Should Fraggle Rock be revived?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The whole thing about Fraggle Rock coming back to HBO is generating a lot more buzz then I expected. Considering the show has been rerun on the Hub and TNT without much excitement from the public, I didn't think people would've cared so much. Some people think that maybe HBO is testing the waters to see if they can revive the show, personally I wouldn't object to this. It's no secret that the JHC has been having a lot of trouble getting non CGI preschool projects made. But maybe if they partnered with HBO, they could finally get some long needed support they've needed for a long time. It's no secret Sesame Street probably would've been off the air now had it not been for HBO's financial support. And with the channel recently trying to expand it's kids' show lineup, this whole thing makes a lot of sense from a business stand point.

From a fan stand point, i'd argue there's still a lot of stories that could be told with the fraggles as well as the doozers and several other species from the show. And who knows what other kinds of species their are living in Fraggle Rock. Maybe the show could even be about a whole new group of characters all together. The story possibilities are endless!!

So what do you guys think?

gravy

Reaction score
What I heard was that it was just coming back as reruns in HD.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
What I heard was that it was just coming back as reruns in HD.
Yes, they are only showing reruns, but what I was saying in my original post was, maybe HBO is testing to see how well the reruns do or they're trying to bring the show back into the public view so that they can revive it. It's pretty unlikely, but it would still be a great opportunity to revive it.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
If only! I think with all the hate and bulling and things going on that we need more shows like Fraggle Rock!

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I honestly think Fraggle Rock could be revived but, at least get Karen Prell to do Red still.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I honestly think Fraggle Rock could be revived but, at least get Karen Prell to do Red still.
Yeah, that's another thing: Karen, Steve, Dave and Kathy are all still puppeteering, so I think they should use them while they still can.

Quazimoto

Reaction score
I want to preface this by saying that Fraggle Rock is and always will be my all time favorite TV show. I still watch the entire series at least once a year.

That said. No. Fraggle Rock should not be re-made, re-launched, or re-booted. So very rarely do you find a TV shows that's near perfect as it is. Fraggle Rock is one of those and nothing should ever be done to tarnish it's legacy (that includes a movie, which IMO should never be made).

I do think it's an absolutely fabulous idea to remaster the original series and bring it back to HBO so a whole new generation of children (and adults) can experience it. It'd be kinda cool to produce some new segments with the different Fraggle characters introducing each episode and maybe some closing thoughts when it's over to offer a slightly fresh viewing experience. And if the series proves popular with modern audiences, a web series of shorter videos could work well (something like Uncle Traveling Matt's New Adventures In Outer Space), but the series itself is stellar as it is and there's simply no need for new episodes.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
I agree I have always loved fraggle rock as it has been funny and charming at the same time
And it should not be remade
But I still want the movie

I want to preface this by saying that Fraggle Rock is and always will be my all time favorite TV show. I still watch the entire series at least once a year.

That said. No. Fraggle Rock should not be re-made, re-launched, or re-booted. So very rarely do you find a TV shows that's near perfect as it is. Fraggle Rock is one of those and nothing should ever be done to tarnish it's legacy (that includes a movie, which IMO should never be made).

I do think it's an absolutely fabulous idea to remaster the original series and bring it back to HBO so a whole new generation of children (and adults) can experience it. It'd be kinda cool to produce some new segments with the different Fraggle characters introducing each episode and maybe some closing thoughts when it's over to offer a slightly fresh viewing experience. And if the series proves popular with modern audiences, a web series of shorter videos could work well (something like Uncle Traveling Matt's New Adventures In Outer Space), but the series itself is stellar as it is and there's simply no need for new episodes.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score

Ditto here. I feel the same way about Fraggle Rock as I do The Muppet Show: It does not need to be re-made. It should not be re-made.

The wonderful thing about Fraggle Rock is that the lessons it teaches are both universal and timeless, so they still very much apply to the issues children face today. Heck, they even did that episode about addiction and peer pressure.

The strongest thing going against a remake is the cast. Karen Prell would probably come back and Joh Tartaglia has stepped in, but Kathy Mullen has moved on and Dave seems to have no interest in it. Richard's gone, but I suppose David Rudman could give it a go. There would be a difficult challenge to find someone as good as Gerry Parkes and Steve had to give up his one character on Sesame Street due to Kermit, so who says he would have the time for Wembley and Sprocket?

As for the crew, I think it would end up being in the same vein as Muppets 2015. Decent writers with their hearts in the right place, but not quite hitting that Jerry Juhl standard and feel. Who knows if Michael Frith would jump back on board without the original team?

I don't know. There are just some things I feel would be completely unnecessary if they were done.