1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

Snuffy's Parents Get a Divorce

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Redsonga, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Redsonga

Redsonga Well-Known Member

I was looking at the wiki and found the page on this episode. I was eight/ nine when this episode was made..and even though the page says it was never aired I do remember seeing it on my PBS station.I was wondering if there could have been a chance my area was a part of this 'test study' the page talks about?
    Because I don't think I am just crazy about remembering it :(

My parents have been divorced since I was three so I recall the episode actually having a deep effect on me.

2. Erine81981

Erine81981 Well-Known Member

That would be neat to hear about. I know most about the episode just by reading it but cool to know that you might have been the city or town that they used this as a test study.

3. Redsonga

That line, the one they use in the page, was actually the part that stayed with me the most , the ' Just because parents have an argument, or get upset with each other, doesn't mean they're getting a divorce... Or that they don't love each other anymore.'
    All I know for sure is many more than just 60 children must have seen it, maybe my station did'nt hear it had been cut and played it once? Hmmm...
    I remember the teddy bear scene to, it did look like she was really doing something awful to it...

4. CensoredAlso

CensoredAlso Well-Known Member

That is interesting! Well as best as you can remember, do you think it helped you understand the concept of divorce, or did it just leave more questions? Without trying to get too personal of course. :)

5. Redsonga

I remember it actually made me feel worst about divorce than I had felt before:sympathy: . It was sort of as if I could see the really bad time Snuffy's family was going though and could'nt do anything about it.
    I actually think I blocked out the part about Snuffy's daddy because I have always been a daddy's girl and the idea of Alice's never coming back (it seemed to me as if he was never returning from the feeling of it ) was just too much for me. My parents are still good friends you see, so I did not get why it could'nt be the same for Snuffy's.

6. CensoredAlso

Hmm, yes that's a very good point. I know it's not exactly the same but they've shown regular characters getting divorced or separated on The Simpsons and South Park and even on shows like that, it made me genuniely sad and angry to see them going through it.

That's interesting that it seemed to you that Snuffy's Dad wasn't returning. The Wiki article said a lot of kids didn't seem to understand that the Dad would be back on weekends. To me, that seems pretty obvious that they wouldn't get it. Little kids don't always comprehend the passage of time the way adults do. I didn't even know what a week was until grammar school. I mean, I knew the days of the week, but the full concept of a week.

And also many young kids often don't understand the concepts of trust and anticipation yet. Just because Dad has come back every weekend so far, that's no guarantee in their minds that he will continue to do so.

7. Redsonga

You know, I don't remember them ever actually saying he would be back for weekends...
    Because I would have understood that fine, since my daddy had me every other weekend...
    But I don't recall them actually stating that he had visiting time, it seemed to me to me the only focus on the 'this isn't my home anymore' side :(

8. CensoredAlso

Well maybe it's sort of like with the Mr. Hooper episode. They wanted to focus mainly on the most disturbing aspect of dying (obviously that the person is never coming back) so kids wouldn't get a false sense of security.

9. Redsonga

Even so, I don't know, it made me very depressed not for myself but for Snuffy's family. As if it was a higher level of divorce I had never seen before, like a car crash you can't look away from...
    I can understand why they never showed it again, even though up until I found the wiki I never knew it was not shown anymore :sympathy:

Mr. Hooper died the year I was born so I never knew about him as a person, but my grandpa died when I was three so I learned about death first hand early on. Seeing that episode now I feel bad for Big Bird because my family..I dunno, I think they just made me more ready for the fact of someone dieing. So I want to hug Big Bird in the same way as Snuffy for his hard time with divorce, because I was lucky enough to take both issues well thanks to my family...

10. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets Well-Known Member

Wow! That's amazing that they actually showed this episode where you live.

11. Redsonga

I did'nt know the PBS channel I've had all my life from KQED San Francisco was so one of a kind :eek: . I honestly thought everyone had seen the episode :o
    But now that I think of it, they have always been a very art and study based channel and I would not have put it past them to 'test' something on us :p

12. Ilikemuppets

I think it's great that they did!

13. Redsonga

I'm just surprised no one else ever talked about seeing it before..Maybe they blocked it out of their memory:( ?

14. Ilikemuppets

That very well could be.:search:

15. Redsonga

*pokes at wiki* I wonder would I be allowed to edit it with what I know? :halo:

16. Ilikemuppets

I'm not sure but It would be worth a try.

17. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I just shot over to Muppet wikie to re read the articel, and i have some things to say.

First: You can edit it all you need to do is log in to do so. If your not a member you more then lilky can become on fairly easy.

Second; I think this would have been a better idea for a Video or DVD. That way parents can use it as a tool to help explain what is going on with there own lives. The key there would be that the whole family would need to watch it and talk about it afterwards.

Thrid: I think the fact that it is such a personal topic it is good to use a Muppet. If done right they can really make the message knowned a little better then a human could. Snuffy would not have been my choice though. To me he is one of the more Scaryir of the SS muppets and i just dont think it would have fit right. I could see even creating a newe Muppet just for that one show. I could also see Elmo or Abby dealing with this in there own way, and i think kids could relate to it more,

18. Redsonga

To me it had even more emotion in it because it was Snuffy.
    I could have cared less if it was some human like muppet or Elmo. The fact that he was so un-human and still having this trouble was really something to me...Something about those big sad eyes I guess.

I had no trouble with who they picked, more than anything it was the fact that they only focused on the bad side of things and did not show any of the hope side, more than anything, that their daddy was not gone forever, that there would not be anymore yelling, etc...

It's one of those things that unless you saw it yourself when you were little you can't really comment on why it did'nt 'work'. It's really something you have to have seen with a certain mindset...

Like I said, I come from a very good case of divorce for the right reasons and it even depressed me :p

19. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I don't know. It might be best to ask on the talk page first. Muppet Wiki seems to frown upon making pages or sketch descriptions based on memory, especially not memory from that long ago.

20. Redsonga

I don't mean adding detail about the episode I mean about it airing on the channel it did. And as for memory, if it is that long ago and most of the people that worked there are gone now how else are you going to get the info from something like an airing that rare ? :p Just because I am not an older member...