

Bert: No, Ernie! No matter how you move them there are still five cookies!

That may not seem like much. But after taking Child Psychology, I now know just how important it is for children to understand these concepts early on. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

There were other things that had to do with quality of life. I remember Gordon singing a song about how he was afraid of the dark as a child. Bert and Ernie have also sung about overcoming their fears. It was comforting to see that even adults can be afraid, and learn how to conquer your fears.

Speaking of fears, there was always something on Sesame Street that would scare me. But I definitely think it was a credit to the show that we kept coming back everyday, despite knowing we would likely be terrified at some point! As I look back now, I'm kinda grateful. In a way, SS taught you that you can't let fear keep you from the things you love. And just because something's scary, doesn't mean it's bad. :smile:
Exactly. And that's great that you remember the Ernie/Bert sketch all these years later! But it's so true, those simple things, they DO sink into the kids little heads, subtly guiding them towards and understanding of how things work all around. I watch it with my two year old and we discuss like, EVERYTHING we see on there. Also having taken child psych myself, I know that the interaction with your kids that you at home do with them has more of an effect than anything else... so when you watch WITH your child and interact with them, discussing things, it has even that much more power to sink in. My 2 1/2 year old has what I think is an incredible understanding of things, she just amazes me, and it's not just cause i"m prejudiced! She's learning new things each day, it's amazing to have a conversation with her, knowing she... honestly, it's like talking to a 5 year old, it's fascinating!

Kerri

Reaction score
I guess it's not the show itself, but Don't Cry, Big Bird was one of the first books I ever read by myself.
But you remember it, and it made enough of an impact on you that you remember it. And I'm sure it's theme sunk in there, too, having an effect on you. So cool. I still remember ALL the words to each song on the original Sesame Street album that my mother bought me when it was released. And ya know, it does help you to remember stuff! ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ it's the most remarkable word I've ever seen!

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, not only did it it teach me to read, but the first books I read were either Sesame Street or Muppet Babies. And I read pretty young too. Sesame Street gave me a life long love of reading... that school then took away with all the talk of "symbolism" and memorizing tiny sections that I didn't care about in boring books.

Kerri

Reaction score
You know, not only did it it teach me to read, but the first books I read were either Sesame Street or Muppet Babies. And I read pretty young too. Sesame Street gave me a life long love of reading... that school then took away with all the talk of "symbolism" and memorizing tiny sections that I didn't care about in boring books.
They didn't even have "the Muppets" when I was a kid. They finally came out with the muppet show when I was... well, older. And I watched it because it totally rocks, every Monday night, I couldn't wait for it to come on! I never actually saw Muppet Babies, I've just seen the characters on merchandise in stores. But I have a number of books with each of them for my kids.