Should Sesame Street continue after season 40?

Should it end?

• Yes, it's run its course.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • No way! We need it!

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
Well as we all know, this August Sesame Street will be airing its 38th Season. That means in just 2 more years the 40th Season will be here. Do you think they should make the 40th Season Sesame Street's very last season? I think it would be a good way to end the show, to have a Final episode and 40 year special combined into a 2 hour show. That way the human cast members and muppeteers can move on to other things, and on the plus side we'll have 40 solid years of Sesame Street to remember. Now I know a lot of you might disagree with this, but a lot of the human cast members are in their 60's and 70's now, and the same is true of some of the muppeteers. I don't mean to be negative but their not gonna be around forever, and I really don't wanna see what the show would be like in the future, with all the charachters having new performers and a whole new cast of humans. It's probably best that it ends at its 40 year mark. I love Sesame Street with a passion and always will, but all good things must come to an end. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Rubber Duckie

Reaction score
First of all, yes, Sesame Street should end after it's 40th season is completed. I say this because I am sick of the whole show being revolved around Elmo. However, I think the final episode should be a regular episode and then reruns of episodes from 2003 to the end of Season 40 should be played continously. Kind of similar to how reruns of Mister Rogers are continuing to air, even though no new episodes are being produced for that show. This way, a new generation of tots can still watch even if no new shows are produced by the time that new generation comes around.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's such a hard thing. I doubt anyone wants to be responsible for ending such a long running and legendary show. I understand that. It's just that I do think it's jumped the shark a long time ago.

That's a good point about how Mr. Rogers continued for years.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Let me ask you all a question.

Why should it be axed just because all of you old school SS folks don't like it?

This is an educational series for young pre-school children not for those who are past the target age and if there's an audience for it which I'm sure there is then why should they be deprived of it just because of your selfishness?. How silly can you get?

If it bugs you so much then don't watch it!

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
I think even for kids it's not a good show anymore. A lot of kids don't even watch SS anymore, even when theyr'e at the age for it. Now that most of us have over 100 channells to choose from, and there's so many other preschool programs that are more popular than SS, 2 years from now would be the best time for the show to come to and end, so things can just move on.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Lots of kids still what the show and it is still more popular then it's ever been. Sure, it's not for everybody. It's still in the top ten childrens show's after all this time. It just got five daytime emmy nods after like 113 wins.

But I don't wan't anybody to end the show. But I understand if it had to because all good things have to come to an end somtime. I just hope that everyone and that the Sesame Workshop can all hold on as long as they can. I deffently think there will have to be some kin of spin off shows, though.

BEAR

Reaction score
LincolnHeights said:
I think even for kids it's not a good show anymore. A lot of kids don't even watch SS anymore, even when theyr'e at the age for it. Now that most of us have over 100 channells to choose from, and there's so many other preschool programs that are more popular than SS, 2 years from now would be the best time for the show to come to and end, so things can just move on.

I logged into MC today after hearing about an article saying that SS may end soon and then I saw this thread. First of all, LincolnHeights, your language choice is unnecessary and highly inappropriate, especially on MC and ESPECIALLY in a Sesame Street thread. Secondly, I would be sad to see Sesame Street end, but I just hope that the series goes on for as long as it can and still successfully bring joy to children of all ages!

Okay...onto leaving a postcard and getting back on my tour.

P.S. I miss you all.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's obviously a very touchy subject. We all have the right to voice our opinions, on both sides of the debate. And I hope we can try to respect each other. It's really very depressing when these thread gets so nasty all the time just because we disagree. :smile:

I don't want to see SS cancelled. I know the most important thing is the kids. However, I don't think it's as useful to children as it once was. It's not just because I miss the version of my childhood.

On the other hand, if SS were cancelled, it might start to go out of the public consciousness, and then even the Classic DVDs might stop selling. And I definitely want my kids to see those. So for that reason, it might be good for the show to stay.