Shalom Sesame Chanukah airing in NYC/NJ Area

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Heads up people, this is going to air this week on some PBS stations. So, check your local listings!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wish they'd air the other ones too. I don't like the thought of having to buy the really expensive DVD's to see a single half hour episode.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
They really should've put more than one episode on them, or at least make them longer. They barely have 5 minutes of plot an episode.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Well, I watched a lot of it today but not all of it because I had class to get to. Unfortunatly, I have to say I was pretty disappointed. Too many inserts, not enough time on Rechov Sumsum. I respect what they did with these videos but that doesn't mean this Chanukah one is particularly good. I'll stick with the classic Chanukah one, even if "Do De Rubber Duck" has nothing to do with the holiday.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There are things I like about the new one over the old version. I kinda never cared much for the dubbed footage... it's all "This is how the characters sound" and there's nothing more jarring than the half English/Half Hebrew stops between the songs. It would have been better to have them entirely in Hebrew. But even then, I'd rather JUST have their characters and their settings and their culture. That's why Shalom Sesame is so interesting. Not because Grover sounds funny in Hebrew.

The thing that disappoints me about this new version's Hanukkah special is all the reused footage from Elmo's World Happy Holidays. I wish they did more with their characters or explored somewhere in Israel instead of seeing stuff I already saw.

Above all, this appeals to a younger demographic than the 1980's series. That was meant for much older kids, about 7-9. This new series was meant for a more preschool audience. Though I do like how they use those old Count organ segments from season 33. Unlike dubbed songs, the numbers are much clearer so you actually know what they're saying.