SNL Henson

Ravensisle

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but here goes:

I know that when Saturday Night Live first came out they had Jim Henson do a segment on a couple of episodes. Is there any product out there that contains these bits? Does anyone know where I could see these or obtain them?

Thanks,
ravensisle@ev1.net

Jackie

Reaction score
Go to half.com and search for SNL episodes from the first season. Most of the tapes should say if the Muppets are included on them. Some guest stars that have Muppets include George Carlin and Lily Tomlin.

beaker

Reaction score
...where are those mucking fuppets?

Aw yes, the classic The Land of Gorch SNL circa 75-76 skits. Before Dark Crystal and Fraggle Rock, these were of a time when JHC was doing some pretty edgy material for the time.
Back when there was an adult and children's market seperately and equally for the Muppets. Unlike today where everything is wink wink and homogenized, the70's provided some of JHC's most envelope pushing stuff to date(sex and violence, frawley screen test, Land of Gorch) Sadly the Land of Gorch sketches didnt last more than a half dozen or so skits, but if ya can get ahold of em they are truly classics.

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
I wanted to see those skits too, until I saw the transcripts. I'm glad that Henson and Assoc. decided to class up the Muppets more.

I hope when the new Muppet Show screens, this is not the kind of edgy we get. I don't associate the off-color, crass humor with the term "cutting edge" as much as I do "bottom of the barrel."

That's the kind of humor people resort to when they're not really funny. You'll see if you ever bring a puppet to high school and let the local pervs use your puppet for just a minute. Boy did I learn my lesson.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I hope when the new Muppet Show screens, this is not the kind of edgy we get. I don't associate the off-color, crass humor with the term "cutting edge" as much as I do "bottom of the barrel."<<<

Oh, I know what ya mean...I'd hate for the new Muppet show to come even close to the quagmire of south park or say greg the bunny. But you would really have to see the girch skits for yourself to decide...the chemistry is alarmingly cool, and while some may think it crass, scred is loveable...and they have the weirdest injoke lingo for various things. And ya gotta love Frank Oz' Mighty Favog!

dwmckim

Reaction score
CaptCrouton:

It's true, the transcripts alone don't do the sketches justice. You do need to see them performed to really appreciate them!

Ravensisle:

If you have the E! Channel, they show old episodes of SNL, keep your eyes peeled and you may catch some on your own. They'll announce The Muppets when the Don Pardo announces the cast and guests during the theme.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You might actually catch these on air. The Comedy Network reruns one hour versions of almost all the SNL shows in a chronological cycle. Although these are edited and I've never seen the Muppets in one of the `75-`76 season eps, several people have told me they have.

It's very possible these SNL reruns are also running in the US and elsewhere. Comedy Central perhaps?

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Comedy Central only shows episodes from the mid-90's to recent episodes. They don't show any of the 70's episodes. There is no chance of ever seeing Gorch on Comedy Central. That reminds me...

*makes an addition to the "Reasons Comedy Central Sucks" list*

-Matt

gymkatarules

Reaction score
E! (one of the worst cable channels ever) shows the 70's episodes regularly.

-Chris