Sharing the Joy of Labyrinth with Others

MarieIsabella

Reaction score
Hi:smile:

This was a really cute evening, thought I would share it:smile:

I decided it was about time to have my nieces and nephew see Labyrinth. I thought around 5 years old was a good age. So I made a movie night and brought of the illustrated book to read to them first. They liked the book and I got them interested in the characters. Then onto the movie.

I had to sit with my one niece most of the movie, she gets easily scared, She didn't like one of the add on goblins but when the fierys' took off their heads, she was fine!

They all tried to sit with me at one point, pushing each other over! But we got through the movie somehow.

Afterward, my nephew said " I want to watch it again!" and my niece went around saying she wanted the goblins to take my sister away. It was so cute!

I was concerned about my other niece however, She sat with my sister for five minutes and when she came back to sit with me she was scared. I later on found out she scared her by saying "boo" at one of the scenes.

I felt so bad she was scared of the movie, after I sat with her throughout making sure she wasn't.

My nephew kept my copy and watched it 10 more times after that. Then I went over my nieces a week later, and casually brought up the movie. Now keep in mine, a while back I was telling her about puppets I had and everyday since that 20 minute conversation she says" I want to come over your house to see your puppets" So I told her there were puppets in this movie. She wanted to watch it again! I had to go to work so I couldn't watch it with her, but two weeks after that I came over and my brother asked her what he favorite movie was, and she said " The one with the puppets" she watched it everyday, and she actually quoted the entire scene with Sarah and the worm!

I don't think my other niece is going to get the chance to borrow Labyrinth now. It safe to just get her, her own copy.

It's so nice to share my favorite movies with the ones I love. I think The Dark Crystal will have to wait a bit on though. I showed her a picture of a skeksis, and she didn't like it.

But I am going to show them Tale of the Bunny Picnic for Easter:smile:

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
Thats a great story and speaks volumes about Jims work and his ability to span across generations.

Good idea to hold off on The Dark Crystal... I had a sleep over with my cousin who is 2 years younger than me back in the day and we watched DC... he had to go home in the middle of the night the nightmares were so bad. That was over 20 years ago, and to this day, he still wont go anywhere near the movie.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Keep us updated on Bunny Picnic. I always love stories of Muppets/Henson being introduced to new fans - children or adults.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Very cool. Labyrinth was one of the two movies that rekindled my love for the Muppets a year or two ago. :smile:

MarieIsabella

Reaction score
I will keep you up to date, thanks for reading my post, I didn't really know if anyone would!

I agree I think I'll wait till they are around 10 years old to watch that, but that is a long time to wait:smile:

I have such fond memories when I watched these as a child, its nice to be on the other end and see the joy in there eyes:smile:

Kiki

Reaction score
What a lovely story. :smile: It's great to hear about people of generations appreciating the work of Henson. Thank you so much for sharing, it made me smile. :3 :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I agree I think I'll wait till they are around 10 years old to watch that, but that is a long time to wait
I think I was around 10 when I saw The Dark Crystal. Freaked. Me. Out! :scary: Those Skeksis can do some damage to a kid. :stick_out_tongue: I suppose that's why they put the movie in the children's/family section at the library. :rolleyes: