Should Jerry Juhl return to write?

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
MWoO said:
We're down perfoemrs still and there is certainly room for more perfoemrs to take over the huge cast of existing characters we have. Let the new guy who did Scooter keep the character and bring him into the fore ground more.
According to IMDb, the name of the "new guy" is Rickey Boyd.

-Kim

Movies205

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
As a director, I couldn't agree with you more. Brian needs to step in and bring his skills back. Not one truly great Muppet film has been made post-MTI, and that was Brian's last film. (In my opinion, as well, no truly great Muppet film- with the POSSIBLE exception of GMC- was made BEFORE Brian started directing either.)

As a writer, I couldn't DISAGREE with you more. Of the writers left, Kirk is the one who truly understands the Muppets best, as the only one who directly worked with Jerry. He should write the next film and Brian should direct.

And to the person
I don't know even as a writer... This is my problem with the new muppet productions and especially the muppet wizard of oz. The reason that the muppets were so great were for quite a few reasons but one was the strong sense of characters and uniqueness each one brought to the table. Kermit the insecure leader, Fozzie the man without talent but keeps on trucking anyway, Gonzo the outsider, etc the strong sense of character all clash with one of each other from time to time causing some very hilarious moments and cause for great suspense and make you care for each character as they embark on there various adventures. Now a muppet wizard of oz had none of this it was just stupid with a bunch of crappy jokes. Now flash forward like 30 years and the characters have yet to evolve, I know it's hard to accept but it's time for change in all these characters if we want to see better movies. Which is one reason I thought a very muppet christmas was pretty good(I had qualms) like I didn't like the whole kermit kissing miss piggy at the end but finally it was a change of some sort, these characters need to move forward for better or worse, and it's very scary to do this since we been seeing the same thign for 30 years. Now there are a host of other problems but this is a big one.

who said that Steve and Dave can't do Statler and Waldorf perfectly: You're right. Steve does not sound like Jerry or Richard, and Dave does not sound like Jim. I think Bill did Statler in that web deal, but I don't know who did Waldorf. Bill would be a good choice to do Statler. A good choice for Waldorf might be John Henson, the man inside (and the voice of) Sweetums
I think the problem is these characters need to change with the new performers you can't get performers who sound like the originals, these new performers need to make the characters there own if there going be any good again for better or worse so the newer generation get something original and if we want we can just rewatch the old muppet movies and the old muppet show soon on dvd.

That Announcer

Reaction score
Movies205 said:
I don't know even as a writer... This is my problem with the new muppet productions and especially the muppet wizard of oz. The reason that the muppets were so great were for quite a few reasons but one was the strong sense of characters and uniqueness each one brought to the table. Kermit the insecure leader, Fozzie the man without talent but keeps on trucking anyway, Gonzo the outsider, etc the strong sense of character all clash with one of each other from time to time causing some very hilarious moments and cause for great suspense and make you care for each character as they embark on there various adventures. Now a muppet wizard of oz had none of this it was just stupid with a bunch of crappy jokes. Now flash forward like 30 years and the characters have yet to evolve, I know it's hard to accept but it's time for change in all these characters if we want to see better movies. Which is one reason I thought a very muppet christmas was pretty good(I had qualms) like I didn't like the whole kermit kissing miss piggy at the end but finally it was a change of some sort, these characters need to move forward for better or worse, and it's very scary to do this since we been seeing the same thign for 30 years. Now there are a host of other problems but this is a big one.
Kirk did not write MWoO!

MWoO

Reaction score
What did he write? AVMMC? If so he's not bad. Drop the NBC references and you have the makings of a classic movie.

That Announcer

Reaction score
Kirk has written three things:

1) Dinosaurs.
2) MTI.
3) MT!

That's it.

MWoO

Reaction score
In that case he's really good! Let the man write!

That Announcer

Reaction score
I do not understand why everybody rags on Kirk for MWoO, as he did not write it. He had nothing to do with MFS. He did Elmo in Grouchland, working as an extra puppeteer. Look through Kirk's resume- you'll find very few bad things, if any at all. I say we elevate Kirk to a higher position. But let Brian direct. For god's sake, let Brian direct!

MWoO

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think Kirk is a very good director. I would like to see him work on a muppet movie though, not a tv movie. I want to see what he can do with a movie that takes place in the real world. Any prodction that takes place in a studio will just look like it was made in a studio.

That Announcer

Reaction score
Kirk is a lackluster director. He can't seem to squeeze comedy whereever it's available, like BRIAN (hint hint) could. If we were to get BRIAN (hint hint) back as a director, we might have a great, hilarious, classic, theatrical Muppet movie. I suggest a demonstration right outside the Disney offices.

"WE WANT BRI-AN!"
"WE WANT BRI-AN!"
"WE WANT BRI-AN!"

Movies205

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
Kirk did not write MWoO!
WAs he not the director, part of a director's job is changing the script if need be. So he did direct MWoO so I still hold him responsible for trhese problems.