So much for the Muppet special being "successful"

Luke

Reaction score
Re: Re: hating NBC

Originally posted by FellowWLover
Now this interest me, since it sort of confirms my thoughts that they knew VMMCM is not really a film for kids. I just wish the rating had been appropriate.
You know, i've seen it now, and while it didn't exactly blow me away (i think MFS was better) i don't think it needed anything more than a parental guidance kinda rating. Obviously it wasn't just aimed at kids but there wasn't all that much that made me think it wasn't suitable for them either other than IMO i don't think the storyline would have been that interesting to them. The only instances i think would have been when they suggested Kermit was on drugs, and Bitterman showing Pepe her *ahem* 'twins'.

To be honest i think any discerning kid would have fallen asleep after about the first five minutes - i found it somewhere between mildly watchable and dire, i didn't even find it that edgy - the Muppets just went completely off track for no reason whatsoever because what they were trying to achieve didn't work ....... it was extrememly flawed from a writing and production point of view.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: hating NBC

Originally posted by Luke
(i think MFS was better)

yeah..that is their best film since 1990 you just can't beat the 90's funk.....ok that's enough or i'll start dancing!-Sarah

C'irdan

Reaction score
Wait a minute...you're getting your information from USA TODAY??? well...there you go!

Futhermore:
UPN has terrible programming half the time...and not many people watch it, and NBC advertised it to adults because it's a movie that's not inapropriate but it's funnier to adults-which I think they did a good job of! I agree that the rating should have been PG, but I don't think it's horrible being G either...other than the fact that adults automatically think it's a kids movie from that. Yes, Pepe said "sucks", and there was a teency little suggestive scene, but I think with the audience they were aiming for, that wasn't a problem. I think that possibly the reason that your kid didn't like the film, Warrick, was because that the plot and writing was so unusual compared to the purposefully cliched older muppet films. They were spoofing the regular hollywood movie in those films and now they've started branching out a bit...it's just not enough to keep kids entertained...which proves that there really is a new group of people watching.

I've stated my position.

C'irdan

uncleduke

Reaction score
Originally posted by murgatoad
Well, the article did mention the Muppet special in a graph that listed the top Xmas specials according to viewership. So it was included in the article.
Where can we see this graph you keep mentioning?
I seems that the Muppets did a high enough number during the initial airing that it merits consideration.
I am curious what numbers it did on the Hallmark channel airings.

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by C'irdan
Wait a minute...you're getting your information from USA TODAY??? well...there you go!
"There you go"? Where, exactly? USA Today is not a tabloid. It's an oft-quoted national newspaper. Its journalistic integrity is as solid as any other newspaper's.

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by uncleduke
Where can we see this graph you keep mentioning?
I seems that the Muppets did a high enough number during the initial airing that it merits consideration.
I am curious what numbers it did on the Hallmark channel airings.
As for your latter comment, I'd be curious about that myself. Not to mention how many VHS tapes of the movie NBC sold.

As for the graph, it was in the article in the actual newspaper, but not in the online article. Your local library might have back issues of the paper if you'd like to look into it.

beaker

Reaction score
My god, its 2003 finally and were still talking about this dead subject? Let's talk about the macarena, pet rocks, or that proposed Disney buyout of JHC in 1989 for that matter:wink:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
My god, its 2003 finally and were still talking about this dead subject? Let's talk about the macarena, pet rocks, or that proposed Disney buyout of JHC in 1989 for that matter:wink:
My rocks are not pets, they're family.

Oh wait, WHICH dead subject are we talking about (really)?