1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Shaka's Sesame Sketches

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by ShakaRaka, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ShakaRaka

ShakaRaka Member

So! I don't have very much worth scanning and sharing at the moment, but now that I'm on Christmas break, hopefully I'll be able to motivate myself to get some of my ideas on paper.
    Be forewarned! I like to ramble. A lot. xD;

To start out, this is just a group of three very basic character drawings to establish a style for drawing them later. And thus why their poses are less than inspired or dynamic. (They look best in full-size.)

[​IMG]

Yeah, I know, it's downright surreal to see Oscar out of his can. But I like to draw characters as fully flesh and blood creatures and take a few liberties (like his shoulders here) while still staying fairly true to their overall visual identity.
    His face took some hundred and one adjustments until I was happy with it. Also, most may not notice or think much of it at first, since monsters and monster-esqe Muppets are generally bottom-heavy by default, but I actually gave him more of a paunch than I would for others. I thought it wasn't too out-of-place for a crusty, middle-aged guy like him to have just the slightest touch of a "beer-gut." XD;;;

I'm the least satisfied with the Count's pose. I mostly wanted to show off his hands a bit. And his body proportions took soe tweaking, but I'm overall satisfied with it, awkward pose aside.

Oh geez, Cookie, your hands! It was a nightmare to figure those out and get them the way I wanted. Oh, but once I got past those, the rest was a blast to draw. <3

Soooo yeah, maybe I'll have more up by tomorrow. I am also open to suggestions, and critique is highly encouraged. <3

2. Plaid Fraggle

Plaid Fraggle Well-Known Member

WHOA now. I'd have more critiquing to do if you needed it, but your linework is SUPERB!! I must say, SS characters in your style are downright awesome :wisdom: (I like using that "wisdom" Big Bird as a smiley, heh)

I especially love Cookie's fingers and your Count von Count in the middle all around. The Count was always my favorite along with Bert and Big Bird, and your version of him looks positively dapper. His hands are well-defined, too! I'd just say keep it up! :excited:

ShakaRaka likes this.
  3. ShakaRaka

ShakaRaka Member

:flirt::flirt::flirt:
    Thank you so much omg!

Great to know that the headache from the constant redrawing of their hands was worth it. XD And the fact that you like my Count, when he was the one I was most worried about.
    Yes, I simply had to give him a dapper look, as would suit a nobleman. :batty:

Plaid Fraggle likes this.
  4. AlittleMayhem

AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

Wow, I love them! You add real character to the drawings and you have a wonderful style! I hope to see more! :)

ShakaRaka likes this.
  5. ShakaRaka

ShakaRaka Member

Aww, thank you! :flirt: I hope I can post more. xD I probably won't be able to post anything today like I hoped, but ah well. I should be able to organize my ideas and put them to paper eventually.

AlittleMayhem likes this.
  6. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Great job! I like to be more realistic with my representations of the Muppets, but this is really a fantastic cartoon. I really hope that we can share some SS-themed artwork in the future. :grouchy::(:p:batty::wisdom::laugh::super::insatiable::search:

7. ShakaRaka

ShakaRaka Member

Thanks again, everyone. :)
    Man, I told myself I would draw and post a Christmassy sketch at least before the end of the month, but the last two weeks were just really hectic, so uhh...

OH LOOK OVER HERE! A puny handful of hasty, digitally cleaned-up sketches of babby Cookie to distract you all in the meantime! :insatiable:
    Er, I mean... Hey, check it out: some cutesy baby drawings I decided to ink and post for no particular reason. Eheheheh... eheh...
    >>;
    <<;
    [​IMG]
    *flees*

Lol what is sleep?

8. AlittleMayhem

Aww, they're adorable! Really nice lines too! :)

9. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Wowie Kazowie! These are marvelous! I especially like the original drawings you posted first, but cute Cookie Monsters are equally awesome! :insatiable:

Especially loving the Count drawing most of all.

10. Plaid Fraggle

Such clean linework and such cute cuteness! :insatiable: Your Baby Cookies are awesome

11. ShakaRaka

ShakaRaka Member

A very belated thanks to you guys for your kind words concerning my babbi Cookie doodles. :)

Jeez, I thought I'd be a little more active than this. D8 But the only thing I've finished that I feel is good enough for sharing (that didn't wind up looking horrible when scanned) were these two huge pics.

