1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Should we have the Muppet Central Awards this year?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by dwayne1115, Feb 6, 2012.

?

Should we have the Muppet Central Awards this year?

1. Yes

73.5%
  2. No

26.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Hi there everyone! Wow what a year we have had.... I was checking the old calendar on the wall and realized that we are coming up to that wonderful time of the year where we honer our members by doing what is known as "The Muppet Central Awards"!
    Now we have had a lot of changes to the Forum and things since last year, and we have had a lot of new members come, and we have had some faithful members leave. So I'm wondering should we do an award show/ceremony again this year? If we really would like to have one, then I will need your help. I'm going to need people to help count and make sure the awards are going smoothly (Maybe one or two more people). Then we will revile the categories for people to vote on. If everything works out I would like to have the ceremony on or near April 1st. So if anyone is interested ether e mail me or pm me and we will keep everyone posted on what is happening

My e mail is dwayne1115@gmail.com
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

3. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Assuming that it would not cause a conflict of interest with regard to eligibility, I'd like to help out.

Yes.
  4. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Last year there were so many issues, I say no. If you really want to do one, then I say there be less categories to vote in. I tihnk the massive amount of categories scared a lot of people away from voting
  5. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

I've been here for eight years and never gotten nominated, so I say no.
  6. Sgt Floyd

You know, I was thinking.What if there was a different way of voting?

First of all, a person can only win one award.

Now, I say that each category is revealed one by one, and votes for members are sent in. We skip nomination completely and base who wins the award on how many times that person was voted for. After the winner is decided, move on to the next category. That way, you dont know if you were nominated or not, and it makes people feel better than knowing that the same 5 people were nominated again and again and again.

So for example, say the first category is Nicest Member. People send in who they think is the nicest member. So say *picks name from thread at random* Slackbot had the most votes. She wins and can no longer be an option to vote for in the next category.

Alternatively, reveal all the categories at once, but only vote for one at a time, with the same rules applied. This way, it FORCES members to vote for other people instead of just saying "Well, I'll just vote D Snowth for everything"
    miss kermie and newsmanfan like this.
  7. D'Snowth

Uhh... hmm... :o

My problem is that, yes, you do have to admit, the awards has been a tradition here at MC since what... 2006? Maybe a little earlier? However, over the years, as the community has slowly grown, so has tension: MC is a large community, and there are a number of people, who either aren't as active as others, or aren't as well-known as others, so there's always a percentage of people around here who have their feelings hurt; it seems to me that at least with the previous couple of awards or so, there's been some ill-feelings, and some crying out that they feel nobody likes them, or they're not popular around here, etc.

In that same amount of time too, the awards, to me, seem to have lost their whole spirit of fun... the awards were always done in the spirit of fun and recognition, but recentl, it seems some have begun taking it a little too seriously, last year seemed to be the worst for that.

Like Lucy Van Pelt once said, "Isn't it peculiarhow some traditions slowly fade away?" I think perhaps the MC Awards should be one of those traditions: as a community, we've evolved a lot over the years, and I don't believe there's ever going to be that same feeling there once was when it comes to the awards... I think gone are the days where everybody knew the awards were just done in the spirit of fun, I think hard as we try to keep it civil, there's going to be a few people taking it too seriously, a few people who have their feelings hurt, some disagreements, arguements, etc.

I DO commend those over the years who have done their best to keep the awards that fun annual event it's been, such as Prawnie for always trying so hard to bring the community together, and certainly the artistic genius of Davo for always designing out-of-this-world awards every year.
    miss kermie likes this.
  8. Sgt Floyd

I do agree with you there. Last year was just one big disaster. I'd rather not have it, but I was just making a suggestion for those who do want it as a way for things to be a bit more fair. Will it be in practice? eh...
  9. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

I don't like any sort of competition, but I love tradition, so I have no idea what should be done.
  10. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

This is my first year here, so what kinds of things were done before when it came to awards?
  11. dwayne1115

Well I have always felt that MC has so many people who have so much talent that they need to be recognized. If we really wanted to do something we could just use the time to let our creativity and love of Muppets really shine make it almost like a talent show instead of awards.
    Muppet fan 123 and panmanthe2nd like this.
  12. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

That sounds great!
  13. D'Snowth

That's something that could possibly work very well, if it's done right... I know we've actually attempted to have an MC Talent Show at least a couple of times, however, neigther of them were handled very well, so they turned out to be busts (I can attest to that, as the first one we tried to have, my contribution turned up missing).
  14. Bannanasketch

Bannanasketch Active Member

I have a suggestion. I think that instead of doing Muppet Central forum awards, we should do our own Muppets themed awards. Categories could include "Best Movie", "Best Song", "Best Special", and so on. Anyone else like this idea?
  15. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Way back in the days of active ReBoot fandom I ran the URA 2001 (Unofficial Reboot Awards for 2001). 2000 had been the first one, and people loved it so much that when the original (anonymous) committee said they weren't going to do it again due to shifts in interest, I took it up. For the next 7 or 8 years various committees ran it, each putting their own spin on it.

It was not centered on one site, so there were awards for websites that contributed to the fandom - best design, best content, most original - and awards for fan fiction and fan art. We held nominations and then had a voting round, same as here, but when it came time to present the awards we had guest presenters, most of whom were stars in the fandom, do their presentations each in their own styles. (Some were even comics!)

I handled things very differently from how they've been done here in the past...but it sounds as if maybe some new ideas are needed to drum up interest rather than having another year of same-old, same-old. And, let me tell you, the URAs did drum up interest. Maybe there are some ideas there that could prove useful here.
  16. dwayne1115

most definitely I would love to have all the Muppet websites /fandom work more together. Seems like there before the Muppetcast ended things started to split up, and I have always felt like we should work more together.
    In a lot of ways MC was the only fan site that was strong because of it's forum, but times have changed and now with the other sites out there MC sometimes gets forgotten, and to me that is sad because we really are a family here.
    MC has been around for 14 years and we should not only celebrate the members but the forum and the site as well. We have some great ideas, and I think if we combine them we could really have something different here, that could be better then ever.
  17. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I enjoyed making awards. However, I like the idea of the talent show.
    LinkiePie<3 likes this.
  18. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

I really liked the awards last year. I would be all for it again.

I remember at one point last year we had talked about seeing if anyone in the puppeteering area wanted to make videos of giving the awrds. I didn't know if anyone still liked that ide.a I just thought I'd mention it while we're throwing ideas around.
  19. dwayne1115

the votes are dead even I still do not know what to do?
  20. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

What kinds of things would we do in a talent show?