Should we have the Muppet Central Awards this year?

Should we have the Muppet Central Awards this year?

• Total voters

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Hi there everyone! Wow what a year we have had.... I was checking the old calendar on the wall and realized that we are coming up to that wonderful time of the year where we honer our members by doing what is known as "The Muppet Central Awards"!
Now we have had a lot of changes to the Forum and things since last year, and we have had a lot of new members come, and we have had some faithful members leave. So I'm wondering should we do an award show/ceremony again this year? If we really would like to have one, then I will need your help. I'm going to need people to help count and make sure the awards are going smoothly (Maybe one or two more people). Then we will revile the categories for people to vote on. If everything works out I would like to have the ceremony on or near April 1st. So if anyone is interested ether e mail me or pm me and we will keep everyone posted on what is happening

My e mail is dwayne1115@gmail.com

Slackbot

Reaction score
Assuming that it would not cause a conflict of interest with regard to eligibility, I'd like to help out.

Yes.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Last year there were so many issues, I say no. If you really want to do one, then I say there be less categories to vote in. I tihnk the massive amount of categories scared a lot of people away from voting

Princeton

Reaction score
I've been here for eight years and never gotten nominated, so I say no.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know, I was thinking.What if there was a different way of voting?

First of all, a person can only win one award.

Now, I say that each category is revealed one by one, and votes for members are sent in. We skip nomination completely and base who wins the award on how many times that person was voted for. After the winner is decided, move on to the next category. That way, you dont know if you were nominated or not, and it makes people feel better than knowing that the same 5 people were nominated again and again and again.

So for example, say the first category is Nicest Member. People send in who they think is the nicest member. So say *picks name from thread at random* Slackbot had the most votes. She wins and can no longer be an option to vote for in the next category.

Alternatively, reveal all the categories at once, but only vote for one at a time, with the same rules applied. This way, it FORCES members to vote for other people instead of just saying "Well, I'll just vote D Snowth for everything"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This way, it FORCES members to vote for other people instead of just saying "Well, I'll just vote D Snowth for everything"
Uhh... hmm... :embarrassed:

My problem is that, yes, you do have to admit, the awards has been a tradition here at MC since what... 2006? Maybe a little earlier? However, over the years, as the community has slowly grown, so has tension: MC is a large community, and there are a number of people, who either aren't as active as others, or aren't as well-known as others, so there's always a percentage of people around here who have their feelings hurt; it seems to me that at least with the previous couple of awards or so, there's been some ill-feelings, and some crying out that they feel nobody likes them, or they're not popular around here, etc.

In that same amount of time too, the awards, to me, seem to have lost their whole spirit of fun... the awards were always done in the spirit of fun and recognition, but recentl, it seems some have begun taking it a little too seriously, last year seemed to be the worst for that.

Like Lucy Van Pelt once said, "Isn't it peculiarhow some traditions slowly fade away?" I think perhaps the MC Awards should be one of those traditions: as a community, we've evolved a lot over the years, and I don't believe there's ever going to be that same feeling there once was when it comes to the awards... I think gone are the days where everybody knew the awards were just done in the spirit of fun, I think hard as we try to keep it civil, there's going to be a few people taking it too seriously, a few people who have their feelings hurt, some disagreements, arguements, etc.

I DO commend those over the years who have done their best to keep the awards that fun annual event it's been, such as Prawnie for always trying so hard to bring the community together, and certainly the artistic genius of Davo for always designing out-of-this-world awards every year.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I do agree with you there. Last year was just one big disaster. I'd rather not have it, but I was just making a suggestion for those who do want it as a way for things to be a bit more fair. Will it be in practice? eh...

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
I don't like any sort of competition, but I love tradition, so I have no idea what should be done.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
This is my first year here, so what kinds of things were done before when it came to awards?