1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Sesame Workshop Launches "Sesame Studios"

Discussion in 'Sesame Worlds' started by Drtooth, May 6, 2016.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Basically a web exclusive series of clips to supplement Sesame Street. Just..without all your favorite characters:

That slug thingy looks...unnatural. Like one of those Zula Patrol guys with slightly better animation.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

So it's basically the 2009 version of "The Electric Company" without any actual plot.

3. zucca

zucca New Member

Is this the "spinoff" we've been hearing about?

4. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

No. This is a web-based thing only.

Seems neat. I take as its completely own thing, despite the Sesame connection in the name. Same like Square One or 3-2-1 Contact: same company as Sesame, but not related at all.

5. Drtooth

It does seem like it's supposed to be its own thing, but they really tie in Sesame Street hard. I understand why. It needs that name recognition to really take off. But I can't help shake the fact that the intended audience is going to be wondering just where the heck Elmo and Big Bird are in this and why they get some Sluggy looking thing instead. It seems that thematically it looks like segments that could have been on Sesame Street. As in the films and song inserts that don't feature recurring characters from the show. I'd guess that they probably were but, due to the shorter running time of the new seasons, they actually had some of these commissioned but had no where to drop them into the show.

6. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

Sesame Studios was completely unexpected, I don't understand the need for it. But it's more content from Sesame Workshop so that's good.

7. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

The only good thing to come out of this is this series of commercials for the channel: ,

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  8. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

Ooh, sounds like Eric performing Oscar at the end of the letter of the day song video.

9. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yep, that's Eric. Since Grover and Oscar are the characters that were used I wonder if Eric was the only puppeteer there, if so I hope Bert appears.

10. Drtooth

Here's one of the first new clips. I don't think it's made for me.

Clearly, this is for little kids, so I'm not going to say any further about it. Though it really looks like if it was on the show I'd also feel pretty ambivalent about it.

11. backpackmina

backpackmina Active Member

Do we know who performs Slug-thing?

12. Drtooth

I don't know, but that thing is incredibly visually unappealing. Not that it doesn't look kinda Henson-y. But somehow it looks like someone took that guy from Zula Patrol and did that thing they did with Scooby-Doo and Garfield when they had movies.

Yuck.

13. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

There's a few videos with Sesame Street characters promoting the channel.

Grover:

Oscar: (I think he's performed by Eric Jacobson here - I didn't think that until I was watching and thought something about Oscar's voice sounded a little less gruff, but then I saw YouTube comments that say it was him)

Elmo:

14. Drtooth

...And that's the only Muppet connection to these videos. They're all taken from the ends of other Sesame Street videos. Nice to see them separated, though.