"Some day we'll find it, the Muppet Connection"

CherryPizza

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear, interpret this how you will... maybe you've provoked me, maybe you've inspired me, or maybe it's a rose by any other name.

Anyway, this is the post I just had to make when Fozzie said, in response to my message about the Stick Puppets...

>>>I played with mine like crazy, and when there were Sesame Street figures that came out in the same size range, I had some REAL Muppety fun!!<<<

All I could think was, oh for the days when "Muppet" had its extended definition, when you could say "Muppet", and people would not think you were talking simply about characters from TMS.

A friend of mine said she asked her eight-year-old sister if she knew who the Muppets were, and she apparently did, mainly because of the later Muppet movies which occasionally get screened on TV here. Big sis goes on to ask "Well what about Big Bird" (or words to that effect), to which little sis replies, "no that's not a Muppet, that's Sesame Street".

I will always be glad that I watched SS in an era when Kermit was making regular appearances on it, when TMS frequently aired, when we could therefore know that these characters were united under the banner of "Muppet".

As much as I love the Palisades line of Muppet figures, it's with a bittersweet feeling that, as the line changes from 'The Muppet Show' to 'Jim Henson's Muppets', the "expanded" definition of Muppet only seems to go as far as MT and the Muppet Movies. I can understand that Fraggle Rock and Sesame Street aren't included because of licence issues, but I just don't buy the statement on the FAQ that "There are no immediate plans to explore the possibility, as the license is much more of a kid's property, which would make this type of figures we are doing for Muppets a difficult thing to do for Sesame because of the age grading that would be required". With just about every type of pop culture icon who ever there was being immortalised on action figures these days, and with plenty of adults who joined in the rush during the Tickle Me Elmo era, I can't see them not taking off... and since Palisades has its policy of beefing out its line by having one or two less popular characters in each series, a Fraggle or SS character in each series would seem to suit its purpose.

Anyway, this message wasn't meant to be about action figures, it's about "Muppets" and the scope of that term... and how I just wished that more people would know and appreciate the diversity of the Muppets as much as the folk on this forum do