Pics of one of my personal favorites. :3

[​IMG]

Again, very basic; mostly just getting used to drawing him. I should really try to better reflect his manic nature in future sketches. Also, I wound up drawing the left one on the paper in a way and in a place that left no room for his other hand; and I'd already done too much work on the face to just erase it all and start over. Oh well.

I know I'm not the only Telly fan here, right? >>;

12. AlittleMayhem

Aw, how cute! :)

13. Plaid Fraggle

VERY good job in capturing Telly's character :) I really admire your sketches! They're so clean.

ShakaRaka likes this.
  14. ShakaRaka

ShakaRaka Member

Heee! Good to know I did him justice. :excited:

Hmm...
    Now I need to get back to figuring out how to draw expressions for some of these bulbous-eyed monsters. AGH why did I have to get hooked to drawing fanart for a show with so many characters without eyebrows?! Aaaghsbasdbf DX

Plaid Fraggle likes this.
  15. TheWeirdoGirl

TheWeirdoGirl Well-Known Member

Your Telly sketches are great! He's always been one of my top favorite Sesame characters too.

ShakaRaka likes this.
  16. ShakaRaka

ShakaRaka Member

Good Lord, I am so bad about replying properly. Or keeping up with anything. Honestly, it's been well over a month. orz

But anyway, thanks, WeirdoGirl. :3 Nice to meet fans of such an under-appreciated character (or at least under-appreciated compared to most other major players).

And now, a question: how does this fandom generally feel about ehh... *cough* fan-characters... ?

17. Plaid Fraggle

Oh please :coy: I don't have any OCs for anything, really, but I am sure everyone'd love to meet yours if you have 'em! Muppet fans are pretty cool with most things and creative in general, I've come to find.

18. ShakaRaka

ShakaRaka Member

Oh good. XD It's just that, y'know, Muppets in general seem almost like a part of something untouchable and too sacred to soil with typical fandom trappings like OCs or shipping; both of which sometimes get a bad rep. (... And that I actually create and do plenty of, respectively... ) I was afraid that most Muppet fans would groan and roll their eyes at things like OCs. Especially one's like mine. >>;

But here he is anyway. Drawn somewhat sloppily on the back of an old printed page, because I don't like to waste paper. XD;

Meet Marcus.
    [​IMG]
    Yes, I know, he looks like a very stereotypical emo teen. XD But there is a purpose to it.

He was created from a fascination I have concerning the nature of Grouches. Namely, just how much of their drive to indulge in unpleasantness and condemn niceness is natural to their species, and how much is socially conditioned. Is it mostly born out of instinct and natural preference, or is it mostly learned? Is there a real reason behind it besides "that's just how Grouches are?" And does the reason have its roots in more animalistic, feral ancestors, or was it fabricated later on by their more sapient society? Just how did they come to be this way?

Anyway, my point is that I'm really interested in "nature versus nurture," and it got me thinking of a Grouch raised by non-Grouch parents and how it might affect said Grouch's character. Yeah, it's one of those "character is adopted and raised by different species and faces problems because of it" sort of plots, except that he's sixteen at the time of the main story and has known what he is and the fact he's adopted since he was really young. It's mostly about a teenager struggling to figuring himself out - as most struggle to do, of course - while also being tugged in different directions by two world's that have their own ideas of how he should think and act.

19. Plaid Fraggle

DUDE. That is...wow. That is really cool. What an absolutely awesome OC! I dig it!!

I love a fan who thinks about these kinds of things :D

20. ShakaRaka

ShakaRaka Member

^_^ !! Heh, yeah, I think about these kinds of things all the time with fandoms. Especially if I'm building stories and/or characters around them.

Along with Marcus, I already have a small cast of characters; five altogether, so far. And here's the second.

This is Connie.
    [​IMG]

Musing over what I'd seen of Abby's fantasy world thus far, I somehow wound up thinking of an imp character from the same world. There's more to her character than just that, of course, but I don't want to give too much away just yet. :shifty:

AlittleMayhem likes this.