1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Should Walter be a main character in place of Rowlf and Scooter?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by BlakeConor14, Mar 4, 2015.

?

should Walter be a major muppet

Poll closed Mar 11, 2015.
  1. yes

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. no

23 vote(s)
    95.8%

1. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

EI think Disney should have bought the muppets in 1990 because it would have been better for there future and in 2004 they probably didn't want them:)

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The problem is context and usage. Whoopie Cushion shoes are essentially Fozzie. Heck, Fozzie's main prop is a Rubber chicken to the point it came with the action figure. Whoopie Cushions, joy buzzers, rubber chickens are all associated with him and his low brow attempts to get a laugh. Farting is essentially what Whoopie Cushions do. Just the word fart, especially when overused by terrible kids movies to get a cheap laughs was the thing to set some fans off. But by no means was it used in that vulgar a context in this film. Meanwhile, I've seen Disney shove random farts into movie trailers for films that came out before that sort of thing was allowed, like in the original animated 101 Dalmatians DVD ad.

Meanwhile, Piggy's peepee line was unmotivated, as was Fozzie's completely out of character nose picking. Sure, him going to the bathroom and washing his hands was a plot point, but a very minor one, and his nose picking lead to better assorted gags (that could have been more tastefully executed). There's a wealth of cheap jokes in MFS that feel awkwardly placed. Especially Kermit's "Get down with your bad selves" line. Also waaaaaay out of character.

Duke Remington likes this.
  3. BlakeConor14

The writers don't know the muppets or us fans

heralde likes this.
  4. Ladywarrior

Ladywarrior Well-Known Member

that scene where they're hocking the bathroom in muppet caper is funny. and WHEN does miss piggy ay she has to pee. i don't remember the line.

5. BlakeConor14

Ladywarrior when they are going to rescue gonzo in mfs

6. Ladywarrior

ok. it's just been awhile since i've seen the film.

7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

Just

:rolleyes:

Duke Remington, Beakerfan and Gonzo14 like this.
  8. BlakeConor14

90s and 200s muppets stuff should have been called the pepe and rizzo show because that is how much they were used

9. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Well-Known Member

That's an exaggeration. Rizzo and Pepe were used quite a bit, but so were Kermit, Gonzo, Clifford, Bunsen, Beaker, Statler and Waldorf, Bobo, Johnny and Sal, and to a lesser extent even Frank's Characters (Piggy, Fozzie, Animal, Sam). I personally really like Rizzo and Pepe, and I don't think that the use of these characters is a bad thing.

Duke Remington and Beakerfan like this.
  10. Ladywarrior

i personally despise pepe. yes he does have a few good moments but i always found him rather annoying. rizzo i can stand. he's snarky and funny.

11. BlakeConor14

Mooz pepe was used the most in that at least use rowlf as toto

12. Gonzo14

Rowlf as Toto wouldn't work as well. Just because it's a dog character, doesn't automatically mean Rowlf is the best choice. If any dog were to be used there, I think Foo Foo could've been used.

13. BlakeConor14

Gonzo14 but some muppets fans may not know fo fo and whoever did play toto had to speak

14. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I honestly think we need to have some sort of class or something about the history of the Muppets and there personality's and how things have changed from the Muppet Show days to the present and future projects. Because the mindset of everything the Muppets did after 1990 is crap is starting to really get old. Jim is gone, and Disney owns the Muppets now some of us need to accept that and move on!

15. BlakeConor14

1. Muppets from space is there only flop and that's what im saying and I don't think mfs and the muppets 2011 wouldn't be needed if Disney had bought the muppets in 1990

16. dwayne1115

Well if your talking about the 1990 deal with Disney, I think your right. I also think that not only the Muppets, but Fraggle Rock, and the Muppet Babies would be more established then they are now.

17. Gonzo14

Dwayne I agree, that'd be cool. As I look at it, I just see various "Eras" in Muppet History, such as "Early Years" "Prime Time" "Post Henson" "Re-Emerging" (just based on my opinion). If you look at it, you can track it with certain characters gaining and/or losing popularity or prominence through the years. It's actually quite fascinating to look at the franchise as a whole and see how it's evolved and changed over 60+ years!

I was even talking to a co-worker about this and said that if I were to teach a Muppet class, I would have an essay question about identifying the factors that led to the major character shake-up in the 90s (Jim and Richard's deaths, and Frank's noticeably reduced presence)

I think it's one thing to have certain shows/movies/etc that we like better than others, but as a whole, I think ALL Muppet media is worth watching. For example, I would rather watch The Muppet Show instead of Muppets Tonight, but I think both shows are good and both are worth watching. As long as the Muppets are around, I'll be watching!

18. BlakeConor14

1. Yeah the 1900 deal that never negotiated until 2004 I reckon we'd have had a fraggle movie if Disney had them

19. dwayne1115

I could not agree with you more! the fact that not only Jim but Richard passed away around the same time was nearly devastating to the Muppets, but through the leadership of Brian Henson they where able to pick themselves up and carry on and do some really great things. Sure Brian has made some mistakes, but Jim made a few in his time as well.

Duke Remington and Gonzo14 like this.
  20. BlakeConor14

Brian should direct and puppeteer whatever the muppets do next

FletchySRF3088 and dwayne1115 like this.