Sesame Street under attack for airing McDonald's commercials

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Jennifer12 said:
McDonalds marketing strategies. I don't eat fast food anyway, but ever since I read Eric Schlosser's book "Fast Food Nation," I've avoided McDonalds like the plague.
I think they should hand out copies of "Fast Food Nation" at the enterance to every fast food outlet in North America. If you can eat fast food after reading that book you've earned the right to. That book has changed people's lives....ever since I've abandon fast food....except for Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
except for Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich
I don't eat much fast food anymore, either. I eat burgers, but on rare occasions. And when I do eat them, it's almost always either a garden or turkey burger. If you're ever in San Francisco, stop by at a Mel's Drive-In for dinner. Some of the best burgers around! :smile:

I do have weaknesses, though, when it comes to American fast food chains.
Jack in the Box -- Vanilla/oreo cookie milkshakes (their chocolate ones are not great; they have a wierd aftertaste), Wendy's -- Frosty
McDonald's -- McFlurry, vanilla ice cream, cookies

I also love Taco Bell -- Basically everything except the chelupas (I love the taste, but they're sooooooooooooo high in fat and bad calories; the worst thing on their menu) :smile: -- but I guess that's more mexican.

Posted by Drtooth - Today at 01:34 PM
I'd love to write an editorial about this...
Go ahead. I'd love to read it.

Posted by jediX - Today at 07:41 AM
My high school's cafeteria food was infinitely worse than any fast food could ever produce. Sadly, eating at Wendy's was healthier. lol
Yes, high school. Home of the no-frills $6 chicken sandwhich that looks like it had been in the freezer for at least a week.

The regular sandwhiches were worse. Wheat bread as dry as one could imagine...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think I'll work on an editorial over the weekend or something, then submit it and see if Phil likes it...

By far, I am not so offened by McDonald's.. face it... that kind of food IS marketed for little kids, anyway! Besides, they at least rry to hide the fact it's an advertisement... but the one that really offends me, read my previous post, is the Spagettio's one, blatantly going ffor an endorsment...

Hays

Reaction score
Here's the big issue, though - should ANY corporation be able to air commercials - because that's what those spots are - on public television? Remember - public television is supposed to be supported by citizens. If a corporation is making a tax-free "donation" to a program in return for a commercial, that's money out of your and my pocket.

Even though those spots are carefully crafted to ensure they don't contain a call to action, they are commercials. My son doesn't watch much TV outside of PBS, but he could spot a McDonald's and a Chuck E Cheese's from the car and ask to go there by the age of two. Obviously, as a parent, I'm in control of where he eats, but I'm not really happy with the idea that my kid is brand-conscious before he learns to read, especially when it's costing me tax revenue. If they want that stuff on Disney channel where it belongs, great.

About 10 years ago, anybody could use "corporate sponsorship" as a tax-free way to get their brand on anything, particularly college football games, which had TV audiences that gave corporations a huge bang for their buck. When the government figured this out, they set up stringent rules about what counted as a "donation" and what didn't. This really hit the arts hard, and right around that time the NEA was shut down. Corporate sponsorship became the only way for arts organizations, PBS among others, to survive, and they worked out those cute little "greeting card" spots where any product can "thank" PBS and wave its brand in your face. Note that none of the foundations (who have nothing to gain) have anything but a mention and possibly a logo.

I don't know about the connection between kid's TV and obesity, but don't kid yourself that this issue doesn't matter. It's costing you millions of dollars in taxes. If we want public television to be truly public, then we have to find another way to finance it.

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Hays said:
Here's the big issue, though - should ANY corporation be able to air commercials - because that's what those spots are - on public television? Remember - public television is supposed to be supported by citizens. If a corporation is making a tax-free "donation" to a program in return for a commercial, that's money out of your and my pocket.
The only problem is that the citizens don't support public broadcasting enough. I guess I'd rather have corporations donate money to support the shows then not have the shows around at all. The chance to watch Sesame Street, Mr. Roger's, Reading Ranbow, etc growing up was definitely worth any benefit I would've received from those tax dollars. You make some good points though, Hays.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Remember when LeVar Burton accepted Reading Rainbow's Emmy, and made a plea for anyone who has the money to sponsor the show? I love RR; it was a huge part of my life growing up and is one of the shows -- along w/SS and Mister Rogers -- that I truly believe is partly responsible for who I am today.

But most people out there don't care about stuff like this. I've noticed, for years now, a steady rise in big-time sponsorships for young children's programming on PBS.

And it's sad. I honestly fear the day when a lot of these shows are taken off the air. Not just because I still enjoy some of them, but because of the principle of the thing.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
People take it for granted. Sesame Street will always find a sponsor, but others aren't as lucky. I'm not wild about McDs being their sponsor, but they are a strong backer. They're also reportedly trying to clean up their act. I don't buy it, but baby steps are better than none. With public television placed in the hands of large corporations, I wonder what it will do to the perspective of the young viewers when they grow up.

What really upsets me about reports like Naders is that it nit-picks on issues without providing any solutions. The whiners of the world never impress me. Form a plan, then I might jump on board.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
McDonald's first announced their plans to "turn around" a couple of years ago. Since then, Burger King and even Wendy's has become healthier. Jack in the Box has a bunch of healthier options now; and Carl's Jr. is also entering the healthier fast food game.

While McDonald's does nothing.

I'm not holding my breath :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
trekkie1701E said:
McDonald's first announced their plans to "turn around" a couple of years ago. Since then, Burger King and even Wendy's has become healthier. Jack in the Box has a bunch of healthier options now; and Carl's Jr. is also entering the healthier fast food game.

While McDonald's does nothing.

I'm not holding my breath :smile:
They have salads now. LOL! Baby steps.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Did anyone see any of the "The Blues" series a couple of weeks ago on PBS? They all started with A VOLKSWAGEN COMMERCIAL!!!!! Not a "hint" of sponsorship....not an "oops"....a commercial. I remember my jaw dropped open at how obvious it was. It was quite sad, really; the beginning of the end. They've been sneaking this stuff in a lot lately. Have you noticed that "ZOOM" still has some integrity? They have the Arthur Vining Davis Foundation (doesn't quite sound like they sell a whole lot of burgers!) and member sponsorship. No commercials.

I remember years ago that I used to think they were pushing it when the art supply store that sponsored Bob Ross' "Joy Of Painting" would run a quick ad for art supplies. That's pretty tame now, isn't it?

later
eric