So do you think Muppet Babies will ever get a DVD release?

Movies205

Reaction score
That right I return after leaving Super Hero Hype... I just got that urge for SOME MUPPETS!!!!!!

Muppet Babies capture the imagination of children every where and it would be a shame for this classic series to rot in some basement somewhere :crazy: One of the great things about muppet babies the show could do anything cuz it inspire you to use your imagination. Which is why it a much better show then say Rugrats.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they will get the DVD treatment eventually. I doubt every episode will be released, but it's a safe bet.

jediX

Reaction score
I agree. I loved this show when I was little and still enjoy the episodes every now and then.

Remember: they released several tapes of episodes in the mid 90's along with a couple TMS compilations and some FR episodes. Maybe they will do this again, or perhaps rerun the show/create new episodes like they are doing with other 80's cartoons? (Ninja Turtles, He-Man, etc...)

Luke

Reaction score
The main thing will be video tapes, you'll get one with each of the plush range aimed at pre-schoolers like with Care Bears. Not sure if this will still be the case when they release the merchandise at the nostalgic crowd. I would guess that something will make it to DVD as Jamie says, probably a few volumes of complilations. I wouldn't expect it till very late 2004/early 2005 though.

MustangRockstar

Reaction score
Luke said:
The main thing will be video tapes, you'll get one with each of the plush range aimed at pre-schoolers like with Care Bears. Not sure if this will still be the case when they release the merchandise at the nostalgic crowd. I would guess that something will make it to DVD as Jamie says, probably a few volumes of complilations. I wouldn't expect it till very late 2004/early 2005 though.
I dunno i could see them releasing the series. The DVD format makes it so much easier to do that now. The show ran for what? 100 episodes? If they do 25 on each, that is five volumes. NEVER underestimate the power of nostalgia. Those kids who watched the show {like myself} are now entering, or already in their 20's. They are starting their own famalies, dealing with reality of life and want a piece of their past. For themselves and their own famalies. It would never happen on VHS, but i do believe there is a serious interest from people who would get the series. The best way for the henson company to make the muppets a household name again with younger generations is to get them when they are still young. Saturday morning cartoons are a thing of the past, and a lot of new parents would love to have a show like the muppet babies for their kids. Heck adults without kids would love it because the show captures the meaning of a good a life IMPO. Love, friendship, imagination and the reminder that good things happen in the dark. {Tell me that song didnt have some hidden agenda =)}

I'd love to see it, but only if it's done right. 5 sets, series complete. I'd rather not see new episodes. sometimes it's best to leave things the way they are, it's less painful. The new ninja turtles, heman, etc., just doesnt feel right.

Luke

Reaction score
They will never ever ever release the whole series on DVD, especially not in 25 episode sets. There is some interest, but there would never be enough interest to do something on that scale - this is why they are aiming the new stuff at little kids and the nostalgic crowd at the same time. It's a double whammy but little kids don't buy into full DVD sets. Henson have looked into releasing a lot of stuff onto DVD that we don't have now but the reality is the sales just aren't there and they lack any major distribution arm aside from Columbia - and they are big so they'll only ever want to release mainstream stuff. If it happens it'll be compilations.

I see a lot of people in their early 20's talk about how it was part of them growing up, and thats true, but the market also remains untested and you can't (especially from a sales point of view) rely on everybody thinking the same way. There have been plenty of companies releasing some old kids favorites and then finding only a few people bought the DVD's - it really depends how many people are still dedicated to the shows to buy them. It'll be interesting to see how the new Muppet Babies stuff does - i'm guessing it's not going to be that popular with the kids and will come too late in an overcrowded market, adult interest will be there but nothing major as that market is also massively crowded. This is the Henson Company trying to make a fast buck out of what they already have (can't blame them) by following what everybody else is doing and hoping for the best but they aren't always in such a strong position as other companies and usually manage to fall flat on their face. It would surprise me greatly if the Muppet Babies become as big a franchise as the classic Muppets again - maybe if they had made this move two years ago i could have seen some success but not now.

Movies205

Reaction score
This is usually how season sets come about ... They'll release a couple of dvds with 3 episodes on each disc, if they sell good then they'll sell a season set. I think it all depends on how well the muppets are selling but we'll see the episodes on dvd some day

MustangRockstar

Reaction score
Ya know i think i'd be pretty content having the series just be rerun for that matter. I'll tape it myself. That's where the problem is. It's been so long that no one really has a descent collection on video and you simply cannot find any mpegs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
MustangRockstar said:
I'd love to see it, but only if it's done right. 5 sets, series complete. I'd rather not see new episodes. sometimes it's best to leave things the way they are, it's less painful. The new ninja turtles, heman, etc., just doesnt feel right.

The New Turtles is closer to the original comic books, and not caricatured for kiddy audiences....

But DVD's are tricky things. Odd, forgetable shows like Steve Harvey (I only watched it for Cedric!) and the like, plus new ones (which are rerun ad nauseum during the week) get the DVD treatment, and other things are quite forgotten...

Ask Warrick and the rest trying to get Fraggles on DVD!

MustangRockstar

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
The New Turtles is closer to the original comic books, and not caricatured for kiddy audiences....

But DVD's are tricky things. Odd, forgetable shows like Steve Harvey (I only watched it for Cedric!) and the like, plus new ones (which are rerun ad nauseum during the week) get the DVD treatment, and other things are quite forgotten...

Ask Warrick and the rest trying to get Fraggles on DVD!
Dont i know it. I cant tell you how many times sit there and go "why the heck did they even bother?"

As for the turtles while i do appreciate it being closer to the original comics, its just not working for me.

I think the original series started off pretty good, but like the toys went downhill after they started getting carried away.