1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Sid's voice

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by dwmckim, Oct 24, 2009.

1. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I can't believe i never noticed this til now (over a year since the show debuted!)

I've always been a huge Calvin & Hobbes fan. I used to love to read the comic anthologies to my nephews doing different voices for the characters (at one point i thought i may want to someday go into cartoon voices). It just recently hit me that Sid the Science Kid sounds pretty much exactly like i always imagined Calvin would sound like and how i voiced him!

It's actually kind of interesting how much they have in common - active imaginations, love of stuffed animals, has a particular toy he's rarely seen without. (Sid's affinity for his microphone with built in applause reminds me of the strips where Calvin goes around with a cardboard cutout frame of a tv set around his face putting on his own television shows or when he approaches his mother in the kitchen: "Bum de de dum dum - Hi Mom - WHAT"S COOKING? Bwa ha ha ha! (I decided my life would be much better with a music score and laugh track)"

None of the other characters sound like any of the other voices i always associated with the C&H world. I always did the father with a very stoic Frank Oz businessman type voice - Hobbes was also kind of Frank inspired...one of those gruff type voices - like one of his monsters with a bit more intelligece and refinement than usual) As for Susie Derkins, i can't think of any voice from a Muppet or cartoon character that comes close - i had a very unique voice for her (and she was always my favorite to "do") which went from sweet to hugely and loudly annoyed.
  2. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Whenever I tried to voice Calvin and Hobbes, Calvin always had a scratchy kids voice, while for some reason Hobbes was always a high-pitched New Yorker. Kind of like Mickey, but tough. Actually, nothing like Mickey, but that's about the closest voice I can describe.

Anyhoo, perhaps Drew Massey should voice Calvin in some future cartoon project? The D.A.V.E.G.O.E.L.Z. strikes again!
  3. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

I hope there's never a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon. It's not that it wouldn't be fun to see, but Bill Watterson has said that he doesn't want one done, and I really hope his wishes are taken into account.

I sort of imagine Calvin with a real child's voice. Like how Super Scooter described him with the scratchy voice. Sid just sounds too old to be Calvin. Though I guess the beauty of comics is that we can all come up with different voices for the characters in our imaginations as we read along.