Some ways to improve Sesame Street

wiley207

Reaction score
OK, today I saw Episode 4129 of "Sesame Street." It was a slight improvement over the 2004 episode I saw. I also got to see the full version of the current opening theme. It is basically another remix of the old "Sesame Street" intro but with more instruments, and of course, including the harmonica. The "blocks" and clips from the show were a bit unneccesary, but I liked the Super Grover bit. And we still got to see plenty of the classic Muppets. It also had a neat variation of "The Number of the Day" where the Count was counting the girl jump-roping in the arbor area! "Trash Gordon" isn't so bad, either. It's interesting and short (usually 1 to 2 minutes), and it's good to see that THE Gordon is involved with it. But enough of my rambling on how OK the episode was; it's time to get down to business.

Here is a list of things that "Sesame Street" should probably do to improve the show a bit. It will be both a blend of new and old stuff that will make everybody pleased, and this could be done for the 40th season or something like that. Well, here's my list.

* The music that introduces the first street scene after the opening is the same newer semi-calypso version they've been using since 1992. They should at least make a new version or go back to the original 1969 harmonica intro music they usually used to introduce the street scenes.
* Just having one long street scene at the beginning might be a bit too much. Maybe they should divide it into two or three parts, sort of similar to the older format.
* Keep doing the "Letter of the Day" and "Number of the Day" skits, and even possibly make some new ones.
* Have Herry Monster make a few speaking appearances during the season. Jerry Nelson is still around to do the Count, and I am sure he can still do a good Herry. After all, he still performs Fat Blue in the new "Waiter Grover" skits.
* If they're gonna do any game show skits, have Guy Smiley be the host instead of that crazy "Mr. Whosits" guy performed by Tyler Bunch. Eric Jacobson can do a good Guy Smiley.
* Tone down a bit on the "gassy" or "vertigo" stuff. Doing jokes about stomach-aches and dizziness is not cool. Remember, this show is for preschoolers!
* Feature more songs by Joe Raposo or any of the original songwriters. We've seen a few references to them, but kids of today might not get it. I know that last season we got to see "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon", and despite being the version with Aaron Nelville singing with Ernie, they used Jim Henson's original voice recording for it, to great effect. Now they just need to bring back a few more old songs, even if they make new footage for them.
* Bring back the Pinball Number Count! There has been quite a few classic Sesame Street animated segments randomly appearing in recent seasons, so the Pinball Number Count would be a great idea, making a few appearances per season, especially after the "Number of the Day" segment or before "Elmo's World."
* A good idea would be to bring back "Monsterpiece Theater." New skits in that series would be a great idea, but rerunning old ones would be just as good. If they make newer ones, they should use the extended 1991 intro instead of that "Green Curtain" title card. If older ones are rerun, the 1989-1999 skits will use whatever opening they originally featured (the "Union Jack" opening on "The King and I," the long opening on "12 Angry Men," etc.)
* Keep many of the newer animated segments, such as Suzie Kabloozie, the number-rap sequences, etc, but continue occasionally showing some classic animated skits.
* Occasionally have Kermit the Frog involved with the show. They could even make some new Kermit Lectures or Sesame Street News skits, with Steve Whitmire performing Kermit, alongside rerunning the older ones on occasion.
* Maybe if permission is granted by Disney or Henson International, have more non-SS Muppets guest-star on an episode or two. An episode/special with the "Muppet Show" cast would be funny to watch!
* Make new "Elmo's World" skits, if it hasn't been done. We keep seeing the same ones over and over again. It's not like Kevin Clash is always unavailable to perform Elmo, is it?
* And finally. the closing credits. Retire the 1992 end credits sequence. It's outdated, and it isn't as good when shortened and edited. A new closing credit sequence would be pretty good, and it would be even better if it used the old 1969 harmonica closing theme, which we hear play for a few seconds at the end of each current episode. The old credits theme could start after Oscar closes out each show as Slimey goes to sleep, and then fade to the new credit sequence as the theme continues playing. It could be still photos/illustrations of the cast, or various clips of the show, or even scenes in Central Park with Big Bird or Barkley or the Muppets playing with the kids, with very few animated elements. Then at the end of the credits, the copyright screen will not appear until later, as mentioned in the next part. Instead, we will fade to one of the main characters (it can be random) mentioning about PBSKids.org, sort of a throwback to the old CTW thing they used to do.
* Bring back funding credits at the end of each show. It will describe the current funds such as CPB and stuff like that. The music could even be the 1972-1992 "funky chimes" theme! Then the funding credits would end with that copyright disclaimer screen you see on each episode. Then the SesameWorkshop and PBS logos will play.

