Something I noticed about Dave Goelz's Characters

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
I have noticed that on Fraggle Rock, Dave Goelz's charachters were seldomly seen at the same time. Now I know that it's hard for charachters to appear in the same take when they have the same performer. But a lot of times with other charachters they will appear in the same scene, even if one of them remains silent while the other talks. But I can think of a few times when one of Dave's charachters was mysteriously written out, when another one of them played a major role. For example, in the episode Uncle Matt Comes Home, that I recently saw on Youtube, Boober is seen at the beggining of the show when everyone is getting ready for Uncle Matt to come home. Boober even mentions that he's looking forward to seeing him again. But ironically, Boober never did get to see him. Boober mysteriously dissapeared with no explination shortly before Uncle Matt arrived, and wasn't seen again for the rest of the episode. Boober also dissapeared from the scene early on the second time Uncle Matt came to visit (and decided to move back to Fraggle Rock) in the episode titled "Uncle Matt's Discovery" Another example is in Capture the Moon, when The World's Oldest Fraggle was seen quite a bit during the episode, and Boober did not appear at all.
Also in "River of Life" Uncle Matt was there at the begginiing, when he had the idea of hauling water in Buckets from Water Wheel cavern, to the Fraggle Pond. Uncle Matt seemed to dissapear as soon as Boober got involved heavily in the storyline. In Doozer is as Doozer does which focused primarily on Wrench Doozer, another Goelz charachter, the Fraggles are only seen briefly, but it's only Gobo, Wembley, Red, and Mokey. One more example I can think of right off hand is Gunge the Great and Glorious, when Wrench Doozer was never seen when Phillo was on.

Now with all this info in mind. I notice a trend with Dave's charachters. Do you think that Dave didn't like other people performing his charachters or something like that? Because just about every other performer on FR had their charachters together more often than Dave's were. Please let me know your thoughts on this. :concern::cool::confused:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Actually yeah I had noticed that too, another one is "Capture the Moon." I guess it could have been a preference on his part. Also it was different with some of the other characters, like you HAD to have Gobo and the Trashheap in the same scenes, there was no way of getting around it.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
I know what you mean. They could have avoided having Gobo go to the Trasheap altogether. But that would have ruined a lot of awsome storylines. Also I saw Wembley and Flange together on the episode "Doozer Contest" he was the judge of the contest Flange and Modem were having. Gobo and Pa Gorg a few times. I thought it was hilarous in Wembley and the Gorgs when Gobo stabs Pa in the nose with his sword. :smirk:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah it's amazing what they did with the Fraggles and the Gorgs. Most of the time they didn't filmed their scenes together. The Fraggles performed their scenes separately against a blue screen. But you don't even think about it while you're watching the show.

Yeah I also find it hilariously ironic whenever Gobo and Pa Gorg have an altercation. lol

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
This may be a tad off topic. But did you notice how in the episode "Gone but not Forgotten" Gobo has The World's Oldest Fraggle have a talk with Wembley after his friend Mudwell dies? That seemed like the type of situation for the Trashheap and not the World's Oldest Fraggle. I dno. It just seemed rather out of place to me.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I haven't seen that one yet, though I really want to. I know roughly what it's about, but what happens in the scene?

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
Well I remember Gobo drags the World's Oldest Fraggle out to where Wembley is moping. He actually has him in his arms and he's carrying him. And he drops him on the ground, and says "Allright, if ANYONE can make Wembley feel better it's YOU" But I remember the World's Oldest Fraggle, didn't really help matters much, and he just rambled on a little bit, and sort of went off topic. I think it would have been much better if they went to see the Trasheap for advice in that one. Like they normally did at times like that. I don't know though, Mabye the set with the Trasheap wasn't available at the time. So they had to fill in the gap with the World's Oldest Fraggle. Food for thought.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmm yeah good point. I guess they might have wanted some humor in the episode since it's a rather sad one overall. Plus, ugh this sounds terrible, Gobo probably figured The World's Oldest knew a lot about death.

However, in retrospect the Trashheap would probably have been the better choice. She's sort of other worldly and doesn't need to worry about death as much, she likely knows it's not the end. But on the other hand, it's good for Wembley that he discovered it on his own.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
You know, I just watched Manny's Land of Carpets on Youtube. And I noticed another time Dave Goelz avoided having his charachters together. Both Boober and Large Marvin were seen in that episode quite a bit, but they were always in opposite sides, so you never got to see both of them on camera. I wonder if Dave Goelz was possesive over his charachters? LOL

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I've noticed this a few time myself, too! that's a good question and I wonder why? But in the "Fraggle Wars" episode The Worlds Oldest Fraggle and boober are seen in the same seen and both have speech in it, too.