1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Since when does WMG own Sesame Street?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by CBPuppets, Jul 14, 2018.

1. BuddyBoy600alt

BuddyBoy600alt Well-Known Member

Yup! And they can also crack down on short clips and that is why I gave up posting Sesame Street clips on Youtube since 2013.

2. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Twitch isn't for that kind of thing, bud. You're just as vulnerable to a copyright complaint on Twitch as you are on Youtube.

3. BuddyBoy600alt

Twitch is different than Youtube. Their policy is different. Same with Dailymotion and Vimeo. I remember a video sharing site based in Australia called MegaVideo. Unfortunately it got shutdown in 2012 by the FBI for Copyright Complaints. And the owner of the site was arrested for that. I remember it had Sesame Street clips on there as well. And I sure do miss that site.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  4. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Any site you upload copyrighted material to without their consent is still infringing their rights and puts you at risk. End of discussion.

Froggy Fool and gavry3 like this.
  5. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Twitch does not make anything any different. I know. @BuddyBoy600alt

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  6. Any Del

Any Del Well-Known Member

Has it happen to you?

7. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

I know people it's happened to.

8. BuddyBoy600alt

Well, It happened to me when Family Communications gave me a copyright strike for posting the Mister Rogers Neighborhood clip on how Player Piano Scrolls are made. And Youtube forced me to watch "Happy Tree Friends: Youtube Copyright Lawsuit School" and take trivia questions about the law of Copyright.

9. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Family Communications is known for that type of thing... Not only on Youtube but a lot of other platforms. Considering they also take down videos on Twitch, I don't think hiding there from SW would work any better.

10. BuddyBoy600alt

@gavry There is a TV Tropes category called "Screwed by the Lawyers". https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScrewedByTheLawyers

I know that Douglas Walker (The Nostalgia Critic) created the hashtag #WTFU, Which is short for "Where's the Fair Use"?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  11. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

You might as well stop uploading Sesame Street videos on Twitch.

12. BuddyBoy600alt

But why?!?

13. MikaelaMuppet

Because those videos could be taken down on there as well.

14. BuddyBoy600alt

I am not sure about Twitch. But yes, I am not allowed to post Sesame Street on Youtube because of Sesame Workshop. No doubt if I would post Sesame Street on Dailymotion. None of my Sesame Street videos on Dailymotion have been taken down. Another company I know of that I may not want to post anywhere is Viacom. After all, Viacom did sue Youtube in February 2007.

15. Cookie3001

Cookie3001 Well-Known Member

10 of my yt videos were taken down by them. I don't think WMG gives copyright strikes because if they did I would be terminated by now.

16. Cookie3001

Cookie3001 Well-Known Member

I made a video that had the songs "Fur" and "Dee dee dee". I didn't think anything would happen since those are both obscure songs.

17. MikaelaMuppet

I would still be careful though.

18. BuddyBoy600alt

Strange. I remember in 2009, We lost so many Youtube users because of WMG. I was mad when DisneysBonkers028 was terminated from Youtube because his 80s/90s Disney cartoon shows were claimed by WMG. The issue was the 80's/90's Disney theme songs were on this long out of print "ToonTunes" variety CD by Warner Bros., Records. And WMG does not even own the rights to Raw Toonage/Bonkers/Marsupilami. Raw Toonage/Bonkers/Marsupilami are owned by The Walt Disney Company. NOT Warner Bros.

19. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Honestly, if any of you guys really believe that any website doesn’t put you at risk of copyright claims, y’all got A LOT to learn about the internet. :shifty:

Any Del and gavry3 like this.
  20. MikaelaMuppet

Can we just move on from this already?