So, is anyone up on this with me?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The only thing that keeps coming up for me, is the need to acknowledge that adult references are essential to children's development.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
OK, today I saw Episode 4129 of "Sesame Street." It was a slight improvement over the 2004 episode I saw. I also got to see the full version of the current opening theme. It is basically another remix of the old "Sesame Street" intro but with more instruments, and of course, including the harmonica. The "blocks" and clips from the show were a bit unneccesary, but I liked the Super Grover bit. And we still got to see plenty of the classic Muppets. It also had a neat variation of "The Number of the Day" where the Count was counting the girl jump-roping in the arbor area! "Trash Gordon" isn't so bad, either. It's interesting and short (usually 1 to 2 minutes), and it's good to see that THE Gordon is involved with it. But enough of my rambling on how OK the episode was; it's time to get down to business.

Here is a list of things that "Sesame Street" should probably do to improve the show a bit. It will be both a blend of new and old stuff that will make everybody pleased, and this could be done for the 40th season or something like that. Well, here's my list.

* The music that introduces the first street scene after the opening is the same newer semi-calypso version they've been using since 1992. They should at least make a new version or go back to the original 1969 harmonica intro music they usually used to introduce the street scenes.
* Just having one long street scene at the beginning might be a bit too much. Maybe they should divide it into two or three parts, sort of similar to the older format.
* Keep doing the "Letter of the Day" and "Number of the Day" skits, and even possibly make some new ones.
* Have Herry Monster make a few speaking appearances during the season. Jerry Nelson is still around to do the Count, and I am sure he can still do a good Herry. After all, he still performs Fat Blue in the new "Waiter Grover" skits.
* If they're gonna do any game show skits, have Guy Smiley be the host instead of that crazy "Mr. Whosits" guy performed by Tyler Bunch. Eric Jacobson can do a good Guy Smiley.
* Tone down a bit on the "gassy" or "vertigo" stuff. Doing jokes about stomach-aches and dizziness is not cool. Remember, this show is for preschoolers!
* Feature more songs by Joe Raposo or any of the original songwriters. We've seen a few references to them, but kids of today might not get it. I know that last season we got to see "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon", and despite being the version with Aaron Nelville singing with Ernie, they used Jim Henson's original voice recording for it, to great effect. Now they just need to bring back a few more old songs, even if they make new footage for them.
* Bring back the Pinball Number Count! There has been quite a few classic Sesame Street animated segments randomly appearing in recent seasons, so the Pinball Number Count would be a great idea, making a few appearances per season, especially after the "Number of the Day" segment or before "Elmo's World."
* A good idea would be to bring back "Monsterpiece Theater." New skits in that series would be a great idea, but rerunning old ones would be just as good. If they make newer ones, they should use the extended 1991 intro instead of that "Green Curtain" title card. If older ones are rerun, the 1989-1999 skits will use whatever opening they originally featured (the "Union Jack" opening on "The King and I," the long opening on "12 Angry Men," etc.)
* Keep many of the newer animated segments, such as Suzie Kabloozie, the number-rap sequences, etc, but continue occasionally showing some classic animated skits.
* Occasionally have Kermit the Frog involved with the show. They could even make some new Kermit Lectures or Sesame Street News skits, with Steve Whitmire performing Kermit, alongside rerunning the older ones on occasion.
* Maybe if permission is granted by Disney or Henson International, have more non-SS Muppets guest-star on an episode or two. An episode/special with the "Muppet Show" cast would be funny to watch!
* Make new "Elmo's World" skits, if it hasn't been done. We keep seeing the same ones over and over again. It's not like Kevin Clash is always unavailable to perform Elmo, is it?
* And finally. the closing credits. Retire the 1992 end credits sequence. It's outdated, and it isn't as good when shortened and edited. A new closing credit sequence would be pretty good, and it would be even better if it used the old 1969 harmonica closing theme, which we hear play for a few seconds at the end of each current episode. The old credits theme could start after Oscar closes out each show as Slimey goes to sleep, and then fade to the new credit sequence as the theme continues playing. It could be still photos/illustrations of the cast, or various clips of the show, or even scenes in Central Park with Big Bird or Barkley or the Muppets playing with the kids, with very few animated elements. Then at the end of the credits, the copyright screen will not appear until later, as mentioned in the next part. Instead, we will fade to one of the main characters (it can be random) mentioning about PBSKids.org, sort of a throwback to the old CTW thing they used to do.
* Bring back funding credits at the end of each show. It will describe the current funds such as CPB and stuff like that. The music could even be the 1972-1992 "funky chimes" theme! Then the funding credits would end with that copyright disclaimer screen you see on each episode. Then the SesameWorkshop and PBS logos will play.

