Sesame Street Treasury

Lemonzinger

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure if this belongs here or in the merchandise forum...

I just recently rediscovered a set of books I've had since I was about 4 years old called "The Sesame Street Treasury". Each volume in this set is dedicated to teaching a certain letter and number, using great Sesame artwork and photos to do so. Most of the stories and art in these books date from the early seventies to the early eighties, probably reprinted from other books or something like that.

I remember that they were released on a weekly basis and my mom and grandma had to buy them at the local grocery store.

Does anyone else here remember these books ?

Rich

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure you're talking about the Sesame Street Treasury and not the Sesame Street Library? The difference is simple, in the following respects other than just the titles.

1 The Sesame Street Library was divided up into fifteen volumes, with the last three dedicated to featuring their respective numbers.
2 The books in the Sesame Street Library featured hand-drawn images of the characters, the Sesame Street sign at the top of the book, and the volume number in a little square at the top corner of the book above the sign.
3 The books in the Sesame Street Library featured a combination of letters and numbers, not just one each; and had stories for both the letters and numbers. The volumes were the following:
Volume 1: Featuring the Letters A and B, and the Number 1. Big Bird holding block letters A and B and block number 1.
Volume 2: Featuring the Letters C and D, and the Number 2. Ernie holding the letters, while Bert drove the bicycle built for two and the number shows up on the front plate.
Volume 3: Featuring the Letters E and F and the Number 3. Cookie Monster resting atop two blocks showing the letters, and munching on a cookie number 3.
Volume 4: Featuring the Letters G, H and I and the Number 4. Grover's piloting a plane with the number on the tail and the letters made out of clouds before him.
Volume 5: Featuring the Letters J and K and the Number 5. Big Bird, Ernie, Betty Lou, Cookie Monster, and Bert performing as the Sesame Street 5 with the number or band logo on Ernie's drums and the letters on the side of Bert's piano.
Volume 6: Featuring the Letters L and M and the Number 6. Sherlock Hemlock's examining a few Twiddlebugs who hold up signs with the appropriate letters and/or number.
Volume 7: Featuring the Letters N, O and P and the Number 7. The Count's playing hopscotch on numbered squares with the 7 lighted up, as a few bats watch from above a fence post where the letters are painted.
Volume 8: Featuring the Letters Q and R and the Number 8. The Amazing Mumford pulls the letters out of his hat, while a rabbit holds the number below the table.
Volume 9: Featuring the Letter S and the Number 9. Oscar, as an artist, holds two paintings he made; one of a letter S made of swirling paint in all the colors of the rainbow, and a 9 made out of pieces of trash.
Volume 10: Featuring the Letter T and the Number 10. Grover wearing a letter T on his shirt jogs by a Twiddlebug lemonade stand selling drinks for 10 cents a glass.
Volume 11: Featuring the Letters U and V and the Number 11. Herry Monster, Frazzle, and a few monsters are fishing in a leaky boat marked by the number whereas Herry catches the letters on his line.
Volume 12: Featuring the Letters W, X, Y and Z and the Number 12. Prairie Dawn, Guy Smiley, Bert and Ernie are taking a train ride on their way to the letter-marked signposts, with the number on the front of the train.
Volume 13: Featuring the Number 13. Bert and Ernie racing in a go-cart downhill, with the number painted on the cart's side.
Volume 14: Featuring the Number 14. Little Bird, perched at Big Bird's feet, waves a banner with the number.
Volume 15: Featuring the Number 15. Super Grover flies by holding a weight marked by the number.

The only time I saw the books from the Sesame Street Library was about ten years ago, during my last trip to Baltimore for an eye examination. Back then, my sight was still better to the point that I could discern images on book covers and read text (no more nowadays though.) The thing that made these stand out was the fact that their covers featured the actual Muppet characters from Sesame with some sort of item for the letter featured in the volume, which wasn't announced right off the bat. The other thing was the rully nice inside cover art showing the characters and letters and number in a sort of spreadsheet fashion. There were only seven books back then, and I haven't seen them since.
Sorry for the long reply, but hope this helps and you have a good night.

Lemonzinger

Reaction score
Count,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Unfortunately, this is definitely not the set I have. If anyone would be interested in getting some pics, I could probably scan some in and clear this up...

Maybe more people will remember if they have a picture reference.
Rich

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So are you saying that the books you have "aren't" the Sesame Street Library? And they're rully from the Sesame Street Treasury? Might be interested in them if it weren't for my batty blind eyes.
Anyway, maybe this'll further help disspell the confusion. I said that when I found those books at my old ophtalmologist's offices at Baltimore, there were seven of them with pics of the actual Muppet characters.

