1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Sonia Manzano Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by peyjenk, May 5, 2008.

1. peyjenk

peyjenk Well-Known Member

Let's hear it for Sonia Manzano, our beloved Maria! Maria has always been my favorite human on Sesame Street... she's always been so loving and warm and big sisterly. I will never forget the way Oscar zips her off to the hospital in the Sloppy Jaloppy the night that Gabby was born... and the way she sang the "NO" song with Gina will always be in my heart... and the way she reluctantly goes to the Grouch restaurant in Follow That Bird.... ahh, the memories.

What are your favorite Maria memories?

2. mikebennidict

mikebennidict Well-Known Member

3. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets Well-Known Member

To many memories to count.:batty: But she is awesome and a wonderful person! Hoary for Mrs. Manzano:)

4. Son of Enik

Son of Enik Well-Known Member

Speaking as a half-Hispanic who grew up watching SS, I always loved Maria too. She had many classic moments, too many to list, Sonia Manzano is a treasure, hope she never leaves "The Street".

5. Ilikemuppets

It would be a great Ides if we posted Maria clips of moment that we remember of her!

6. armslength

armslength Active Member

Sonia is definately one of SS' underrated assets. She us always engaging, can be downright hysterically funny and warm and tender. Every now and then she can be just slightly hammy but given the context of her work - the audience and the fact that she often plays against Muppets, it totally works and i'm surprised she hasn't had more Emmy noms.

7. ISNorden

ISNorden Well-Known Member

Maria has always been my favorite human character on the Street since I was a girl; she usually knows how to solve problems and help everybody get along. Her being bilingual and musically talented don't hurt, either... :)

8. Ilikemuppets

I think she had had some as a writer.