So, is anyone up on this with me?
No I'm not. I think anyone who's so distraught with today's show just needs to except things they way they are and stop obsessing over changing the show for your own selfishness and just not watch it. If it satisfies the audience the show's targeting then there's no reason to change it.

Also I think instead of constantly posting ways to change SS one could spend their time taking about old SS in the Classic SS section and enjoy the old clips on youtube while we can.

How much longer are we going to obsess about this? Till they change back to how it once was?

Please!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, we could just be satisfied with watching youtube clips by ourselves. But for me personally, it isn't for selfish reasons. I honestly believe it's better for kids as well. Especially when they are plenty of kids shows today that are the way SS used to be, and are still very popular.

Plus changes have never happened in this world by people excepting things the way they are. Things only change if people make them.

I agree that the debate is getting old since we don't really listen or learn anything from each other, not to be rude. :smile:

wiley207

Reaction score
OK, I am sorry.

I just say that some of these changes are quite possible and can be done.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Please keep your discussions and comments respectful. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We are not all going to agree. If you have stated your opinion and someone disagrees (respectfully) that's fine-- move on. Do not resort to personal attacks or general meaness in your posts.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Have to agree with my esteemed colleague Annika. Please try to keep the conversation civil. If you believe that no amount of posting our feelings will change things, then don't reply. Or at least reply in a manner that befits this forum expressing your disagreement with the original poster's thoughts.

However, I wouldn't say it's all doom and gloom. Sesame Workshop has made *some* strides, minor as they may be, to try and tinker with the show to recapture *some* of the old classic feeling. True, they still have a long way to go and somethings that are incongruous given the current format should be changed so it's all kosher within the program's structure... But at least there's some small semblance of hope thinking that they might be lurking here and listening to us.
That's all I have to say on the matter. Please, mind your manners and the way you reply to others here at MC.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The funny thing is how folks get so steamed over the discussion of a children's educational television show. It's not meant for our age anymore. What we knew about it has changed and they aren't going to change it until the researchers for the show say it needs to be changed again.

It's okay to discuss things, but really, gang! Is the negativity necessary? This is what causes threads and posts to be deleted, edited, or closed. When folks from JHC, Diz/Muppet Studios, and SW come here to pour through the threads, do you think they need to see "Shut up," or "Please!" in the posts? I'm sure they get enough drama at home without having to see it on the message board.

Why WHY do I have to keep begging for diplomatic posts and no fighting? It's silly, we're all here to celebrate Jim Henson and this shows me that several of you learned NOTHING from what he taught us...or tried to, anyhow.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Sorry Kevin. I honestly didn't think saying please in this case was all that bad.