Snuffy's mechanism

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
How many muppeteers does it take to operate Snuffleupagus? I know there have to be at least two people inside that Muppet.
And also how do the mouth and all the other mechanics work?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It takes two performers to perform Mr. Snuffleupagus, one in front and one in back. The performer in the front also performs the voice.

I am sure that there is probably a monitor inside snuffy, though I am not sure if the monitor is in Snuffy's head (like how the Gorgs have monitors inside their heads) or if it is more like the monitor inside Big Bird (tied to the performers waiste). I am guessing the latter, though, and the back performer probably performs that way as well.

The front performer can easily move the mouth and snuffle with his hands (the performer doesn't have to worry about moving arms). I am not sure if there is a controll inside the head for the performer to move Snuffy's eyes and eyebrows or if they are remote controlled by somebody behind the camera.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I would wonder how they store Snuffy when he's not being used. I'm sure he comes apart, is there 3 pieces, front, back, and head. Or how does that work?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
I would wonder how they store Snuffy when he's not being used. I'm sure he comes apart, is there 3 pieces, front, back, and head. Or how does that work?
I've been wondering that myself. I have wondered if he was one-piece (perhaps there is a hole in the bottom of the pppet for the performers to go into) or if it comes apart.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
There is a rod, or a stick, that operates the "snuffle" part (Marty Robinson describes this in the SESAME STREET UNPAVED TV special).

Also, there's a hole, or a slit, in Snuffy's back so that Muppeteers can stick their hand through and operate Elmo and Zoe "riding" on Snuffy's back. (See "Kid's Favorite Songs" and "Elmo's World: Happy Holidays" with scenes that feature this).

BEAR

Reaction score
from what I understand, Snuffy (in whole) is stored hung on the ceiling of the studio.