So has Global Warming Resumed?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
furryredmonster said:
Global Warming will soon make the polar icecaps melt. And then the world will flood. But does anybody care??? NO... they never will until it's too late.
That's it! I'm buying flood insurance! :rolleyes:

Honestly, enough with the chicken little impersonations. Did you check out the link posted by RedDragon. Truth is there is enough data that can be twisted to show either point of view. The weather and climates are all cyclical.

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/aginatur/pointlss.htm

And D'snowth, why did you start a thread asking if global warming was true if you already made up your mind that it was?

Censored

Reaction score
When you think about it, a debate about what's going on with the temperature of the Earth really shouldn't be all that controversial. The strong feelings come in because of the political overtones connected with both sides of the issue.

On the surface, we see people debating about science, but in between the lines, they're really debating who should be President, which political party should be in power, past elections, political ideology and philosophy, and the role of government.

It's just like the debate over evolution and its connection to religion.

The truth is that politics or religion have no place in scientific study. Science, by its very nature, has to be free of any bias, so it can take an objective look at what's there and draw conclusions based on current facts, regardless of who likes it, and also be willing to modify those conclusions as new facts arrive.

So, everyone should keep an open mind.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
First of all, if this thread doesn't get back on track I'll close it. I'm determined that MC will be a fun place with constructive posts in it again!!

D'Snowth said:
I've been hearing talk that all of these above average temperatures, and all the hurricanes that we've had this season is the result of Global Warming starting again. Is this true?{/quote]

Yeah, but with the winter months approaching, it's that global cooling that worries me!

furryredmonster said:
Global Warming will never stop. If only the world would relize that they could prevent this but they don't care. I am an enviormetal freak. I once wrote a petition to our school to recycle more...gotta lot of siggys but was to chicken to give it to the office at our school.
You can't be an 'environmentalist freak' if when you begin to campaign for something you let it fall by the way-side and ignore what is important to you. Why bother going through all that work if you're not going to follow through?

I'll tell you this: Our art department had no air conditioning in it (this was 11th grade for me), and the sports department already had a/c. However, when the money came in for the high school, they began reinstalling a NEW a/c in the sports department and totally bypassed the art department. That made me angry. I wrote a LONG letter to the school principal and ultimately got called into his office. I wasn't in trouble, he wanted to hear me vocalize my concern, and I did, and he thanked me for it.

To this day, they STILL don't have any a/c (and that was in 1988!) but I stood up for what I believed in and followed through.

I'm not advising you to go all crazy and do anything nuts, but if you have some signatures showing other folks' interest in more recycling, then take it to the office and drop it off. It's a request, maybe a demand, but nothing that'll get you in trouble! Otherwise, the whole post was silly to make on the boards because the outcome of it was never resolved and was off-topic anyhow. But, drop it off and show you've tried to make a better difference in the world and it will fit.

furryred said:
I think the world is coming to the end as we know it. Look at all the natural disasters we have been having and all the wars. My oppinion. Oh, and I suppose YOU think you know more, Mr. Genius?!
Then, based on your opinion, the world should have ended in the 40's with WWII. Hurricanes have always happened, it just hasn't been until more recently that they've been better recorded as was stated. My 98 year old grandfather says to me (he's from the country and didn't get much education because he worked the farm), "We didn't have all these storms you hear about when I was a boy! It's when they started sending them plans to the moon that all the weather got bad." Well, when he was a boy in north Mississippi, he never knew about what was going on at the coast because all he knew about then was the storms in Marshall County! News to the country wasn't as rapid as it was to the cities. We're talking about the early 19-teens-years, too.

Oh, and with all this talk of science and the end of the world, I want to add that there was actually an article at cnn.com within the past few weeks that said that scientists do not believe the end of the world is at hand. HA HA!! That's true! I hope someone with time can look it up and post a link. I'm glad that scientists are that smart to know when the end of the world is going to happen!! LOL!

red dragon said:
Then you shouldn't have started it. Where there's global warming, soon will follow a fight.
You start a thread on a controversial issue you are going to get controversy.
D'snowth said:
Oh, and I suppose YOU think you know more, Mr. Genius?!

First of all, this is not the kind of response I like to see on the boards. Some of the responses prior to this was smart aleck toward one another as well that I don't like, but there are more constructive ways of responding. Secondly, and even though it appears to me to be a joke, don't ever allow that there will be a fight to follow. Thirdly, do NOT call people out like that "Mr. Genius" statement!! I will begin to ask for members to be suspended from the boards if I continue to see calling-outs and negative responses from ANY of the posts. I'm determined to see that MC is again the respectable and respectful community it once was, gang.

D'snowth said:
Now you sound like Kevin.
Huh? Which one? What does this mean?

geebee said:
On the surface, we see people debating about science, but in between the lines, they're really debating who should be President, which political party should be in power, past elections, political ideology and philosophy, and the role of government.
I didn't see that in anything above. Did I miss something? :smile:

geebee said:
So, everyone should keep an open mind.
fishnwolfe said:
Yep, I open mine up and air it out at least once a week.
When I feel more assured about the air-quality in Memphis, TN, then I'll start doing that again.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Huh? Which one? What does this mean?
So sorry, but you. I was responding to Red Dragon's response when I said...

D'Snowth said:
I don't like the direction this thread is heading...
RedDragon said:
Then you shouldn't have started it.
I didn't mean it offensively Kevin, I was just trying to make a statement.:sympathy:

RedDragon

Reaction score
Um.....I hate politics.....I could care less who's president...............

<sorry Kevin>

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Nobody's got to apologize to me, I just want to see responses that are constructive. I'll admit: My patience is wearing thin on negative posts. PLEASE just be positive, gang. That's all I ask. It's not asking for alot, is it?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This thread needs to be bumped. Why? Well, because more evidence of Global Warming has been found...

Apparently a lot of the coral reef off the shores of Indonisia are bleached, and they're saying the cause of the bleaching is due to unusually warm water temperatures caused by... tah-dah... Global Warming. They also said that only 10% of bleached coral survive.

I rest my case.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Ok, I read an article in the paper that said that Global Warming might actually do more good than bad. I think that they were talking that it would bring more crops and stuff northern, and other places could make a killing. They literally said that the goods would outweigh the bad. Oh, and you also gotta consider the source. Al Gore. The man who said that he invented the internet, and said that we were headed into another ice age as short as 20 years ago. Personally, I don't care about my great-great-grandchildren, they won't meet me nor would they say, Why didn't my great-great-grandparents do something about this earlier? I think that they would actually try and do something about it if we don't succeed. But, as far as this arguing? We need to start loving our fellow man/woman/other, we need to start shaking hands instead of shaking fist man.

Daniel