1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Slackbot draws stuff

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Fan Art' started by Slackbot, Nov 22, 2010.

1. muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

tutter_fan likes this.
  2. AlittleMayhem Well-Known Member

Very cool! :)
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  3. Slackbot Well-Known Member

Thanks much! I have to admit, despite the many flaws, I'm stinkin' proud of how he turned out. One thing that surprised me: though his schnoz doesn't match perfectly up to how I draw him, he now looks more like an intermediary between Wembley and Mokey than a copy of Wembley. I like that.

As for clothing, that's just a vanity thing. He thinks he looks cool in a denim jacket. Maybe, by Fraggle standards, he does. [IMG]

Wembley has two! Surely he can spare one for his kid until Old Navy comes through.

*chuckle* Thanks! But, heh, Janken's a guy. I know it can be hard to tell with Fraggles, as there isn't much physical difference between the sexes, and Jan's case can be especially confusing for those who don't know him. [IMG]
    GopherCoffee and The Count like this.
  4. Slackbot Well-Known Member

[IMG]

Today I got a package from Old Navy containing a toddler's denim jacket. Now Janken is no longer naked and nude with no clothes on. He seems quite pleased with his newfound decency.

This pic shown one of the things I still have to work on: his hair is not yet symmetrical. He needs more fluff on one side. I'm also not sure about the lavender strands. I may take them out.
  5. Tom Fraggle Active Member

Awesome! Janken looks great!

I'd love to make a Fraggle puppet myself, but short of cash at the moment to buy the supplies, so it'll have to wait.
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  6. muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Kim, this is fantasic! I love Janken! He is so silly, but I didn't know he explored Outer Space? :smirk: :excited:
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  7. Slackbot Well-Known Member

Janken's still not 100% finished, but he's getting very close. I've added more feathers around the face to even out the shape of his hair and frame his eyes, and I've made a second, rodless arm so I can swap his right arm out. I have them velcroed on, and I'm not happy with the velcro connection--I thought the fur would hide it, but that's not the case--so I'll be fixing that. And I'm going to tear his head off and cut the extra neck fabric before sewing it back on, because that fabric bunches up inside and makes putting him on and taking him off a bit fussy.

Tom Fraggle: In my opinion, budget is not the limiting factor when making a puppet like this. Time and patience are! It's taken me months to build him, making all sorts of trial-and-error mistakes along the way. The next puppet will be much faster because I now know some things that work and some that don't, but I have no doubt I'll make fresh errors and overcome those too.

muppetfan24/7: Yes, sort of. He hasn't explored so much as gotten trapped out here by a rockslide. He learned to live out here because he had no other choice. Now he has a way back to the Rock, and he does visit, but his home is now out here.
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  8. Ruahnna Well-Known Member

Wow, Kim--"motherhood" becomes you! (Or would that be "muppethood"? No, wait--I think that's the name of a SKIT!)

You did a lovely job with your Janken puppet. Very detailed and the color is very appealing. I've been told that Toddler 2 clothes are about perfect for most puppets, and around here, thrift stores are THE BEST place to get all sorts of great clothes. I'm on the prowl for puppet clothes for a group I know all the time.

Congratulations on a wonderfully detailed job!
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  9. Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Can you post a video of Janken in action (and in character)?
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  10. Slackbot Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ruahnna! I imagine you can get good quality toddler clothes for puppets at thrift stores, because kids don't wear them out, they just outgrow them. I've considered broadening my Gonzo replica's wardrobe that way, as that purple tux doesn't look so comfy.

Vincent Liu: I need to spend some time with Jan to sharpen my puppeteering skills. And... heh, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I can't do his voice. The voice I hear in my head is Brian Henson's Jack Pumpkinhead, minus the gosh-wow dippiness:

When I operate Jan I do the Mel Blanc throat pinch (which Frank Oz used for every character I can remember him doing) which results in a slightly Boober-ish voice. I'm not happy with that, but the alternative is making him a soprano. There's already enough gender confusion without that.
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  11. Slackbot Well-Known Member

I dump doodles.
    [IMG]
    Ding Dang Doodle Dump: Oh jeez, I don't know if I should try to explain any of this stuff.
  12. charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Why is Mokey sneezing/sweating in the picture under Idgie?
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  13. muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Holy Mokey! Wow! This is great! Kim, some of the doodles is from your fanfic, "Muppets from Mars." Ohhh! Red is angry with Boober and he's scared (shudders)! What was the last time she did that? Oh yeah, when she accused him of stealing the Fraggle horn. Sounds scary to me! I love these doodles. They are wonderful! I didn't know you were like, "Who drew these characters?"
  14. Slackbot Well-Known Member

I drew that pic, and the one of Red and Boober, while re-editing "Commonplace miracles."
  15. CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Ha, I get that "boiling" pic thanks to your other thread. This is great! Keep it up!
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  16. Slackbot Well-Known Member

Heh, yep. For those who wonder why I have a Fraggle in a cookpot up there, that's a joke about boiling fur. When you buy fake fur it usually has a boring smooth texture. Muppets aren't like that. Typical Muppet fur is rumply and lived-in looking. For my Janken Puppet (seen higher up on this page) I bought some "Punky Muppet" fur from Mendel's, then boiled it. I boiled some water, dumped it into an industrial bucket, swirled the fur in the water gently for a minute, then wrung it out and let it dry flat, rumpling it a bit with my fingers now and again. The result was that lovely, Fraggly, wool-like texture.

So... I guess if I'd forgotten to boil the fur before sewing it, I'd have to boil the whole Fraggle. [IMG]

(Oh, and the "Map Butt" thing is an in-joke. Only one person on this site is likely to get that, heh.)
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  17. Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Not sure, but it reminds me of post 628.
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  18. Slackbot Well-Known Member

Good call. That's where it came from. A certain person started calling him "Map Butt" and it's sorta stuck. (Ew.)
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  19. Slackbot Well-Known Member

As I've mentioned before, I rarely do requests because of the amount of work I put into my stuff. However, lately I've been in a kinda scattered mood, and I thought it'd be fun to open the thread up for a while to doodle requests. I'm talking quickie drawings like you see in the above doodle dump. Those don't take much time, and it might be a fun way to break out of this funk.

So, throw your ideas at me. I can't promise I'll do everything, and as I'm going to Dragon*Con soon I don't make any promises as to time frame either. Still, feel free to throw ideas at me. If said ideas involve obscure or original characters, there's a much better chance I'll draw 'em if you include a link to reference pictures. (No videos, please--I'm on dialup!)
    GopherCoffee likes this.
  20. CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Could you do a Sweetums sketch?
    GopherCoffee likes this.