Sofia the First

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now this is a preschool show that greatly surprised me. Going by the title, I thought it was going to be an obnoxiously girly Dora clone, but refreshingly, it doesn't feel like it was written as a preschool show (Think Franklin or PB&J Otter). There's a lot of stories focusing on social lessons, such as gender roles in society in the 1st episode (where Sofia wants to be a horseback rider despite it being a prince-only club). I also really like the main villain, Cedric the Sorcerer. It also helps that he's voiced by Jess Harnell. :smile:

The CGI is impressive, too, using cel shading to create a hand drawn style. It's quality is far beyond that of the PS1 cutscene quality of so many other TV cartoons.

I do hate how Sofia, Disney's first Hispanic princess, is criticized by some for not being Hispanic enough, which is the same crap that went on with Tiana being too black during development of PatF and then not being black enough. I, for one, have seen plenty of Hispanics in the world that have fair skin and brown hair like Sofia, such as some Spaniards. I hope Disney doesn't cave and darken her and her mother's skin or something just to shut those focus groups up.