Snuffy and Big Bird

Natalie

Reaction score
ok, I've heard a lot of talk that when Snuffy and Big Bird met eachother, it was a really big deal. since I don't know how any of these first episodes of Snuffy went, would anyone be nice enough to tell me all about them please? thanks!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've seen those episodes, but from what I remember, nobody but Big Bird saw Snuffy for a long time. Big Bird told everybody about Snuffy, but they kept missing him and they thought he was like an imaginary friend. So when everyone else finally met Snuffy and realized that he was real, it was a big revelation.
Erin (newbie)

Natalie

Reaction score
great thanks! I suspected that was the case with them. any more info anybody?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I remember a sketch where Big Bird and Snuffy we're talking about how they met, and they didn't remember themselves, so I'm guessing Big Bird just happened to know Snuffy when the show began or something like that.

MIKEB97

Reaction score
Hey ngirl23,

Big Bird first met Snuffy when Sesame Street began it's third season (1971-1972). When Snuffy made his first appearance, he was very scary and ugly. He had greenish eyes that tilted and his head wasn't really round. When Big Bird told Gordon, Susan, David and Rafaiel about Snuffy, they didn't believe him at all. The whole human cast saw him fifteen years later in 1985.
Hope this helps.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Fifteen years?!! :eek: I figured maybe a couple seasons. I had no idea there was so much time in between. Of course, that was a little before my time.

Poor Big Bird! To have everybody thinking he was making it up all that time... My mom tells me that's what she used to hate about Sesame Street, that they didn't believe Big Bird. She just didn't think that was right! (Sorta like my righteous indignation at those darn kids saying "Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids!" :mad: ) Glad they finally got to meet him, and cleared Big Bird's name!
Erin

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I agree. I remember a lot of good sketches with Snuffy interacting with people. Remember when he was doing the "Snuffle Shuffle" with Susan and some kids? Or when he told Gordon and Linda about the Snuffle-Upa-bus? Lol.

Natalie

Reaction score
Once again you all make me feel like I was born in the wrong generation! It would have been so much cooler to watch SS as a kid in the 70s and early 80s, but oh well! Thanks for the info guys!

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by Don'tLiveonMoon
Fifteen years?!! :eek: I figured maybe a couple seasons. I had no idea there was so much time in between. Of course, that was a little before my time.

Poor Big Bird! To have everybody thinking he was making it up all that time... My mom tells me that's what she used to hate about Sesame Street
Yeah Erin, isn't that terrible?! 15 freakin' years!! I remember when I was a kid and saw SS and the humans always JUUUUUUUUUST missed seein' Snuffy, it almost drove me mad! I wanted 'em to see him sooooooo bad! (Hey, a rhyme) Literally, I couldn't stand it (it took a lot outta me as a kid). I was 7 when Snuffy was finally unveiled to the street, and it was such a relief. I remember my mommy tellin' me it was comin' up, just like when she showed me an article in the paper about Maria and Luis gettin' married. :smile:

Anyway, the whole reason that Snuffy was finally seen by all was that, in the early '80s, child abuse had really taken a rise, and the people behind SS were afraid that kids might take the whole Snuffy/not real thing as meanin' that adults wouldn't believe 'em if they told 'em stuff.

Hence, the SS people thought that, should some kids be gettin' abused, they would think, "Why bother tellin' my parents (or another adult), they just won't believe me. Look at SS, nobody believes Big Bird about Snuffy, and he's real." :frown:

So everyone finally saw Snuffy---and apologized to Big Bird. :smile:

By the way, I got all this info from the book "SS Unpaved", and you should really get it---lotsa great classic memories in it, and it's so colorful and fun! Heck, I wrote an Epinion on the thing, maybe you saw it! LOL!

Hope I was able to give ya some more info, Erin and ngirl23. :smile:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I believe that when Snuffy was actually introduced to the rest of the cast, Phil Donahue was on hand to cover it. Just a tidbit of info to add to the Snuffy campfire.

I want smores d*mmit! :big_grin:

-Matt