Songs that should have been covered on Sesame Street

minor muppetz

Reaction score
During the early years of the show, it was more common for covers of songs to be sung on the show. What songs do you think would have been perfect for Sesame Street?

I think that "Big Girl's Don't Cry" would have been good. Whenever I hear that song, I feel like the singers sound like Jerry Nelson, Richard Hunt, and Christopher Cerf. Perhaps this song could have been sung by either Little Jerry and the Monotones or Chris and the Alphabeats.

Another song that would have been good is "We've Only Just Begun". Perhaps it could have featured many Muppets starting something.

What do you think?

ISNorden

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Another song that would have been good is "We've Only Just Begun". Perhaps it could have featured many Muppets starting something.

What do you think?
Unless it was done as a parody with new lyrics, I would've saved this song for Maria and Luis' wedding; some lines ("white lace and promises", "just the two of us") suggest that the "we" in the title is a newly married couple.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Maybe when Stevie Wonder made his appearance on SS, perhaps he could of done the song ''U Are The Sunshine of My Life.'' That song was also off his 1972 Bookends release and was a follow up to Superstition.

gigi

Reaction score
apart from oringianally being sung by a girl, "Walking on Sunshine" by kasey and the Sunshine Band covered by elmo and grover! that would be so cute!!

Gonzo14

Reaction score
what about other queen songs, like You're My Best Friend and Another One Bites the Dust

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
How about...

"SOS", "Knowing Me Knowing You", "Lay All Your Love On Me", and "Another Town, Another Train" by ABBA
"Happy Together" by the Turtles
"You've Got a Friend" by James Taylor
"I Go Crazy" by Paul Davis
"Nights of Broadway" and "Fanny (Be Tender With My Love)" by the Bee Gees
"Time of the Season" by the Zombies
"Baby Come Back" by Player
"Ain't Misbehavin'" by Fats Waller
"The Air That I Breathe" and "He Aint Heavy, He's My Brother" by the Hollies
"The Old Fashioned Way" by Charles Aznavour
"Wilkommen" from the musical "Cabaret"
"Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty
"Two Faces Have I" by Lou Christie
"Cars" by Gary Numan
"I Ran (So Far Away)" by a Flock of Seagulls
"Do You Know Where You're Going To?" and "Touch Me in the Morning" by Diana Ross
"Woman In Love", "What Kind of Fool", "Life Story", and "Make It Like A Memory" by Barbra Streisand

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Happy Together was done by the muppets

mikebennidict

Reaction score
So what? We're talking about SS here.

Also I think
it would be good to think of prioities that SS could of done with the songs that have been mentioned like the one I thought up about the Stevie Wonder song.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Also I think
it would be good to think of prioities that SS could of done with the songs that have been mentioned like the one I thought up about the Stevie Wonder song.
Good idea. Here are some ways that some of the songs could have been performed:

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother: a very small monster could carry a very big monster.
You've Gotta Friend: It could be started by Bob and then have Bob joined by Maria, Luis, Gordon, Susan, Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, Elmo, Zoe, and Herry Monster.
Happy Together: this could be sung by Maria with Grover, Elmo, Telly, Prairie Dawn, Biff, Sully, Sherlock Hemlock, and Hoots.
Baby Come Back: it could be sung by a celebrity who is supposed to be babysitting Natasha but loses her.
Two Faces Have I: I don't know what this songs about, but it could be sung by the Two-Headed Monster, or maybe an Anything Muppet, with his facial features being changed.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I deleted some of the posts because I felt they didn't fit the feel of what SS is about.

However, I have always felt that "Soul Man" would have been a good cover for Ernie and Bert, but sing about words that begin with the letter "O" and call it, "O Man!"