should jerry Nelson have some understudies?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Since jerry nelson is semi-retired from performing, do you think that his characters should have some occassional replacements, like how matt Vogel is occassionally performing Big Bird?

The Count is probably the most obvious choice to have another performer be trained to perform. Herry Monster, The Amazing Mumford, and Fat Blue should also be recast on occassion. I think that martin robinson could easily perform Herry and Fat Blue (the voices might be wrong, but he could have the right attitude), although some people think that joey mazzrino could do herrys voice. Matt Vogel could also try to perform them. He doesn't really have very many chracters besides Big Bird.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think he already has some...at least on Sesame Street. I read somewhere that he only performs The Count anymore, and other folks perform his characters.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I think he already has some...at least on Sesame Street. I read somewhere that he only performs The Count anymore, and other folks perform his characters.
I thought that I have read that he is still performing most of his characters. I have read that he has performed Fat Blue in one new segment this season (i'm not sure if that has aired yet). Fred The Wonder Horse recently appeared in a new Global Grover skit. Did jerry perform fred in that skit? The Amazing Mumford will appear in the 2-part season finale. I guess we'll have to wait untill then to see if jerry nelson will perform mumford (unless Mumford gets a replacement who can do his voice so well that we won't even notice a difference, and even if there is a difference in voice, we may not be able to know for sure that it isn't jerry, as some of his characters voices have sounded slightly different lately. Just watch IVMMCM or muppet party cruise and listen to his characters voices).

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I thought that I have read that he is still performing most of his characters. I have read that he has performed Fat Blue in one new segment this season (i'm not sure if that has aired yet). Fred The Wonder Horse recently appeared in a new Global Grover skit. Did jerry perform fred in that skit? The Amazing Mumford will appear in the 2-part season finale. I guess we'll have to wait untill then to see if jerry nelson will perform mumford (unless Mumford gets a replacement who can do his voice so well that we won't even notice a difference, and even if there is a difference in voice, we may not be able to know for sure that it isn't jerry, as some of his characters voices have sounded slightly different lately. Just watch IVMMCM or muppet party cruise and listen to his characters voices).

There is a special 2 part season 36 finale? Do we know what it is?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
There is a special 2 part season 36 finale? Do we know what it is?
the 2-part episode involves Mumford accidently shrinking Big Bird, and Big Bird has to find a way to get big again.

In the season 36 thread, Secret Squirrel said that Caroll Spinney performed Big Bird when he was big, and Matt Vogel performed Big Bird when he was small.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
WOOO! Sounds cool. Wonder if they'll use a small Big Bird puppet, or just do blue-screen imaging?

BEAR

Reaction score
When is this set to air?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think that the last two episodes will air sometime in December, months after the rest of the season has been broadcast.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Hmmm. I think Fred was voiced by Jerry Nelson. That did sound like his voice.

I think you're right though. Somebody has mentioned that Jerry will still perform all his characters (except the Two-Headed Monster). He's not doing the wolf this season though, so I'm not sure. Hopefully, he'll still voice Mumford.

I have to admit, it will be hard to find a replacement for his characters. His voice is pretty distinct. I wonder if anybody else will be able to do a good Count Von Count voice.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
A few of his characters have been played by a few performers, but not much. David Rudman did a very brief cameo of him in the "all singing" episode where Rosita and Elmo have a play date (At the very end of the street story).

And on "A Magical Halloween Adventure", Matt Vogel (or John Tartaglia) puppeteered Mumford, and did the voice when he was on the phone.

Fat Blue also had a line voiced by David Rudman in the "Grouchland" movie.