"Sing" song on Gimme A Break!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Hey,
I was just watching Gimme A Break! (you remember, that great 1980s sitcom starring Nell Carter and a young Joey Lawrence and Dolph Sweet!!! and others whose names I don't remember right now...)
Anyway, on the 2nd. part of the season 6 (1986-1987) premiere episode (also the last season of the show by the way), Nell Carter sings the Sesame Street song "Sing". Twice!!! It was very unexpected and very cool!!! (Nell does a great job on the song too, of course.)
Oh yeah, the episode's called "Joey Meets Matthew".
Anyway, just thought you guys might be interested.
:flirt:
:sing: Sing, sing a song, sing out loud, sing out strong!
Sing of good things, not bad. Sing of happy, not sad.
Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. Just sing, sing a song. La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la,la, la, la..... :smile:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
just in case you were wondering

by the way, you hear Nell singing the song in the background as she takes the boys (Joey and Matthew) through Central Park and then you hear it again at the end when Nell remembers all the good times she and Joey had together. (She's nostalgic at this point because Joey and his brother Matthew are going to New York to live with their Dad.) - having not seen Gimme A Break! since it went off the air in 1987, I don't remember all the details, but this episode I'm talking about ends on "To Be Continued" and unfortunately, I don't have the next part, so I'm not sure if Joey permanently stays with his dad or not.

But anyway, there's a little background for you on why you hear Nell Carter singing "Sing". Wow! Sorry to go on so much about Gimme A Break!, but after pulling out this tape I had and watching it again, I've just fallen in love with the show all over again. That and "The Facts of Life", since that was on the tape too! :smile:

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
Wow, I'll have to see if I have this episode. When it ran on the USA Network some years ago, I practically got every one. However, I seem to remember them skipping the ones about the dad, but I'll double check.

Dantecat

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper,Did You Record This Episode When It Was On Air Or Is It Still On Air? If The Show's Off Air,When Did It Go Off Air?

:confused:

dbarrie

Reaction score
Dude, the show ended in 1987! And Nell Carter died in early 2003! And Joey Lawrence isn't a kid anymore! (LOL) I used to watch the show sometimes but I don't recall that particular episode described.

OI MuppetFan

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
well

Unfortunately, Gimme A Break! has been off the air since 1987! It ran from 1981-1987. In fact, I hadn't even seen it since then until just a few years ago. From what I understand, USA network reran the show for a while in the 1990s. The only reason I was able to get these 2 episodes of the show is because I was on vacation at the beach and the local FOX affiliate station was airing Gimme A Break!, along with Perfect Strangers!!! So, naturally, having loved these shows as a child and having not seen them in ages, I taped whatever episodes I could for the few days I was there. The Facts of Life used to run on the Hallmark channel and that's where I got that from.
Anyway, I just hadn't actually pulled out this video tape and really watched the Gimme A Break! episodes I had on there for a while, so I gave it a view and discovered that particular gem that I've posted here, about Nell Carter singing "Sing". Anyway, good luck hunting it down. I'm pretty sure it doesn't air on cable anywhere, but there's a chance one of the networks might have acquired the rights to it. But none of the ones around where I live show it. :sympathy: But at least I have my tape. :smile:

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
The way they're releasing TV shows on DVD lately, it'll probably be released sometime in the near future, depending on who owns the rights to the show.

McFraggle

Reaction score
"Gimme A Break!" and "Perfect Strangers" were two great shows. :big_grin:

dbarrie

Reaction score
"Perfect Strangers" was a great show? Gimme a break! :wink:

OI MuppetFan

McFraggle said:
"Gimme A Break!" and "Perfect Strangers" were two great shows. :big_grin: