Short Documentary I Made on Puppetry in Film

haakonsmary

Reaction score
Puppetry in Film: An Aesthetic Choice

Hi, all!

For my Film History research project, my group chose the topic "Puppetry in Film". We decided to make a short film for our project, and who better to host the film than a puppet narrator?

So this is my first time puppeteering on film. I had attended the Steve Whitmire workshop at the Center For Puppetry Arts two years ago where he taught us how to lip sync puppets to music on camera. If it wasn't for that one lesson with Steve, which inspired me to continue practice video puppetry lip syncing, I wouldn't have even attempted making this film.

Puppetry in Film: An Aesthetic Choice covers the past 30 years in both U.S. and international puppet films. We couldn't feature every puppet film, of course, but we covered over a dozen, including a few by the Jim Henson Company (ever see the 1980s British film Dreamchild that they did animatronics for?). There are short clips from the films, as well as some director interviews, or quotes from directors when footage of them couldn't be found.

My film's thesis statement is: Over the past 30 years, the use of puppetry in film instead of live actors or digital effects is an aesthetic choice use to convey artistic meaning, to bring an artist's drawings to life, or to promote realism and heighten tension.

Hope you enjoy, and please let me know what you think. We covered some very diverse forms of puppetry on film, including traditional puppets, animatronics, marionettes, toy theater puppets, and stop-motion animation.