Volume 1, for the letter A: This one had Big Bird pointing at an alphabet chart, hence the item for the letter A.
Volume 2, for the letter B: This one had Grover trying to catch a few butterflies.
Volume 3, for the letter C: This one had Prairie Dawn playing with a few toy cars.
Volume 4, for the letter D: This one had Grover's Mommy walking Dimples the Dog.
Volume 5, for the letters E and F: This one had Oscar in his trashcan in the air, kind of propelled by a couple of eggbeaters and fly fishing with a fishing pole in front of him.
Volume 6, for the letters G and H is the only one which I don't remember who the cover Muppet was nor the letter-specific items featured in the cover photo.
Volume 7, for the letters I and J: This one had Ernie and Bert, not sure if Ernie was eating an ice cream cone but Bert was dressed up as the Jack springing out of the jack-in-the-box.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

floydnjanicefan

Reaction score
The Count said:
So are you saying that the books you have "aren't" the Sesame Street Library? And they're rully from the Sesame Street Treasury? Might be interested in them if it weren't for my batty blind eyes.
Anyway, maybe this'll further help disspell the confusion. I said that when I found those books at my old ophtalmologist's offices at Baltimore, there were seven of them with pics of the actual Muppet characters.

Volume 1, for the letter A: This one had Big Bird pointing at an alphabet chart, hence the item for the letter A.
Volume 2, for the letter B: This one had Grover trying to catch a few butterflies.
Volume 3, for the letter C: This one had Prairie Dawn playing with a few toy cars.
Volume 4, for the letter D: This one had Grover's Mommy walking Dimples the Dog.
Volume 5, for the letters E and F: This one had Oscar in his trashcan in the air, kind of propelled by a couple of eggbeaters and fly fishing with a fishing pole in front of him.
Volume 6, for the letters G and H is the only one which I don't remember who the cover Muppet was nor the letter-specific items featured in the cover photo.
Volume 7, for the letters I and J: This one had Ernie and Bert, not sure if Ernie was eating an ice cream cone but Bert was dressed up as the Jack springing out of the jack-in-the-box.
Hope this helps and have a good day.
I have that set of books that you are describing... There are 15 in all. They are at my house and I am at my dorm room so I cant remember them all, but I know that one has Frazzle on the cover, one has forgetful Jones, one has Bert tangled in a yoyo, one had Herry Monster, one had Ernie swimming with an octopus. I believe that another had the Count against a night sky, and someone, maybe Grover, flying a kite. Hope that helps... :stick_out_tongue:

Lemonzinger

Reaction score
Yeah, Count, the second set of books you describe do sound like they could be the ones I have. Floydnjanicefan seems to remember them correctly as well...

Rich

sydmommy

Reaction score
Lemonzinger said:
I'm not quite sure if this belongs here or in the merchandise forum...

I just recently rediscovered a set of books I've had since I was about 4 years old called "The Sesame Street Treasury". Each volume in this set is dedicated to teaching a certain letter and number, using great Sesame artwork and photos to do so. Most of the stories and art in these books date from the early seventies to the early eighties, probably reprinted from other books or something like that.

I remember that they were released on a weekly basis and my mom and grandma had to buy them at the local grocery store.

Does anyone else here remember these books ?

Rich
Yes- i remember these books-I had them when I was a kid and have been scouring used book stores looking for the set my daughter. I enjoyed them so much when I was a kid I thought she might enjoy them too.

Anyone know where you can buy these books now??

sydmommy :stick_out_tongue:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Have u ever tried Ebay. They always have a set. Both if I'm right about this. I got my set off ebay just remember when u do look at them. The set I got were kid of not so good. Not to say they were bad but I work at Goodwill so I see these books come through here from time to time (just not the whole set) Now I did find the whole set of the "The Sesame Street Treasury". But every now and then I'll see both kinds of books of SS come in and out. So keep cheaking and maybe you'll find either at GW or Ebay.

PS. I cheaked Ebay and is this what ur looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3580854464&category=29164

sydmommy

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Have u ever tried Ebay. They always have a set. Both if I'm right about this. I got my set off ebay just remember when u do look at them. The set I got were kid of not so good. Not to say they were bad but I work at Goodwill so I see these books come through here from time to time (just not the whole set) Now I did find the whole set of the "The Sesame Street Treasury". But every now and then I'll see both kinds of books of SS come in and out. So keep cheaking and maybe you'll find either at GW or Ebay.

PS. I cheaked Ebay and is this what ur looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3580854464&category=29164

I've checked out the link, and these are NOT the ones I'm looking for. The Sesame Street Treasury are yellow books. Big Bird is on Book #1, I beleive Grover is on #2, and so on. The books that I saw in the above auction are no where near as good as the treasury. These books are not as in depth as the Treasury books. The Treasury books have far more pages and I believe far more info and activities for kids.

If you happen to see anything else, please let me know. I will be keeping an eye for them on ebay.

Thanks again!!

sydmommy :stick_out_tongue: