Sesame Workshop Blu-rays

Muzzarino

Reaction score
I feel that SW never even released home videos on Blu-ray like Elmo's Alphabet Challenge, The Cookie Thief and so on like they should have in-order for them to be seen in clear HD quality off-line.

It would be nice to convince them to start producing them and for Elmo in Grouchland to get a blu-ray release as people been talking about this film to have one.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm surprised that there still hasn't been a Follow That Bird Blu-ray now. Elmo in Grouchland I'm a little less surprised, though I could see Sony doing that (since Sony did release the first Blu-rays of Muppet movies). Next year would be the 20th anniversary of Elmo in Grouchland, that would make a good time to put out a Blu-ray (if they thought the anniversary would be worth celebrating). Putting out Blu-ray editions of either movie would also be a good way to tie in with the shows 50th anniversary.

Suddenly, I wonder if maybe Warner and/or Sony were waiting for that announced-but-not-guaranteed-to-be-made third Sesame Street movie to put out Blu-rays of those films.

I could see Blu-ray releases of the stuff shot in HD, but putting out works produced on tape wouldn't improve on HD. I wonder if they could market an "HD Sesame Street" collection (what would make a good title), or maybe just a release that would stick with HD-produced segments. Of course in the last few years most Sesame Street DVD releases have only contained material shot in HD (not counting bonus features). Maybe they could put out a "complete" compilation for Elmo the Musical, Abby's Flying Fairy School, Super Grover 2.0, Cookie's Crumby Pictures, or Smart Cookies on Blu-ray.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if they could release the various pre-2008 film and animation inserts on Blu-ray. They were shot on film but would have been mastered on tape, but there's got to still be existing film copies somewhere. Though I have a feeling that the negatives/film prints would be in storage for the various filmmakers/animation companies as opposed to Sesame Workshop (but I don't know for sure).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Today an article announcing that Shout! has taken over video rights has gone online (though we kinda already knew), and the article does mention Blu-rays. Maybe there'll be something on Blu-ray in the next year.